My cycle stalled! I’m at my wits end.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even Dr. Randy - PHD in Chemistry doesn’t understand how Prime works. I want to believe prime will detoxify ammonia, but I just can’t believe it. If an actual chemist can’t explain it, how do you think seachem would? It’s easy to mislabel items in the aquarium fish industry. Just look at all the products that can claim to remove ich and be safe for reefs. There’s no regulations in fish products.

My tank is fallow and everything is getting quarantined. Corals, sand, rocks, fish, clams, snails etc. Everything.

I had ich/velvet/brook from not quarantining. I learned from my mistakes.
If he is an actual chemist he could. I think he holds off on a lot of things so people can play around. @Randy Holmes-Farley

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is an actual chemist he could. I think he holds off on a lot of things so people can play around. @Randy Holmes-Farley
He is a chemist! He helped create a medication involving phosphates for human medicine! He knows his stuff.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, velvet is a real heartbreaker for sure.
Fwiw I think it tank is cycled. BUT… if you’re still worried then you can put all the bacteria in the bottle like Dr Tim’s, Microbacter 7 and xlm, and biospira for good measure.

Alternatively, buy ogo algae from algaebarn, and toss it in the tank so that you donthave to feed the tank nearly as much.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, velvet is a real heartbreaker for sure.
Fwiw I think it tank is cycled. BUT… if you’re still worried then you can put all the bacteria in the bottle like Dr Tim’s, Microbacter 7 and xlm, and biospira for good measure.

Alternatively, buy ogo algae from algaebarn, and toss it in the tank so that you donthave to feed the tank nearly as much.
Thanks. Just letting you know that someone introduced ich after buying algaebarn cheato. Algaebarn doesn’t quarantine cheato for fish diseases. Just a heads up.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even Dr. Randy - PHD in Chemistry doesn’t understand how Prime works. I want to believe prime will detoxify ammonia, but I just can’t believe it. If an actual chemist can’t explain it, how do you think seachem would? It’s easy to mislabel items in the aquarium fish industry. Just look at all the products that can claim to remove ich and be safe for reefs. There’s no regulations in fish products.

My tank is fallow and everything is getting quarantined. Corals, sand, rocks, fish, clams, snails etc. Everything.

I had ich/velvet/brook from not quarantining. I learned from my mistakes.
Oh okay good luck man

Mikey Maroon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course live rocks would be better. But I can’t use them without potentially infecting my fish with parasites. These fish were already treated and need a sterile tank for observation.
I overlooked the fact you are building a QT ;Wacky never the less, it's going to take time to cultivate the bac population.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I posted what I thought of this cycle that used Fritz it would be unbelievable. I bet this tank takes weeks to finish per the standards currently used to define a closed cycle, weeks more. Could be months.

hey I noticed fish look great and water is laser clear after more than one feeding, and only non digital test kits are causing the alarm

thats how it always happens, stuck cycle threads.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I posted what I thought of this cycle that used Fritz it would be unbelievable. I bet this tank takes weeks to finish per the standards currently used to define a closed cycle, weeks more. Could be months.

hey I noticed fish look great and water is laser clear after more than one feeding, and only non digital test kits are causing the alarm

thats how it always happens, stuck cycle threads.
Thank you Brandon!

So does this mean that future 0.05 ammonia is safe? I have to cycle a new tank soon and I currently have sponge in a 10 gallon tank with heater, pump, food, and seachem stability.

It takes over a month for the badge to show yellow no matter how many water changes and Bacteria I add. The badge never goes higher than the green though.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle =+ Ammonia, Nitrites & then Nitrates.
Nitrates can NOT just show up. You have a completed cycle.
The bacteria in the rocks may be on the low side thus allowing for a small amount of ammonia to register.
There is a small bio load there.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Brandon!

So does this mean that future 0.05 ammonia is safe? I have to cycle a new tank soon and I currently have sponge in a 10 gallon tank with heater, pump, food, and seachem stability.

It takes over a month for the badge to show yellow no matter how many water changes and Bacteria I add. The badge never goes higher than the green though.
You need to check whether it test kits test for free or total ammonia, which includes NH4+

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no setting using Fritz, the number one tested bottle bac available, that wouldn’t be cycled in 48 hours and I don’t buy the dead bottled bacteria theory it’s applied in every one of these non digital cases. You really should get a seneye MiamiReef because a quarantine will benefit from that approach and precision measure and then on the side we can extract helpful cycling data with it, alongside your other kits. Your reef setup is worth thousands on a tank that large plus qt plus supports, an extra 200$ for seneye is worth it. It’s just like owning a top end electric Porsche or Tesla and then spending the extra couple hundred for the self diagnostics software package

big tank reefing is a pain in the rear lol you did well getting qt ready for the big fish, good job that’s todays best science available for fish care.

*the bacteria aren’t your concern until dosed meds start to kill them, initially for your cycle you want the right degree of surface area to concern over. If you are using a qt setup that matches someone else’s, such as with very large external filter with ceramic media in it, that’s plenty we can see by patterns in quarantine posts. If it’s a glass tank with pvc only that’s not enough surface area add more

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no setting using Fritz, the number one tested bottle bac available, that wouldn’t be cycled in 48 hours and I don’t buy the dead bottled bacteria theory it’s applied in every one of these non digital cases. You really should get a seneye MiamiReef because a quarantine will benefit from that approach and precision measure and then on the side we can extract helpful cycling data with it, alongside your other kits. Your reef setup is worth thousands on a tank that large plus qt plus supports, an extra 200$ for seneye is worth it. It’s just like owning a top end electric Porsche or Tesla and then spending the extra couple hundred for the self diagnostics software package

big tank reefing is a pain in the rear lol you did well getting qt ready for the big fish, good job that’s todays best science available for fish care.

*the bacteria aren’t your concern until dosed meds start to kill them, initially for your cycle you want the right degree of surface area to concern over. If you are using a qt setup that matches someone else’s, such as with very large external filter with ceramic media in it, that’s plenty we can see by patterns in quarantine posts. If it’s a glass tank with pvc only that’s not enough surface area add more
Thank you. Seneye is the best ammonia tester. I despise the hobby grade ammonia test kits available. False positives are too common.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back