My Electricity Savings going from MH to LED's

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running 3x250 MH and 4x 80w T5's with eballasts. When i went to LED I saved about $50 a month in power, the cost of halide and T5 bulbs but biggest savings came from AC. I live in a 2200 sq ft house, with vaulted ceilings in central Florida where most of the year the AC runs and most summer months the 5 ton unit struggles to keep the house <80 when set on 74. Hard to pinpoint but I would estimate my bill went down $150 a month in peak summer. Of course given my LED's died off I'm back to that MH fixture for at least a couple more weeks when I get new lights. The failure of my Kessils negates a lot of cost savings but you can't discount the aesthetics along with heat and power.

Probably my biggest fear right there. I have 2 AP700's over a 6ft 30" deep tank and know I'll likely need to supplement with T5's at some point. If the Kessil's, which are 2 years old now, fail before 5-6 years old then I made the wrong decision most likely.

My issue is I'm also in central Florida and my tank is in my office. 3 MH's, even 250W fixtures, running 8+ hours in my office is begging for my it to be uninhabitable lol!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Sanjay switch from MH to LED’s he found it was a wash. Electrical savings as he had to use more heat to keep his tank warm.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably my biggest fear right there. I have 2 AP700's over a 6ft 30" deep tank and know I'll likely need to supplement with T5's at some point. If the Kessil's, which are 2 years old now, fail before 5-6 years old then I made the wrong decision most likely.

My issue is I'm also in central Florida and my tank is in my office. 3 MH's, even 250W fixtures, running 8+ hours in my office is begging for my it to be uninhabitable lol!

I should have noted I had 5 x Kessil 360WE's and 4/5 died over time and the 5th flickers. Not sure how the AP700's have fared which have better cooling. Supposedly the new Radions are the closest light ever to eliminating the need for T5's. Going to try 3 to start and see how the shadowing and shimmer go. Hopefully I won't need a 4th.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have noted I had 5 x Kessil 360WE's and 4/5 died over time and the 5th flickers. Not sure how the AP700's have fared which have better cooling. Supposedly the new Radions are the closest light ever to eliminating the need for T5's. Going to try 3 to start and see how the shadowing and shimmer go. Hopefully I won't need a 4th.
Kind of funny. I have an A360W(non-E) that ran continuously for at least 5 years until my 60 cube leaked last month. Big reason I went with the AP700's.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, and how about heaters consumption with LED?

i have been running them for 7 years. Thats $4593.47. So for me that is a Huge Savings!
And every 5 years you must change the LEDs. 5x800=4000$. If every LED will survive for 5 years...
So, 4000$ to buy 5 leds, 4000$ to change them in 5y...

MattDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that everybody has their lighting that they prefer for their reasons. I have been running MHs 2-250w for 13+ years now. My 2cents. I love the shimmer that they provide and the colors I get with them. LEDs give you the ability to dial in the Disco lights for you tank. I dont like the disco effect personally. Its not a true look of the tank inhabitants. Most of the time you will never get a coral in you tankto look the same way you saw it online. There is so much manipulation of the corals environment at the time of the picture was taken. IE... No flow can causing the polyps to extend. Disco lighting in full effect. There are a multitude of lens and filters that can be used when taking a picture..

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 72" x 30" x24 it is still dry I am having to decide which lighting to use. One idea is 3 150 watt MH with some XHO's, it will be mostly FOWLR and free corals from friends. I do live in an expensive state for elec. and I do not have solar.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic information to see so detailed out vs one sentence of "yes it does" or "no it doesn't" thank you!

I may have missed it but what was your bulb changing regimen and thsoe costs? Curious about your personal savings with engery and bulbs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back