OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By request, this is a Pectinia I took in from a friend briefly. He couldn't figure out what was going on with it, but it kept receding (not the same as yours, but it's the only Pectinia example I have). I used my normal protocol, but I noticed a ton of pods (see second photo for detail) that came out at night. They were definitely bothering the coral, and they weren't on my other coral. I didn't have a microscope at the time, so I'm not sure what they were. So I used a higher dosage of Bayer that knocked them all out in one swoop. The coral immediately started expanding and gaining color. I gave the coral back shortly afterward. (If you haven't noticed, my photography skills are lacking!)

One thing that might help you is that I've noticed coral seem to regrow faster if you knock down the high points and remove excess skeleton. Take a look at how little skeleton remains in the second photo as compared to the first.

Slide6.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took in a frogspawn with both gha algae and sponge on the heads (all of the heads are receded, but they still have tissue in them). What would you recommend to remove the gha and encrusting sponge?

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took in a frogspawn with both gha algae and sponge on the heads (all of the heads are receded, but they still have tissue in them). What would you recommend to remove the gha and encrusting sponge?
Hi! Somehow I missed this. I'm so sorry!

Feel free to shoot me a pic or post up for everyone to see and offer suggestions. Are the gha and sponge just there because of an opportunity or do you think they're actively harming the coral? (There are invasive sponges.) If things aren't actively harming the coral, I try to hold off until the coral is more healthy. Think of it as elective surgery versus trauma surgery.

Do you have any history of what happened to the coral? A thorough history can help.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefdup,

Your dipping protocol uses 3 or 2 separate treatments. Do you administer these back to back on intake, or wait some time between for initial dips?

Sincerely thankful for your work and public publishing of your methods and results. It’s not “science,” it’s better based upon your results.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefdup,

Your dipping protocol uses 3 or 2 separate treatments. Do you administer these back to back on intake, or wait some time between for initial dips?

Hi! I do them all back-to-back. It probably sounds stressful, but I monitor the corals carefully. Plus, the dips usually eliminate the original source of stress to the coral. All corals get another set of dips a month later too. If I see signs of any particular problem, the corals get special treatments in addition.

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorites, and I still have it (even though it's usually brownish-green - the white squiggles are a challenge to maintain). It has been with me in Utah, Nevada, and now Virginia.

Slide46.JPG

rizkisofani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im trying to safe this any advise?

Attachments

• IMG-20220115-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20220115-WA0004.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 49

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any tips on getting a torch coral back to health? I have been trying to heal mine for about 4 months and things are only getting worse. I have been feeding coral foods as often as possibly and giving some frozen food as well. I recently dipped the coral and it seemed to make it even more upset and then was hit with Dino’s (still currently have it) and it’s not doing good at all. Do you have any tips or experiences with torches?

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any tips on getting a torch coral back to health? I have been trying to heal mine for about 4 months and things are only getting worse. I have been feeding coral foods as often as possibly and giving some frozen food as well. I recently dipped the coral and it seemed to make it even more upset and then was hit with Dino’s (still currently have it) and it’s not doing good at all. Do you have any tips or experiences with torches?

This is another oddity. For whatever reason, I've never received a torch to rescue (everyone always seems to keep them until it's too late.)

I'm happy to try to help. Please point me to a thread you've started so the whole community can engage.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another oddity. For whatever reason, I've never received a torch to rescue (everyone always seems to keep them until it's too late.)

I'm happy to try to help. Please point me to a thread you've started so the whole community can engage.
I’ll create a thread and I’ll post updates. I’ll make sure to tag you.

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the support. Sorry it has been so long. The recategorization of a lot of corals (e.g., Acanthastrea to Micromussa) meant I had a lot of cataloging to update. Then, my computer crashed right after I finished... and I didn't have a backup copy. ARGH! I'm still going through everything.

But here are some before/after gems:

Slide140.JPG

Slide194.JPG

Slide37.JPG

Slide44.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back