My copper accident experience in my reef tank

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post this to try to give others hope. All is not lost if copper accidentally gets in your system!

About 6 months ago I had my sump moved from under my tank to the back room. It’s a 225 gallon display and 75 gallon sump loaded with hundreds of pounds of live rock and deep sand bed. The tank has been running for 8 years. Over the 6 month period things slowly started going badly. I started losing corals then snails. Then the crabs died and all the macro algae. All the coralline bleached out and the live rock turned black. I then started losing a few fish. All the while I was trying to figure out what had gone so wrong. All my water parameters were good for what I tested.

I finally got advice it could be copper but did not believe that could have been possible. I bought a copper test kit and it was off the charts for copper. I started digging around thinking something fell in or equipment died. After finding nothing I looked behind the walls on a hunch. Low and behold they used shark bite brass fittings on my returns. I immediately cut them out and replaced with pvc but what I saw was unbelievable! The entire inside of the brass was eaten away. I could almost push my finger through the fitting with how much material was missing on the 4 fittings. Obviously copper is a major component of brass and my tank had been severely poisoned.

I read literally hundreds of articles telling me all was lost and I would have to start over costing thousands of dollars to replace tank, plumbing, rock, sand, etc (prob close to $10k). As I was giving up hope and leave the hobby I found an article here on this site that gave me a little hope.

I listened to the advice on their post and I did the following: I bought Cuprisorb, carbon, and poly-filters. The cuprisorb seemed to work slowly as it took a long time to change colors but I recharged it weekly for 8 weeks. Carbon I have no idea if it helped or not but I changed out several pounds weekly. The poly-filter is the bomb. I cut strips and placed in the baffles of the sump and it would turn blue and I would replace it. I have no idea how much I used over the 2 month period.

Every 2 days I would use a turkey baster to blast the live rock and disturb the sand. The skimmer went crazy pulling all the dead gunk out and had to be dumped daily for the first month. After 2 months of treatment I still was testing at .15 copper and was about to call it quits when I noticed movement on the live rock. I took a flashlight and saw little rock bugs had returned. I have no idea how they were able to return or where they came from but they were indeed there. They were everywhere on the rock. Over the treatment period there was nothing on the rock. It went from black to brown to white to green over the 2 months but never before had there been signs of life. I kept the fish in the tank with no I’ll effect but that was all that I ever saw alive prior to then.

I went to lfs and bought a hermit crab. Acclimated him and tossed him in. Success! He lived. I bought 20 more and all thrived. A week later copper still tested at .15 and polyfilters still turned blue but much much slower I tried a few snails and they have survived and thriving. I just tried a few polyp corrals and they opened up and look good. Some of the coralline has started to return to rock and glass as well.

Individual results may vary obviously but in my case I dodged a bullet it seems. It took a while and cost me thousands in corrals and cleanup crew initially but I did not have to replace everything like I was told I would have to. I really credit the poly-filter for the success. I plan to keep them in use until they no longer turn blue over a 30 day period.

Sorry for long post but I wanted to share with others that may have a similar issue that all is not guaranteed lost no matter what some people will tell you.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad your tank turned out ok. Normally we talk about ionic copper like Cuprion or Cupramine or chelated copper like Copper Safe or Copper Power, which we know are usually deadly to inverts, etc. in tanks. I wonder what form the copper took as it dissolved into solution from your fittings?
@Brew12
@Randy Holmes-Farley

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple pictures of the fittings. Does not due it justice.

upload_2019-1-18_22-27-1.jpeg

upload_2019-1-18_22-27-24.jpeg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a plumber/contractor move the sump for you? That's pretty crazy! Glad the tank is starting to turn around now that you have found the issue!

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a plumber/contractor move the sump for you? That's pretty crazy! Glad the tank is starting to turn around now that you have found the issue!

Someone that should have known better but I did not specify the fittings, only pipe had to be plastic. I made the mistake of assuming saying I wanted plastic piping would have been all plastic. I was not aware of this quick plumbing that uses plastic tubing with brass fittings. Apparently that is common now with newer homes. I have no recourse against installer. You live you learn. The hard way sometimes.

