My Diamond goby and yellow goby starved to death :(

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been keeping my diamond goby and yellow clowngoby for two months and in my earlier post they won’t come out of their dang holes after being transferred from my nano reef to my large 75 set up.

Just a couple days ago the Diamond goby died of starvation I found his body half chewed up by my other fish seeing just his spine left :( . I tried feeding brine shrimp, flakes, seaweed, mysis shrimp and even raw shrimp but he would only take a small bite out of the raw shrimp. We tried to put food in his den but he wouldn’t eat. For the yellow clown goby he just stayed in his rock and presumably Died since I haven’t seen him for a week. No fish have been picking on them. Just friendly tangs and clownfish. How can I prevent this when buying bottom dwellers and small fish that like to hide.

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really stinks, sorry for your loss. Following along because I love those fish and want to avoid issues like this too...

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been keeping my diamond goby and yellow clowngoby for two months and in my earlier post they won’t come out of their dang holes after being transferred from my nano reef to my large 75 set up.

Just a couple days ago the Diamond goby died of starvation I found his body half chewed up by my other fish seeing just his spine left :( . I tried feeding brine shrimp, flakes, seaweed, mysis shrimp and even raw shrimp but he would only take a small bite out of the raw shrimp. We tried to put food in his den but he wouldn’t eat. For the yellow clown goby he just stayed in his rock and presumably Died since I haven’t seen him for a week. No fish have been picking on them. Just friendly tangs and clownfish. How can I prevent this when buying bottom dwellers and small fish that like to hide.

Honestly after 2 dead Diamonds I simply gave up on them and switched to conch snails and have been much happier since. I had one Diamond that I transferred from my 36 to my 90 and between that and a major rockwork addition/re-arrangement it didn't make it. The second one was bigger and healthier but died in 2-3 months for some unexplained reason. You might try frozen LRS Reef Frenzy. It's good for the tank in general (virtually no fillers to pollute the tank), super nutritious, and often induces feeding in picky eaters.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lucky with my diamond. He eats pellets and mysis along with what he gets from the sand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tough fish to maintain over the long term. There are exceptions, but most just don't get enough to eat. I had mine for almost 6 years. Over the last few weeks it's gone missing. Not unusual for it to be somewhat cryptic, but all of its usual bolt holes are unoccupied. My suggestion is to keep it with less aggressive feeders.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tough fish to maintain over the long term. There are exceptions, but most just don't get enough to eat. I had mine for almost 6 years. Over the last few weeks it's gone missing. Not unusual for it to be somewhat cryptic, but all of its usual bolt holes are unoccupied. My suggestion is to keep it with less aggressive feeders.
My Tangs aren't that of aggressive feeder tho they always share there seaweed and take turns nipping on it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are not friendly ..... at least mine are not. I also suggest folks not anthropomorphize their fish. My tangs, all that I have and have had, are pigs with fins and highly intolerant of any newcomers. A few of them have been psychotic assassins (who's anthropmorphizing now LOL). Maybe not threatening to you, but perhaps to the gobies.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer.

If I were a gambling man, which I am, I would bet that most diamond gobies either starve to death or jump out.

I know that doesn't make you feel better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back