My disconnect in understanding between saltwater and freshwater aquarium filtration.

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had some things floating around in my head recently that I need answers for. So what is the difference in filtration between salt and fresh. Why in freshwater you use these big filters that are packed with biomedia for maximum surface area for beneficial bacteria (maybe K1 or something). Then you have saltwater where most people in terms of bio filtration use just solely live rock and a power head. Why cant you swap these in both salt/reef and freshwater. Certain medias must completely dwarf live rock in surface area right? If not why cant you use large porous rocks in freshwater with a powerhead and completely dodge the unsightly filters, Does freshwater nitrifying bacteria just not adhere to the rock like its saltwater counterparts? Do reef aquariums not use bio media because they don't want super efficient bio filtration so the corals have some nutrients to uptake? I'm sure these have some obvious answers so please let me know!

EDIT: I did not really know where to post this so if its in the wrong place sorry.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had some things floating around in my head recently that I need answers for. So what is the difference in filtration between salt and fresh. Why in freshwater you use these big filters that are packed with biomedia for maximum surface area for beneficial bacteria (maybe K1 or something). Then you have saltwater where most people in terms of bio filtration use just solely live rock and a power head. Why cant you swap these in both salt/reef and freshwater. Certain medias must completely dwarf live rock in surface area right? If not why cant you use large porous rocks in freshwater with a powerhead and completely dodge the unsightly filters, Does freshwater nitrifying bacteria just not adhere to the rock like its saltwater counterparts? Do reef aquariums not use bio media because they don't want super efficient bio filtration so the corals have some nutrients to uptake? I'm sure these have some obvious answers so please let me know!

EDIT: I did not really know where to post this so if its in the wrong place sorry.
The idea of needing that large amount of biological media in freshwater is kinda outdated now. I have set up freshwater planted tanks with nothing but wood and rock, just like a saltwater tank. In fact, none of my planted tanks ever had canister or HOB filters.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of needing that large amount of biological media in freshwater is kinda outdated now. I have set up freshwater planted tanks with nothing but wood and rock, just like a saltwater tank. In fact, none of my planted tanks ever had canister or HOB filters.
Thats like the walstad method right? I know its possible to go no filter/heavy planted but isnt it limited to only lightly stocked? I just didnt think the walstad method supported a large bioload.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats like the walstad method right? I know its possible to go no filter/heavy planted but isnt it limited to only lightly stocked? I just didnt think the walstad method supported a large bioload.
Being planted for sure helps, but I have a community tank running right now with no biological filtration other than hardscape, with 0 plants. Bacteria grows on the surfaces inside the tank just like it would on the media. Saltwater reef tanks used to be "required" to run wet/dry filters with a ton of bioballs also. Would it help a heavily stocked tank (fresh or salt) with little hardscape, sure....but is it required to handle a normal stocked tank, absolutely not :)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the 80's I ran a 60 gallon SW tanks with dual Eheim canisters filters, I did not have a nitrate problem and I ran a predator tank and feed goldfish. I also ran a deep sand bed with a void under the under gravel filter and push the water down instead of going up.
People like to copy success, not to many build threads from the 80's.
I suggest following build threads, stay away from Calcium reactors for now, focus on algae control, good lighting and flow. Jebao power heads are fine.

Back