My coral went from this to this, what happened?

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two pictures of my coral, it changed within the past couple.kf hours. All the other coral looks fine. It's done this before, but I just want to make sure it's normal.

What should I do?

Screenshot_20210117-135640.png Screenshot_20210117-135659.png

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something irritated it. If it stays like that long term it is bad news and it will starve. But occasionally closing up is ok. Watch it for a while and make sure it opens back up and keep an eye out for stuff(fish, snail, pest, flow sometimes) that is making it unhappy and if it does it a lot, do something to mitigate that.

OP
OP
Jmm07e

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something irritated it. If it stays like that long term it is bad news and it will starve. But occasionally closing up is ok. Watch it for a while and make sure it opens back up and keep an eye out for stuff(fish, snail, pest, flow sometimes) that is making it unhappy and if it does it a lot, do something to mitigate that.
How long should I keep an eye on it before taking action? I was thinking if it's still closed up this evening, check everything, test everything. It could be something as simple as the peppermint cleaner shrimp touching it, but want to be sure.

OP
OP
Jmm07e

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you put it in the tank? I would suggest monitoring for a couple of days first.
It's been in the tank for more than a week. Still new, the lights arf on acclimation mode. It's looked really healthy so far.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I keep an eye on it before taking action? I was thinking if it's still closed up this evening, check everything, test everything. It could be something as simple as the peppermint cleaner shrimp touching it, but want to be sure.
Couple days or so. They can be closed up for a few days and be fine, as long as they open up after and stay open frequently to get enough light/food. My coral also hate my cleaner shrimp lol, but usually open up pretty quick from him bugging them.

OP
OP
Jmm07e

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked alkalinity, seemed a little bit low, so I added .5 ml of carbonate, it's a nano tank.

Almost instantly I can def the coral starting to open. Hopefully that's what was causing.

I'll continue to test everything.

Normally I test like one thing a day. Whether all, mag, calc, or trace elements.

OP
OP
Jmm07e

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh, they closed up again. I also turned my acclimation lights up from 50% to 75%.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine now
Good deal! New to tank coral can be like that sometimes, i really wouldnt sweat it unless its been like a full day without opening at all for the first couple weeks. (Unless you have some chemistry out of whack, them by all means do something! Just dont make sudden swings, gradual is usually best) After a few weeks or a month, it should hit a rhythm and you will be able to guage its 'mood'.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cloves have mood swings
Moderate light and water flow
Salinity 1.025
Temp 76-79
Ph 8.0-8.3
Nitrate < .05
Phosphate < .04

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I add new corals my hermits always swarm them and irritate them for an hour or so when i introduce them to the tank.
I can attest to this, hermits and my sexy shrimps. Anything new needs to get past their customs inspection.

Back