OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened today!! (Not a rehab, but still cool all the same!)

IMG_0010 (83).JPG

IMG_0059 (38).JPG

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really been enjoying watching this one grow; it's about twice the size shown now. It's in the shape of a heart (about to split), so my kids think it's amazing especially since Valentine's Day is coming up!

Slide174.JPG

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now fragged this one a few times (it frags well), so hopefully this will be a great sustainable source for bubble corals. My grow-out colony is below (for fragging), and I have a similarly-sized one in my display.

Slide226.JPG

20210618_122640.jpg

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaBiomics has an excellent protocol for the treatment of brown jelly with ciprofloxacin btw. I’ve used it for LPS, especially goniopora, with 100% success.

Yes, the treatment by @AquaBiomics has been quite crucial in a few cases I've had (no impact on the above-posted Goniopora though). However, I've had to modify the protocol a bit (my situation is also a bit different than the standard hobbyist). One of these days, I'd like to do bacterial monitoring over a few months on my quarantine tank, as it frequently gets all sorts of decaying corals. About every three months I have an outbreak of BJD, so I would like to understand it a bit more.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, for Goniopora I’ve done high dose but short term treatments. 42g/L of ciprofloxacin combined with equal amounts of 4:1 amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for 24 hours. Someday I’ll do a write-uo about it.

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, for Goniopora I’ve done high dose but short term treatments. 42g/L of ciprofloxacin combined with equal amounts of 4:1 amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for 24 hours. Someday I’ll do a write-uo about it.

I'd love to hear more about your protocols. Unfortunately I have no access to prescription antibiotics.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that severely limits your treatment capabilities, but I know they’re difficult to find for most :( what country are you in?

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that severely limits your treatment capabilities, but I know they’re difficult to find for most :( what country are you in?
I'm in the U.S. It's becoming harder and harder to obtain certain medications, so I'm frequently worried how much longer I can continue rehabilitating corals. Hopefully professionals will find a way to scale this up and have access to the right medications.

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a branching Cyphastrea that was dying. As long as I kept the skeleton clean of algae, it was a pretty easy rehab. Within a year, it was encrusted and growing great (and two frags went on to new homes recently!)

Slide61.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the coral that solidified my obsession with rehab'ing corals. I still have it today - going on 14 years.

This was in the "bargain bin" of a LFS, and that was really the only area in which I could afford to shop at the time. This coral has lived with me in four different states all across the country (United States). (Apparently I forgot to put the "after" date, which was 2 July 2010.)

Slide63.JPG

This is about the size I try to keep it so it won't overtake my tank (larger than softball size). It has been fragged countless times (about once every three years) and has gone on to populate many other tanks. Talk about rewarding!

IMG_0057 (2).JPG

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened today!! (Not a rehab, but still cool all the same!)

IMG_0010 (83).JPG

IMG_0059 (38).JPG
This is just incredible! Did you try to harvest any of the gametes to settle out? Do you feed anything in particular to the tank, and do you know how long this coral has been in your care?
I'm collecting data for a project I plan to start later this year; I'm attempting to spawn Cynarina in captivity. The data is definitely hard to find xD

OP
OP
ReefdUp

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just incredible! Did you try to harvest any of the gametes to settle out? Do you feed anything in particular to the tank, and do you know how long this coral has been in your care?
I'm collecting data for a project I plan to start later this year; I'm attempting to spawn Cynarina in captivity. The data is definitely hard to find xD

Thank you! Ah, I can't take credit for this one. I had just bought it from a mature tank (it's one of my favorite Acroporas: the Upscales Microclados). I contacted the previous owner, and he hadn't observed anything going on in his tanks (likely just because the late time Acropora corals spawn).

Spawning Cynarina? This sounds amazing! I'd love to read about your strategy! (What cool corals - and we definitely need a sustainable source.)

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a pretty blasto that's in bad shape from day 1 from the vendor. Colors are still there, mouth still opening/closing, but the flesh is withdrawn all the way in.

You mentioned a 5 second peroxide dip. Is that RODI/peroxide mix? If so, what's the ratio. Or, just peroxide?

Also, do you recommend the CoralRX dip right after, or wait how long?

TIA

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Ah, I can't take credit for this one. I had just bought it from a mature tank (it's one of my favorite Acroporas: the Upscales Microclados). I contacted the previous owner, and he hadn't observed anything going on in his tanks (likely just because the late time Acropora corals spawn).

Spawning Cynarina? This sounds amazing! I'd love to read about your strategy! (What cool corals - and we definitely need a sustainable source.)
Microclados is a really beautiful species, I've got a coral from BattleCorals called 'Sky Parade' that I'm 99% sure is A. microclados. I'm loving the smooth, rounded corallites.

So far, I've found two documented cases of Cynarina spawning in captivity, both from 2000-2005 (though the list I read was quite old too). One was male and the other was female, both from separate tanks and one of which had just been added to the tank a few weeks prior. Not much data from those events, but I took what I could get xD The same list had several cases of Macrodactyla doreensis spawning in home aquariums too, which is the other species I plan to target with this project. I wanted to do Indophyllia and Acanthophyllia as well, but I'd be paying tens of thousands of dollars just for broodstock if I were to start with those xD Maybe if I can get an endorsement or something I'll try that next.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back