My crazy cheap setup 29$ 29 Gallon Mix Reef tank Anniversary with seven happy fishes

daedal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just would like to share my experience and journey about my tank from past one year which ignore a lot exist rule. Actual I am using one inches fish for one gallon which end up ok. As there are a lot bacteria dose and much better bioball which can increase the whole bioload greatly comparing to old days so I decide to try these idea by myself.

It is a 29 G tank I got from Petco which is 29$ when it is on sell.
Filter: two Aqua Clear 70 on the back; One MarineLand Magnum Polishing Internal Canister, two ten dollars surface filter inside the tank. At first the internal filter looks weired to me but now I am get use to it.

As I am living in Florida so I save the money for heater. I hang two baskets of bioball.
30 pounds of sand and 30 pounds of living rocks. 40$ Marine LED light from AMAZON
So the total cost is around 300-400 USD
Then last year black Friday I got my seven fishes:
1. Coral Beauty -- 3 inches grown to about 5 inches -- It is the king of the tank which rule the order of the tank. It is funny to see it push the fish mess around to the corner sometime.
2/3. Couple of ORA True Pescular Clown Fish
Female -- 3.5 inches Male 2 inches --- They are happy couples from beginning but the female start to be very aggresive recently and even bite my hand when I put into the tank. The good thing is they are respect the old resident but very mean to new fishes which prevent I put any new fishes in.
4. HawkFish -- 3.5 inches --- He easts all the shrimp I put into the tank so it is a no shrimp tank. No one dare to bother him and he did not bother anyone else.
5.Sixline Basse -- 1 inches grown to 2 inches --- It is the little brother in the tank. Sometime mess around and be taught a lesson by bigger fishes.
6, Pajama Carinal -- 2 inches --- He just stay at top corner silence. And if some fishes come near by he just swim away.
7, ORA NEON Dottyback 5 inches --- Mess around and be chase by the Female Clownfish at the first couple months to the back of the rock. Because it is quick so no one can real hurt it. Now he becomes a nice citizen of the tank and be free to swim at the front without anyone bother him.
--- All these fishes live happily in the tank for the whole years
--- Feed pellet twice a day
--- Do 8 gallons water change every month

One the road I did lost one 4 inches blue spot puff at around half year because of the teeth issue. I am trying to replace it with a small Blue Tang but end up The Female Clown Fish chased the tang all around which I must return the tang for store credit. I am settling for seven fishes now.

One 3 inches Green Bubble Tip Anemone; two rock anemones; couple zoes; Monti; etc. Just to add some color to the tank but the major is fishes.

I will keep on update my experiment on my tank. Plan to put more soft coral into it.
I am using an old desk to support the tank which is not stable so I got a wood leg from homedepot to strong it. It works so far so good.

IMG-6473.jpg IMG-6478.jpg IMG-6474.jpg IMG-6482.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for creative setups, but please don't add a tang unless it's a very short-term living arrangement while you upgrade to a larger tank. You've got a lot of large fish for such a small tank, so I don't think you want to look at adding many (if any) more.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back