My Custom Tank Builder Going Out of Business... Now What?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you want the cross-braces just out of concern for the long panels bowing out or for another reason? I plan on having as much flow as I can manage so I'm wondering if I might need to go the cross-brace route for that reason.

It was suggested by a member on here to avoid panel bowing. However Derek assured me that with the top eurobracing, the panels would not bow. I probably should have listened to Derek. Worst case is that if the cross braces become too cumbersome, I can always drop the water level a few inches and have them removed. They were added on after and I expect they can be removed by just cutting the silicone seam. If I do decide to remove them, I will have to invite Derek over to see the tank and, "Oh by the way while you are here ..." :)

Dennis

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you want the cross-braces just out of concern for the long panels bowing out or for another reason? I plan on having as much flow as I can manage so I'm wondering if I might need to go the cross-brace route for that reason.

Usually to avoid putting cross bracing in they just go with a wider euro brace appropriate to the length of the tank. For instance going with a 6" wide euro instead of 4". Don't quote me on those measurements as I'm not sure exactly the width they would use but to just give you an idea...

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Miracles. When I was in the business back in Toronto, Derek and his team built all the custom aquariums. Always on time and solidly built to specs as well as attention to detail as I am VERY OCD :p.

When I did a build for a client that had a place in Dallas Texas in 2012, we hired Reef Savvy to build it.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Oh by the way while you are here ..." :)

Dennis

LoL, love it! Nothing like a bit of well-intentioned subterfuge and manipulation to keep life interesting for all involved haha.

Okay, when I speak to him again, I'll ask his thoughts. In the quote it didn't specify the if there'd be cross-bracing, just said "eurobraced".

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually to avoid putting cross bracing in they just go with a wider euro brace appropriate to the length of the tank. For instance going with a 6" wide euro instead of 4". Don't quote me on those measurements as I'm not sure exactly the width they would use but to just give you an idea...

I think I could live with that for the increased aesthetic appeal, as long as I can still reach underneath and be able to easily get to the inside of the glass without any gymnastics I should be good... :p

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I could live with that for the increased aesthetic appeal, as long as I can still reach underneath and be able to easily get to the inside of the glass without any gymnastics I should be good... :p

I wouldn't be concerned about access myself, just give Derek a call and he will talk you through anything related to it and answer any concerns that you may have.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A.G.E
look into them as well

corey
I thought AGE shut down awhile back. I remember their hybrid pvc tanks back in the day. Much lighter than all glass. I was sad to hear dsa shut down. They built my 375g and that thing was super stout.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought AGE shut down awhile back. I remember their hybrid pvc tanks back in the day. Much lighter than all glass. I was sad to hear dsa shut down. They built my 375g and that thing was super stout.

I spoke with AGE a few weeks ago so I think there still running..

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AGE is still running, I spoke with them a couple of months ago about a tank. Honestly I should have gone with them probably.

One thing important to note, if you are trying to build a big tank, the cost of 3/4" glass has gone through the roof. Using 3/4" as opposed to 1/2" now almost doubles the price. I think this is due to a supply issue.

Furthermore, CDA is having Silicone supply issues right now so their lead times are now SUPER long. I think they make an amazing tank (we chose to go with them for that reason), but a 3 month lead time is now going on 5...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back