My clowns prefer my branching hammers over anemones...

Spiritualquest1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried with a couple diff anemones but I hVe a mated pair and the branching hammer 5ey live in is doing noticeably better then my other lps euphylia family of corals it’s like the coral knows it’s not a threat and I have a Picasso clown but he just swims in the one corner most of the time this is in my 125 gallon mixed reef. Has anyone else noticed lps corals growing better when hosted by ocelarous clownfish? Just wondering lol..

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the symbiosis involves the clownfish bringing food to the coral/anemone, which is probably why they are doing better than the others. They are likely also benefitting from the clownfish's waste as key nutrients for better growth and coloration. I wish my Euphyllia would host my clowns.

OP
OP
Spiritualquest1984

Spiritualquest1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know anemones do that but I was surprised my lps corals did better when hosted, plus the one clown is a basic ocelarous but the male is a mocha hybrid which is why I was really surprised they mated maybe I’ll have my own hybrid morph if they have babies lol.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80fe9d099d00fc284a652607cd5bd5f9.jpg

Here you go, pair of Gladiator/Davinci the female stays in the frogspawn and the male in the hammer. This pair has not spawned yet. These 2 euphyllias do better than another frogspawn nearby. So I would say yes, they do benefit.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear my goniopora thrive insanely with my clown hosting it.

IMG_1301 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr
What kind of lighting do you use? Clowns seem to host anything.
I think the symbiosis involves the clownfish bringing food to the coral/anemone, which is probably why they are doing better than the others. They are likely also benefitting from the clownfish's waste as key nutrients for better growth and coloration. I wish my Euphyllia would host my clowns.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried with a couple diff anemones but I hVe a mated pair and the branching hammer 5ey live in is doing noticeably better then my other lps euphylia family of corals it’s like the coral knows it’s not a threat and I have a Picasso clown but he just swims in the one corner most of the time this is in my 125 gallon mixed reef. Has anyone else noticed lps corals growing better when hosted by ocelarous clownfish? Just wondering lol..

I had a couple of really nice hammers in an older tank I had. I bought a couple of very small clowns that almost immediately took to the colonies. As they grew....so did the hammers. They got so big I gave away large sections. My clowns were never too happy about the trimming...but settled in. I have since broken down that tank and given much of the corals away. I kept the clowns and moved them to my bigger system. They don't have any hammers.... but quickly took to some nems I have in there.

As someone else said... they do a nice job of feeding their hosts. I have a sunset and a rainbow nem....both were given to me by a friend. They have really thrived having the clown host in them. Great Color and Form.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back