My Coral Collection - photo intense!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous photos.
I might have missed this in the posts, but what are your decisions on the calcium reactor?
How would you connect the reactor to the KH Director?

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous photos.
I might have missed this in the posts, but what are your decisions on the calcium reactor?
How would you connect the reactor to the KH Director?

Hey Janci. I had decided to transition to a calcium reactor on my new build and purchased a Dastaco reactor for it, however it is too large to go into my current system. I’ve been getting tired of my doser never being dialed in so a buddy is spotting me his Geo 618 reactor to throw on my current set up while the other build is being done.

The KH director won’t work with the reactor but it will send me a DKH reading every two hours which will help me dial in the reactor.

I can use it to fine tune the reactor as well, but not sure if I’ll go that route.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Pirates Reef Corals. I had a colony before and am just now regrowing it. Its a golden brown body with highlighter color tips. Def isn't red like fox flame.
Good to know, that's where mine is from as well. Just looking very similar to fox flame atm.

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what kind of camera, lens and cameras settings do you use?

Camera is a Nikon D3400
Lens is a Tamron 90mm macro
Settings vary. Usually for Tripod shots I’m around 10 shutter, 12 F-Stop, 100-200 ISO

I shoot in RAW and adjust white balance post shoot in Lightroom.

Kimmi2413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a few issues. When I first added the 60 to my system the egg crate leeched so bad That the algae pulled my nutrients to zero. I fought it for months and finally had to pull the crate out to get my Po4 and No3 back above 0.

Then I had a buddy do a tank buyout and got a ton of Red Sea foundations chem that he offered me. Once I started I noticed my alk drawing down again, but my tank was recovering from the low nutrients so I assumed it was increased consumption.

Fast forward 3 months and I’m dosing 240ml of alk a day to compete with what I thought was consumption. I finally ran out of that alk and ordered some from BRS and I jumped 2 dkh. The old chem was bad and the new stuff at 240ml a day skyrocketed it. Lost 2 HW colonies, few Disney’s, confetti colony, jawdropper colony....lots of stuff

Now that I came across this I also use Red Sea chemicals. Everything has been doing great then all of a sudden my acros started dying and I’m breaking my head wondering how the hell. So I started a new bottle of alk and figures that’s when my corals start dying I also noticed a drop in alk so raised the dosing amount so now I’m thinking mines might of been because of this same issue

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I came across this I also use Red Sea chemicals. Everything has been doing great then all of a sudden my acros started dying and I’m breaking my head wondering how the hell. So I started a new bottle of alk and figures that’s when my corals start dying I also noticed a drop in alk so raised the dosing amount so now I’m thinking mines might of been because of this same issue

Well just to be clear I don’t think my issue was Red Sea products themselves, my issue is I got expired products from s buddy who did a tank buy out and I didn’t realize they had gone bad.

I still use Red Sea foundations and haven’t had an issue like that since.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Janci. I had decided to transition to a calcium reactor on my new build and purchased a Dastaco reactor for it, however it is too large to go into my current system. I’ve been getting tired of my doser never being dialed in so a buddy is spotting me his Geo 618 reactor to throw on my current set up while the other build is being done.

The KH director won’t work with the reactor but it will send me a DKH reading every two hours which will help me dial in the reactor.

I can use it to fine tune the reactor as well, but not sure if I’ll go that route.

What a bummer on the Dastaco.
I have one and the thing runs so smooth.
You would love it. Once set, no more counting bubbles. Just a little twist of the knob when necessary.

Tracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I think this is the best colour I have ever seen, just beautiful. What advice would you give to someone running a large tank with T5's wanting to add LED? I am considering adding reefbrites to T5's or switching out T5's to Radions.

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I think this is the best colour I have ever seen, just beautiful. What advice would you give to someone running a large tank with T5's wanting to add LED? I am considering adding reefbrites to T5's or switching out T5's to Radions.

I prefer T5s over radions honestly. And def add some sort of LED strip to accent your T5s. Reefbrite XHOs add a nice pop to the colors even when all bulbs are on.

JasonBossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had time to enjoy this phenomenal pack that @Russo757 sent! 10000% confident in all of these coral. Extremely healthy w/ PE in the container! If your looking for the best of the best, look no further and load your tank with fire! Thanks Ryan!
16DBC68F-B6AA-4FCE-AE40-E4A91A5594FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Tracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was hoping you would say that, saves me thousands. Did I miss a page in this thread where you might detail your equipment, nutrient export?

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was hoping you would say that, saves me thousands. Did I miss a page in this thread where you might detail your equipment, nutrient export?

Yes, I’ve covered all the main topics like lighting, flow, and nutrients.
Scroll back and if you can’t find it shoot me a PM with any specific questions

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the KH Director:

The unit has been up and running since Sunday and working like a champ. I'm currently running a test every two hours and my Alk readings have been between 8.0 - 8.2. I've checked this against my Hanna and it seems to be spot on, with a occasional variance of .1 if any. Despite being a complete SOB to set up, the KH director is def worth the investment thus far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back