My Coastal Inspired 55G long - Softies, Sponges, Macros and Worms

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much mate.
Sometimes feel like I spam it too much with boring stuff but glad you’ve enjoyed. Should be nice to look back to in a few years see how it’s come along.
Nah you don’t spam too much. I think everyone thinks they spam their build thread.

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, managed to see the tank for a maximum of 15 seconds today, and will be not seeing it for another month or so. Managed to have a super quick assessment of everything.
Got a couple things coming: An orange Frilly Sponge and a True Fiji Yellow Toadstool which I'm excited about as the pictures online look insane. Probably will not be able to get them in until a few weeks minimum.
Also got an Sochting Oxydator and some All-For-Reef to set up over the holdays.
I believe the Pink Nephthea is a "Scleronephthya" and hence Non-Photosynthetic. Not the Photosynthetic Litophyton or Stereonephthya of the true "Japanese" pink Neptheas. It however has showed some good poly extension and is not melting, but hopes arent high for the long run.
eW5KRUH.jpg

Managed to snap a FTS on the way out:
zH2f73y.jpg

And a wee pic of eddie and his anemone which has gone for a walk:
G8wlj0x.jpg

I am wondering if the fact he has walked to a higher spot means the lighting needs buffed up a bit

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, managed to see the tank for a maximum of 15 seconds today, and will be not seeing it for another month or so. Managed to have a super quick assessment of everything.
Got a couple things coming: An orange Frilly Sponge and a True Fiji Yellow Toadstool which I'm excited about as the pictures online look insane. Probably will not be able to get them in until a few weeks minimum.
Also got an Sochting Oxydator and some All-For-Reef to set up over the holdays.
I believe the Pink Nephthea is a "Scleronephthya" and hence Non-Photosynthetic. Not the Photosynthetic Litophyton or Stereonephthya of the true "Japanese" pink Neptheas. It however has showed some good poly extension and is not melting, but hopes arent high for the long run.
eW5KRUH.jpg

Managed to snap a FTS on the way out:
zH2f73y.jpg

And a wee pic of eddie and his anemone which has gone for a walk:
G8wlj0x.jpg

I am wondering if the fact he has walked to a higher spot means the lighting needs buffed up a bit
Glad to hear things are well! And is the anemone stinging that sps? And what kind of sps is that? It looks very natural and I dig it.

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear things are well! And is the anemone stinging that sps? And what kind of sps is that? It looks very natural and I dig it.
Honestly not thought of that, it could very well be. Unfortunatly nothing I can do about it so hope it doesn't do much damage in the next few weeks. And its a "pinky the bear" acropora. It's meant to be pink and green but mine doesnt look like that probably because my lights and the fact its a brand new tank ahah

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly not thought of that, it could very well be. Unfortunatly nothing I can do about it so hope it doesn't do much damage in the next few weeks. And its a "pinky the bear" acropora. It's meant to be pink and green but mine doesnt look like that probably because my lights and the fact its a brand new tank ahah
Ahhh, I see XD I really want some natural looking stuff like Fire Coral, Staghorn, Elkhoral. I know I can’t keep the last two and the first is hard to get your hands on so I’m looking for related or look alikes :)

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, I see XD I really want some natural looking stuff like Fire Coral, Staghorn, Elkhoral. I know I can’t keep the last two and the first is hard to get your hands on so I’m looking for related or look alikes :)
Not if u live in florida. Stuff stings me sometimes when diving. It's like the name implies feels like needles and fire.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if u live in florida. Stuff stings me sometimes when diving. It's like the name implies feels like needles and fire.
I lived in Florida for the longest time. I got stung before, but it’s a Floridian stony coral that can be obtained even if it can only be obtained through LR XD

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah put this one in other tanks its bright pink and green hahah. I think though with reatively white lighting most acro's and the likes will be a lot browner / natural looking. Only when blasted with blue's and UV do the pinks and greens and yellows pop out.
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing everything grow out
Thank you! This tanks for sure going to be a slow burner lol

Also think my watchman goby pair buried my golden and purple feather duster so it's prolly a gonner :(

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah put this one in other tanks its bright pink and green hahah. I think though with reatively white lighting most acro's and the likes will be a lot browner / natural looking. Only when blasted with blue's and UV do the pinks and greens and yellows pop out.

Thank you! This tanks for sure going to be a slow burner lol

Also think my watchman goby pair buried my golden and purple feather duster so it's prolly a gonner :(
Sometimes slow burners are the best tanks. Dang man, that sucks about the feather duster :(

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, hopefully hes still chilling under the sand but yeah the goby pair I love em but man they're a pain in the
I think when I am back I am going to add a bit more rock. These will all be right at the back, leaning against the back glass. Should add a fair bit more space for algaes and corals.

InkedzH2f73y_LI.jpg

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, Peter. Seeing all the stuff you have or what to keep in there (Xmas tree worms, sponges, gorgonians, NPS nephthiids, etc.), I'd strongly suggest trying the PNS products (PNS ProBio and PNS YelloSno). I manage the company that makes these products so I might be a little biased, but I can truly say that we've had great luck keeping these types of critters with these foods alone (including Dendronephthya). Sorry if I missed it earlier in thread, but is that a denitrifying filter at the far left side?

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, Peter. Seeing all the stuff you have or what to keep in there (Xmas tree worms, sponges, gorgonians, NPS nephthiids, etc.), I'd strongly suggest trying the PNS products (PNS ProBio and PNS YelloSno). I manage the company that makes these products so I might be a little biased, but I can truly say that we've had great luck keeping these types of critters with these foods alone (including Dendronephthya). Sorry if I missed it earlier in thread, but is that a denitrifying filter at the far left side?
Hi Kenneth!
So, I have actually used your PNS ProBio as an initial bacteria for the tank size, and have been very happy with the tank's start up and cycle so I'm sure it helped. Unfortunately, I'm over in Scotland so it comes with a slight shipping cost otherwise I would be a more regular customer lol.
And yep, its just a slow flow container with some seachem denitrate, pretty great for keeping the nitrates where I like em.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kenneth!
So, I have actually used your PNS ProBio as an initial bacteria for the tank size, and have been very happy with the tank's start up and cycle so I'm sure it helped. Unfortunately, I'm over in Scotland so it comes with a slight shipping cost otherwise I would be a more regular customer lol.
And yep, its just a slow flow container with some seachem denitrate, pretty great for keeping the nitrates where I like em.
That's great! One of our partner companies is going to be releasing a new (similar but saltwater-specific) product early next year and it'll be distributed in Europe, so I'll remember to send you a tip-off when it becomes available. :)

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 4 new goodies. Popped some food in for a photo shoot. Don’t forget to make sure it’s 1080/60 quality - I think you will need to click the title to go directly to YouTube be able to change it.
See if you can spot the new guys.

Last edited:

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 4 new goodies. Popped some food in for a photo shoot. Don’t forget to make sure it’s 1080/60 quality - I think you will need to click the title to go directly to YouTube be able to change it.
See if you can spot the new guys.

That sponge is new idn’t it?

Back