My easy method for cleaning Gyre and other pumps

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to share my easy way to get pumps looking brand new. I use bleach and calcium removing acid. These are dangerous products and you should follow all the manufacturers safety recommendation and use at your own risk. I always wear long rubber gloves and eye protection in case there is ever splashing. These products should NEVER be mixed as it will produce toxic gas. I use this product that I get from home depot for the acid dip and standard bleach. The ZEP product is a strong acid and works way faster than vinegar. I have used it for years with no ill effects on any of the hardware.
pump acid 3.jpg

Here is what I started with the other night when I went to clean my 4 gyres that are on my grow out tanks.
Pump Start.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1 Bleach Bath

They go into the bleach mixture for a couple hours. These split buckets are perfect size to dip the Gyre's in.
Pump Bleech.jpg

The come out with all the coralline white and organics dead.
Pump Bleech2.jpg

I then give them a quick scrub with a brush and into some cold clean water. I again want to emphasize to follow manufactures safety guidelines when handling these dangerous products.
Pump Rinse.jpg

Sometimes I will run the pumps in the bucket for a good rinse. I don't want any bleach left on the pumps when they go into the acid.

Last edited:

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know any adverse effects on the pump magnet with this acid? Thanks.

OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 2 Acid Bath

I used the ZEP Calcium remover for cleaning pumps, racks, really any removable that get covered in coralline. I keep the mixture and reuse it because it isn't cheap.
Pump Acid1.jpg

In they go:
Pump Acid 2.jpg

I normally leave them in over night. They come out with the coralline completely melted:
Pump Acid done.jpg

OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 3 final rinse

I give the pumps a final scrub and a rinse in a fresh bucket of water and they look as good as new.
Pump final 1.jpg

Pump Final 2.jpg

FraghouseCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
muriatic acid for 15 minutes, light scrub with brush, rinse off and run in a bucket of R/O. I can clean 24 gyres in a few hours with this method. Been doing it for years.

OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
muriatic acid for 15 minutes, light scrub with brush, rinse off and run in a bucket of R/O. I can clean 24 gyres in a few hours with this method. Been doing it for years.
Thanks for jumping in here.

one tip especially when using more aggressive products is to use a 7 gallon bucket rather than a 5 gallon. I found the extra height really helps contain any splashing.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid (20%) 1:10 ratio with water, few minutes is enough to dissolve rock, so little coraline or dirt is no problem....

Rinse with plenty of water and back in tank. 5 min max per pump..

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when I used bleach, that my rubber parts would swell then shrink with the bleach. Now I just use muriatic acid dusted 5 parts water to one part acid. 10 to 15 mins and a light scrub in fresh water. Good to go!

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id like to revive this thread, and learn more about you guys using muriatic acid, and side effect of muriatic acid to pumps? gaskets/seals?
also acid completely dissolves calcium build up right? vrs safe approach like vinegar would only softens it up?!

Last edited:
Back