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well update. I wanted to try something new to try to speed things up so I bought the detox product from Triton. I followed directions by removing all carbon and my polyfilters and dosed the the tank. Fish DID NOT like it. Water turns nasty brown for a few days and skimmer goes crazy with a greasy fluid. After 3 days I used carbon and the water cleared up. No lasting impact to the fish and they are acting normal. Now the unexpected part.... my copper levels have actually gone up and snails started dying and had to pull corals. Not sure what happened but it was not what I expected. Maybe it pulled more copper out of sand/rock? No idea but now I’m back to .2. copper and dying cleanup crew. I’m going to dose the detox one more cycle and test again. If no improved results I’m going straight back to poly filters and see if I can get it back to at least .15 where snails and Zoas we’re doing good.

sandswhitson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Hopefully the poly filter will eventually pull it all out.

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly update. I think I know the mistake I made. I am guessing detox is what you use to polish off the copper removal. I think I had a lot of copper left and slowly leaching at a non toxic level. Putting in detox seems to have pulled it out faster at a toxic level? Just a guess.

I did a second treatment and put carbon and polyfilters back yesterday. Copper is now testing back to about .15 so not sure if detox really helped or not. I’ll try the last dose when poly filter stops turning blue. I put few snails back in at .15 last night and they are still alive and doing well today. I’ll wait to update again until the poly filters stop turning. Stay tuned......

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple pictures as I had a hard time finding photos and comparisons when I was doing my initial searching.

Cuprisorb 24 hours after end of detox treatment

Second pic is a comparison left polyfilter is 24 hours after the 2 detox treatments and the right is 24 hours after initial usage. Definitely not as blue as it was initially and also a little brown so assuming that’s actually detox it’s pulling out or maybe result of the snail die off after using detox?

F242872E-DF82-4DCA-B60A-DCA1413AB5D8.jpeg

2111D537-D04F-41FD-A3BE-36F3B73877A1.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m now 12 weeks into recovery. Things are continuing to progress. Copper is down to .1 and everything is doing well. I actually added a tuxedo urchin and a serpent star this last week. Both are doing well. Poly filter is still turning blue but takes much longer and the blue is much lighter in color. I’ll try to post a picture in the morning.

I will continue to update until I hit zero copper on the test and no color change on the poly filter.

I got a message asking what my cost was so far to eliminate the copper. I added it up and only including the remediation cost, I’m about $160 in polyfilters, cuprisorb, detox, and carbon.

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as an update..... Still showing copper but taking much longer for poly filters to turn blue. Everything seems to be doing well. I think addition of a diamond goby has really helped me get more copper out by constantly disturbing the sand. I still turkey baster the live rock to help try to pull the copper out. Going two full weeks before changing poly filters vs 24 hours. Honestly if I did not test for cooper I would not even know it was in the tank still. I’ll keep it up until the filters no longer change to try to pull it all out so that leeching won’t build it back up.

Couple of questions I received: what filter I used so I’ll attach that. I also had questions on livestock sensitivity. My personal experience was the cerith snails were extremely copper sensitive and died even in lower copper. The Nassrius snails were my rock stars and the first to survive copper up to about .15. Nothing snailwise really lives above .15 and almost everything lives around .10. Hermit crabs and coralline lived up to about .2. Above .2 is when everything started to suffer and started having fish loss. Seems like a small range but that’s how it has worked for me.

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with these smaller pads but it was more economical to go with the large pad and cut to shape. Both made by same place and only difference I saw was the size. Could not find locally so just bought from amazon to get them in quickly. I suspect local LFS may have them but did. It have time or energy. Amazon makes me kinda lazy lol.

0E618349-9CAB-42CA-AE25-D2862BB5BC1B.jpeg

0BC28593-C49F-4D19-8DAB-91AF6573FC75.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Reefer963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same bag of cuprisorb and same poly filter section. Both fresh on 2/7, and this is what they look like right now. Maybe hard to see but you can definitely see the white parts of the cuprisorb have started turning pale blue. I’ll just rinse for now and wait to recharge until the blue shade is at least 2x as blue in color depth. The poly filter is trash and I’ll be cutting new pieces to put in.

FBAD5342-C3EE-4AF5-8AE6-12260262F73F.jpeg

4A5023E7-D125-49F8-8EF1-48A6E587C980.jpeg

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really nice. happy for you that things are looking up. congrats on the perseverance. thanks for sharing

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's quite the experience, glad you were able to find a way to fix this without tearing everything apart.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back