OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. All essential plumbing is done! We have a closed system. Still need to plumb the manifold, but also still need to pick up the manifold pump so not much to do on that front. This week will fill with fresh water and do a leak some testing! Can't wait to see water in it even if it is fresh!

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SYSTEM OVERVIEW

I wanted to detail the goals of this system and the methods I plan on incorporating in it. My hope is that it might highlight some of the apexes of this system that I find important and also if anyone out there has a suggestion that would be perfect. Also for my own education it will be valuable to look back at from time to time.

GOALS

First and foremost a system where fish can thrived not merely survive. One of my goals was to learn the best ways to care for fish from tank design, aquascaping, water flow, filtration, conditioning and nutrition. In all my time in the hobby I, like many, have put most of my efforts towards coral care. This surely is warranted, but I developed a thought process that corals take the specifics tp thrive and fish can do well with more vague, nonspecific set ups. Once the system in up for 2-3 years and fairly mature I will oakley consider the addition of some not so appetizing corals.

PART 1

IN TANK FLOW

Goals of flow are to stimulate fish behavior and physical activity as well as suspension of detritus.

The flow intros system is divided in three zones sort of. The tank is 45" in height. One concern I had was to ensure that the dissolved oxygen content in the bottom of the tank was the same as the top.

Filtered, maximally oxygenated water will enter at the top path tank through a return loop as described by Anthony Calfo. There are eight outputs that circle the perimeter of the tank. All are moveable and can independently adjusted for flow rate. Due to the height of the tank the return loop is not visible to the unknowing viewer.

The tank in the middle of the tank will come from two vertically mounted Maxspect Gyre xf280's on the overflow. I am hopefully that no other powerheads will be needed as with this being a peninsula build I don't want any view to be interrupted by a magnet. Also power heads options are extremely limited with 1" acrylic.

The lower portions of the tank flow will be created by a closed loop system plumbed through the bottom. in an efforts to ensure uniformity of DO in the water I will have the impute of the closed loop positioned in the upper third of the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PART 2

MECHANICAL FILTRATION

I am putting a high priority on mechanical filtration in this system. Not simply for water polishing, but some element of parasite control. Water will get filtered down to in the sump to 50 microns by a series of filter pads which will be changed probably every 2-3 days. Following the sump water will at times run through a pleated cartridge filter that can filter down to 20 microns or even 5 microns if I chose. The cartridge filter will be on a by bypass to be able to take it offline when needed and for maintenance.

Lastly mechanical filtration will also be provided by and 8-30 Bashea Beckett style skimmer.

PART 3

BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION

Nitrification

Of course live rock and sand will provide a substrate for nitrifyiers but am also incorporating a fluidized bed filter to provide a robust, minimal maintenance option.

Denitrifcation

Again denitrification will be in part handled by the live rock and sand (as much as you believe this occurs). My primary means of denitrification will be a combination of weekly water changes and an algae scrubber. If once the fish full mature my denitirfcation plan in inadequate then will consider the addition of a sulfur reactor or methanol reactor.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PART 4

CHEMICAL FILTRATION

I have no definite plans phosphate management solution. If needed carbon will be easy to incorporate and if ATS can't handle phosphates I will likely rely on LC.

I will be running ozone on this system, but won't be adding it to somewhere between 6-12 months. The ozone will be run through a reactor and effluent carbon. Will be controlled by something....maybe Hydros controller or if nothing else a pinpoint controller.

Debating on UV....I have run it before on system and never has a problem. Don't really need it for water clarity. Debating its worth for parasite management. All fish coming into the system will be well conditioned and as disease free as possible. If i do go with UV it will be the TMC 110 UV unit.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some progress and my first set back. I fashioned and mounted a control board in the basement which is a minor step but one nonetheless. Also got the cartridge filter ordered as well as the manifold pump. Lastly, I completed the dIsassembly of my light rack and sanded it down. Will start refinishing it soon. Started a fresh water test only to find on of the bulkheads had a significant leak. Have drained all the water out and will attempt to re-seat the bulkhead. Might have to replace it though. I know it is much better to find this out now, but that didn’t due too much to lessen my frustration that day. Don’t have anywhere local to find PVC bulkheads so would probably turn back to Savko if needed. Hopefully through the holiday chaos I can fiddle with the bulkhead soon and try another water test.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some progress and my first set back. I fashioned and mounted a control board in the basement which is a minor step but one nonetheless. Also got the cartridge filter ordered as well as the manifold pump. Lastly, I completed the dIsassembly of my light rack and sanded it down. Will start refinishing it soon. Started a fresh water test only to find on of the bulkheads had a significant leak. Have drained all the water out and will attempt to re-seat the bulkhead. Might have to replace it though. I know it is much better to find this out now, but that didn’t due too much to lessen my frustration that day. Don’t have anywhere local to find PVC bulkheads so would probably turn back to Savko if needed. Hopefully through the holiday chaos I can fiddle with the bulkhead soon and try another water test.

Minor setback and, as you stated, best to catch it now.

Bulkheads are a hard-to-find retail item regardless of where one lives. Just not a commonly carried plumbing part unless in or near a major city and then it's still hit or miss.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I will have more to update on by the week’s end. At least the bulkhead situation! This project was slow going for a couple of years. Has gained momentum lately and now that it is so much closer its harder to temper my patience!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I will have more to update on by the week’s end. At least the bulkhead situation! This project was slow going for a couple of years. Has gained momentum lately and now that it is so much closer its harder to temper my patience!

Yup, I'm familiar that you got a slow start. It's exciting that things are starting to come together for you!

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! My wife is amazing!!! If you look back she is the one who bought this tank for me and now this!!!!!

E1AE9084-3885-4BAB-A260-27E2225E5818.jpeg

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a night! I walked home to the mother load of stuff that I just want to geek out with, but I have prepurchased Star Wars tickets for me and my kids!!!! So waiting to watch the last chapter of the skywalker saga and thinking about going into work late tomorrow so I can geek out a bit!!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! My wife is amazing!!! If you look back she is the one who bought this tank for me and now this!!!!!

E1AE9084-3885-4BAB-A260-27E2225E5818.jpeg

OMG! My wife is amazing! First she is the one who bought me the tank as a surprise and now this! 2F90659D-E442-4527-A5B8-40F523E52D8E.jpeg

What a night! I walked home to the mother load of stuff that I just want to geek out with, but I have prepurchased Star Wars tickets for me and my kids!!!! So waiting to watch the last chapter of the skywalker saga and thinking about going into work late tomorrow so I can geek out a bit!!!

Outstanding!

Great wife you have there!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you, your wife and loved ones good tidings! Have fun with all the new presents!

5129710_0.jpg

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will let you know. Had a leaking bulkhead on the initial fill that I could get resolved. Replace the bulkhead today and plan and trying to fill it again tonight. The bulkhead was on the closed loop. Will update tonight and probably post a video!
This looks like a fun build. How did the test run go?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back