My Custom Tank Builder Going Out of Business... Now What?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries I just wanted to let others know that CRA had awesome tanks and the story behind them closing that's all. I agree I would be pretty upset over it all as well. Atleast it seems the OP will have no issues getting his money back and he can start fresh with another builder :)

I will second that, I have absolutely ZERO complaints about the staff, they were always accommodating and took the time to explain the options and talk through the decision-making process.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm gathering from the responses I should start with the following builders:

Crystal Dynamics
Miracles
Reef Savvy
SCA
Tank Me

Wish me luck!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm gathering from the responses I should start with the following builders:

Crystal Dynamics
Miracles
Reef Savvy
SCA
Tank Me

Wish me luck!

I would add atleast Planet Aquariums to that list myself. The only trick with them is you have to go through an LFS to order as they don't deal directly with the public. If you don't have an LFS near by then maybe skip them...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add atleast Planet Aquariums to that list myself. The only trick with them is you have to go through an LFS to order as they don't deal directly with the public. If you don't have an LFS near by then maybe skip them...

yeah look into planet. I have no LFS with 100+ miles they would build be a tank no problem. the shipping was a big hit, however if you can have it delivered to a stop on there normal route it's so much cheaper.
worth reaching out .

PS nice dems on the tank. only thing I would change is make it a peninsula...LOL

PSS. waterbox used to do custom tanks aswell. might be worth reaching out they are very responsive. I bet you would get a replay with in a few hours. or better yet give there CS team a call.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, where do I go from here?

I just got notification from the business owner this morning, that the company I was using for my new tank build is no longer solvent and I will not be receiving the tank that I ordered.

I am so down right now, I was so excited that my new tank delivery was imminent, did all the prep work to get the tank site ready by evaluating the floor load and putting in a new electric circuit and outlets, completed my stocking list plan... Now I have to start from scratch!!! ;Drowning;Drowning;Drowning

Luckily I paid via Credit Card (don't worry, was just for the points, I paid it all back haha) so I am guaranteed a full refund. It's just that the idea of finding a new builder and going through the designing process back-and-forth, and then waiting another 3-6 months for the tank to be built is just leaving me super-bummed out and discouraged.

I guess what I'm really asking is, should I take this as a sign that I should not be re-entering the hobby? Like, I almost just feel like scrapping the plan completely, that the Universe is trying to tell me I'm not meant to be a reefer at this stage in my life.

What do you guys think? Anyone dealt with anything like this before?

Feeling discouraged.

Take it as a sign that theres a better company out there for the same price

John Glenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a tank from Crystal Dynamics Aquarium and boy am I a happy man! This is my 3rd tank from them. It’s a custom build that’s 60x36x24. Really nice. You should check them out.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so far Miracles was the 1st to respond with a quote, I'll wait it out and do my due diligence. But I gotta say, very impressed with Derek and his response time!

So any of you that are watching this thread and have a tank by Miracles, sound off and let me know how your experience went.

Thanks!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so far Miracles was the 1st to respond with a quote, I'll wait it out and do my due diligence. But I gotta say, very impressed with Derek and his response time!

So any of you that are watching this thread and have a tank by Miracles, sound off and let me know how your experience went.

Thanks!

My 125 peninsula was built by Miracles, love every bit of it. If you look back on the thread I posted earlier you will find my VERY detailed review on my tank. It's a long read so I don't want to type it all out again lol, call me lazy.

aquariumworks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, where do I go from here?

I just got notification from the business owner this morning, that the company I was using for my new tank build is no longer solvent and I will not be receiving the tank that I ordered.

I am so down right now, I was so excited that my new tank delivery was imminent, did all the prep work to get the tank site ready by evaluating the floor load and putting in a new electric circuit and outlets, completed my stocking list plan... Now I have to start from scratch!!! ;Drowning;Drowning;Drowning

Luckily I paid via Credit Card (don't worry, was just for the points, I paid it all back haha) so I am guaranteed a full refund. It's just that the idea of finding a new builder and going through the designing process back-and-forth, and then waiting another 3-6 months for the tank to be built is just leaving me super-bummed out and discouraged.

I guess what I'm really asking is, should I take this as a sign that I should not be re-entering the hobby? Like, I almost just feel like scrapping the plan completely, that the Universe is trying to tell me I'm not meant to be a reefer at this stage in my life.

What do you guys think? Anyone dealt with anything like this before?

Feeling discouraged.
U
Yes,
Unfortunately I have had to take over a few builds in the last 20 years in this business...
There’s always bright side though, I have a very good client, that was in this situation.
Now they have a beautiful piece of the reef in their home.
Keep your head up and continue to look forward to the final piece of art.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 peninsula was built by Miracles, love every bit of it. If you look back on the thread I posted earlier you will find my VERY detailed review on my tank. It's a long read so I don't want to type it all out again lol, call me lazy.

Oh yeah believe me, I already read it, looks amazing ;Drool. I especially like that there isn't any cross-bracing! I doubt I'll be able to get away with that on mine though :confused:. Also, the only builder I've heard back from so far was Derek at Miracles, in less than 24 hours no less!

I noticed you went with a closed loop, I was back and forth on that for awhile before deciding against it. I think just the idea of 1000s of pounds of water pushing down on those seals all the time sketched me out. Why did you decide on closed loop?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U
Yes,
Unfortunately I have had to take over a few builds in the last 20 years in this business...
There’s always bright side though, I have a very good client, that was in this situation.
Now they have a beautiful piece of the reef in their home.
Keep your head up and continue to look forward to the final piece of art.

Thank you for the kind words!

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I especially like that there isn't any cross-bracing! I doubt I'll be able to get away with that on mine though :confused:.

Actually on the size you are looking at, which is the same as my size, for that size Derek will recommend going with no cross braces. The explanation was that with 3/4" glass and euro bracing top and bottom, the cross braces are not needed. My tank was originally built without braces and I had them add them before delivery. I made the change after speaking to someone on here. I am not sure I made the right decision though. My tank is not yet wet, and I already think the cross braces will make lighting the tank harder.

Dennis

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually on the size you are looking at, which is the same as my size, for that size Derek will recommend going with no cross braces. The explanation was that with 3/4" glass and euro bracing top and bottom, the cross braces are not needed. My tank was originally built without braces and I had them add them before delivery. I made the change after speaking to someone on here. I am not sure I made the right decision though. My tank is not yet wet, and I already think the cross braces will make lighting the tank harder.

Dennis

Did you want the cross-braces just out of concern for the long panels bowing out or for another reason? I plan on having as much flow as I can manage so I'm wondering if I might need to go the cross-brace route for that reason.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back