My coldwater marine tank (Norway)

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome! Seems like a great forum this! :)

Anyways, introducing my 180L (47 gallon) Juwel glass tank. Have no sump, so it looks a bit of a mess. It's been up and running for about 1,5 years now. My first ever saltwater tank, and my first tank at all for about 25 years... It's a coldwater tank exclusively filled with creatures from my own area (Hitra, Norway) that I've caught and picked myself. (I work as a crabfisherman, so I get a lot of interesting stuff in my traps during the season.) Here's a picture of the tank from a while ago.

IMG_2467.JPG

I ran the thing without a chiller for a long time, and that worked fine enough for the most part, but got a TECO TK 500 chiller eventually that I'm very happy with. Now able to keep the temperature at 15-16C (59-61F), which is good enough.

Made a short video a while ago about the setup that you can see here:

Also made some videos of some of the inhabitants if you're interested in seeing that. They're posted below. :)

Think I'll keep it relatively short here.. If there's any questions, I'm happy to reply. :)

There's been a lot of stuff in (and out) of the tank since I first started it, so I'll finish up with a few (lot) of pictures.

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

20191001_191803.jpg

20200131_152448.jpg

20191007_164609.jpg

20200914_151319.jpg
20190924_171621(0).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bullfrog

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice feedback everyone! Much appreciated! :)

I really enjoy your tank! What is your maintenance on it like?

Not too bad. I'm lucky enough to live by the ocean, so I just change about 50L of water regularly. I guess about every other week on average. I've been having a bit of an issue with nitrates, so sometimes more often to keep that at bay. I am also having a bit of an issue with algae right now though, as two of my hobbies collided... Had a growlight for pepper plants too close to the tank that really made the algae boom.. Planning on introducing some sea hares soon to see if they will make a dent.. :)

OP
OP
bullfrog

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I was thinking about a cold water set up for a while. are you part of the FB group for cold water tanks?
fun to see something different.

You should go for it! It's a lot of fun! :) I am, if you're thinking about "Coldwater marine aquarium owners"? It's a great resource for coldwater stuff! :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should go for it! It's a lot of fun! :) I am, if you're thinking about "Coldwater marine aquarium owners"? It's a great resource for coldwater stuff! :)
yup that's the one. after doing some research I was surprised how expensive all the critters and corals where + one needed a think tank so I gave up on the idea....for now anyway.

OP
OP
bullfrog

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup that's the one. after doing some research I was surprised how expensive all the critters and corals where + one needed a think tank so I gave up on the idea....for now anyway.
I see! I have heard that there are pretty strict rules about "collecting" yourself many places, and with the low amount of people into this, I guess the prices will be high. I'm lucky that there are no restrictions here, except for endangered species etc. I'm doing fine with a regular glass tank, but I have relatively low humidity here, so have no issues except for on the hottest summer days..

OP
OP
bullfrog

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! I have a cold water reef but it houses just nem's and a pair of catalina gobies. I can't get anything like what you have where I am. Your fish are so unique and entertaining!
Cool! Glad to see there's more of us with cold water tanks here! :) Catalina gobies are beautiful fish though! I'm curious, do you collect yourself, or buy?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Glad to see there's more of us with cold water tanks here! :) Catalina gobies are beautiful fish though! I'm curious, do you collect yourself, or buy?

I wish! I am very far from the ocean so I have to buy.

OP
OP
bullfrog

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an awesome tank! Did you paint the back wall blue?
Thanks! :) Nah, it's a "background poster" that was on the tank when I bought it. Thought it fit in pretty good, so I kept it.

That is the best cold water set up I have seen!
Thanks a lot for the kind words! Really appreciate it! :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back