My conch snail has a hitchhiker (of some sort)! Help!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how much I have learned today searching for information! I actually found the answer to a question I've had for a couple of years. LOL! The hunt is the fun.

I bet you have made my top 5 interesting hunt for the year.

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how much I have learned today searching for information! I actually found the answer to a question I've had for a couple of years. LOL! The hunt is the fun.

I bet you have made my top 5 interesting hunt for the year.
Well there ya go, it was meant to be! Ha. I appreciate your interest.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 2 for slipper limpet and 2 for juvenile conch...... hopefully we'll know the winner soon :)

What are you! Tell us! TELL US!!!

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about a Cowrie
Thank you for the reply, bandit994. That is an interesting guess! Although my guys kinda look like a Cowrie in body, the shell is not the same. It is not shiny at all but that's not to say I don't have some type of one. I briefly looked into them after your guess and I hope it's not. From my reading, some adults eat corals! Another thing about these guys is that they appear to be sessile (if I am using the correct term for stationary) with the exception of moving around from under their "shell" and taxicab riding on my conch!

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is when I first looked at it it looked like the head of a vermited snail. Now I think it is a black stommatella. Hard looking at a pic with a little phone

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451926006.408783.jpg

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K I got some of it to load. I think it's the reef is making a remake of alien and that the part were the alien emerges from the host............ I have no idea what it is [emoji51]

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that you are right about them being sessile. I just have never seen any of the sessile limpet or snails send out those black things.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't seem to be bothering the conch at all. What's interesting is they are a sessile type of mollusk, but they don't seem to filter the water column. Makes me wonder how they survive riding on the back of a conch. Could you get some pictures of the shell structure of these things under good light? That might help lead to an ID.

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't seem to be bothering the conch at all. What's interesting is they are a sessile type of mollusk, but they don't seem to filter the water column. Makes me wonder how they survive riding on the back of a conch. Could you get some pictures of the shell structure of these things under good light? That might help lead to an ID.
I was trying to take more pictures and video this morning but the conch wasn't cooperating. She kept moving about and changing the angle making it difficult. I will try again later on this evening. Seems as if when she is close to the sand they get all excited and start to "touch it". Yesterday, she "sat" on them all day. Maybe they feed off the floor?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back