My Custom Tank Builder Going Out of Business... Now What?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet aquariums, reef savvy, miracles, customaquariums, crystal dynamics, tank me, check with your LFS to see what they can do. i wouldn't take it as a sign, that would be silly. Crap happens. I'd rather have to start a new order over than get a tank and watch the company, and thus any warranty, go under.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want a somewhat lengthy list?....

This thread has almost all of them aside from lesser known local builders. Miracles is right up there with Reef Savvy, Derek and Felix are actually very close which is why you can order Reef Savvy's signature ghost overflow through Miracles.

I learned something VERY interesting talking with Derek about why Felix's wait times are SO long, or atleast were so long. Also recently learned that Reef Savvy tanks are actually NOT the most expensive, this title belongs to Elos by a landslide.

It's worth noting, and I'm sure you already know, 2-3 months is pretty much industry standard wait times.

I'll also add Tank Me USA is not currently accepting new work as they catch up on there current orders. Might be worth giving them a call anyway though.

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been planning my build since January 2019 and likely won't have a tank with water in it until March. It sucks when plans change. Mine have had to change quite a few times, some in good ways, others in bad. But in order to get the setup I want, it will have taken me close to 18 months by the time I introduce my first fish, let alone coral.

Hang in there and it will work out.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might of dodged a bullet, maybe they went out of business because they build crappy Tanks and you just saved yourself an emergency blow out. got to see the silver lining

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might of dodged a bullet, maybe they went out of business because they build crappy Tanks and you just saved yourself an emergency blow out. got to see the silver lining

To my understanding the Tank builder and the owner of CRA had a falling out. They were excellent quality tanks but the falling out led to the company closing up shop.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The same thing happened to me. Mine was from the same company. You will get the money back no worries. I am just holding up my funds and possibly order from another company few months later.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To my understanding the Tank builder and the owner of CRA had a falling out. They were excellent quality tanks but the falling out led to the company closing up shop.
Exactly what happened. But their build quality was outstanding. They are good legit guys too.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that is not a good design to have a company's survival totally dependent on a single person.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for your kind words, already feeling a little better.

So next step, what are some builders I should be looking at? And before everyone screams REEF SAVVY!!! Are there others that do similar quality work without having to wait another year for a tank?

The dimensions I’m trying to spec are 108-120 long x 36 wide x 30 tall... 450-550 gallons.

I have the exact dimensions of tank you are looking for that I got from Miracles (120 x 36 x 30) with an external overflow on one end and starfire on 3 sides. Unfortunately mine is still dry while I wait on other vendors for the final bits. Miracles was pretty good to deal with. You can see my version of this tank in my build thread.

Dennis

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to be grateful for is that they went out of business now while you can still get a new builder and have some sort of warranty. If the builder wasn’t able to deliver your tank before closing up, I’d wager they probably hadn’t even started the build so you’re probably only out a week or two. It only takes part of a day to build a tank. The weeks you’re waiting is for the silicone to cure. If the tank was built I’d guess they’d rather have your money and deliver the tank. I’m just speculating.
Find a new builder. Miracles built mine in my home and it took a month from the quote to the build. The rest was curing. But my case is different. It could be argued I paid to have them drop everything to build the tank.

Correct they had not built the tank yet (original order was placed in July then modified in September).

I’ve heard the “Miracles” name bounced around here and there, but since they’re located in Canada, would I be responsible for customs fees?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact dimensions of tank you are looking for that I got from Miracles (120 x 36 x 30) with an external overflow on one end and starfire on 3 sides. Unfortunately mine is still dry while I wait on other vendors for the final bits. Miracles was pretty good to deal with. You can see my version of this tank in my build thread.

Dennis

Oh wow, your build looks absolutely beautiful! Def following! I may ask you for some tips even, gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous tank!;Drool

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the exect same boat on my 84" x 42" x 30" custom tank from CRA. Once I received my refund, I ordered the same tank with stand through Miracles. it should be delivered in about a month. Derek was great to work with. I do not have to pay customs fees.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to help ease the pain brother. I have no patience and would be so heart broken to wait all this time for nothing. I would not even be allowed to post because all the swearing I would do would get everything deleted. I hope you find something sooner than later. Maybe Santa??!!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a sign, use another builder. Karma is watching over you, that tank was probably going to be damaged in shipping or was a poor quality build. Either way, it's an awakening that better things are coming your way.

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take it as a sign personally. A sign that someone higher up was looking out for you to not use that company. It would have been worse to get the tank then the company go out of business. Then if something happened to your tank 6 months down the road, the warranty would be ineffective. Use it as a sign to use one of the custom tank industry leaders with a proven business track record that you know will be around through your warranty period.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to help ease the pain brother. I have no patience and would be so heart broken to wait all this time for nothing. I would not even be allowed to post because all the swearing I would do would get everything deleted. I hope you find something sooner than later. Maybe Santa??!!

No worries I just wanted to let others know that CRA had awesome tanks and the story behind them closing that's all. I agree I would be pretty upset over it all as well. Atleast it seems the OP will have no issues getting his money back and he can start fresh with another builder :)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that is not a good design to have a company's survival totally dependent on a single person.

Virtually every Custom tank manufacturer has one lead builder who oversees everything. Miracles has Derek, Reef Savvy has Felix and so on, it's pretty common in the industry. Don't get me wrong they do have help, but that's what it is for the most part, help. :)

Back