My elegance are a zoa…?

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm so I possibly have the weirdest post ever…my elegance coral ate a zoa frag that detached from its plug. It’s a Sakura sunrise, has about 4 polyps, and the elegance just devoured the entire thing. I came home from work to see the tip of one zoa poking out, and I tried to pull it out, only for the elegance to close up and not let it go.

I then had to go for dinner, and when I came back, it had spat most of it out, but then as I got some tweezers ready to pull it out, the elegance decided to close up for the night, and swallowed the zoa again.

Is the elegance at risk, and what the heck do I do???

602167F6-7614-4E0F-9403-A0AEA4A397CC.jpeg

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are 5 nitrate, 0.04 phos, 1.026 salinity, 0ammo/nitrite, 1500mag, 420ca, and 11dkh.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. At this point I'd do nothing. Mother nature, you crazy beast!
Yeah, I’m just like what the heck!! I’ve searched this on Google, and haven’t found anything like it haha. I love owning a tank, and watching nature battle it out

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading/seeing this I tried to find some observation of a coral actually consuming another coral to no avail. If I were you I would email the australian institute of marine science (AIMS) with a picture of this observation. Especially if the zoa ends up digested. I wonder if some coral can acquire defensive chemicals from the metabolised flesh of other coral?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading/seeing this I tried to find some observation of a coral actually consuming another coral to no avail. If I were you I would email the australian institute of marine science (AIMS) with a picture of this observation. Especially if the zoa ends up digested. I wonder if some coral can acquire defensive chemicals from the metabolised flesh of other coral?
That’s a good idea, I’ll send them an email in the morning, see what they say. It’s super interesting, I can’t find anything on it, so I’m watching my elegance carefully

mingc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!
That’s a good idea, I’ll send them an email in the morning, see what they say. It’s super interesting, I can’t find anything on it, so I’m watching my elegance carefully
WOW! your elegance must be super hungry lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back