My Emerald Crab has disappeared!

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Wednesday, November 11 we woke up to find our emerald crab molting. He sat in the same place, working on shedding until Saturday morning. When we looked in the tank he was gone. I have read that they will hide for about a week after molting until their shell hardens. We haven't seen hide nor hair of him since the 14th. We have looked all over and under the rocks and can't find him. I've tried to convince myself that he has buried himself in the sand and to just quit looking for him and he'll eventually come out. Is this normal? How long will he stay hidden? Thanks!

OP
OP
WV Reef

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pistol shrimp by chance? Any predators?
No. Just a cleaner shrimp. No predators. 2 clownfish, a pajama cardinal, a green chromis, and a blue legged hermit crab. He went missing on Saturday morning, and that evening is when we got the green chromis and 2 more very small blue legged hermits. Everybody's nice.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are elusive little buggers. Match the color of the rock and will hide in holes and crevices. Check the tank at night when they are more active.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen my crab in a few days but I do have a candy cane pistol shrimp which is smaller than him should I be concerned?

I'm almost certain the pistol shrimp snap a small peppermint shrimp as I haven't seen him and the night I introduced him there were multiple snaps not the "normal" 1 or 2.

OP
OP
WV Reef

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still missing. I really do not believe he has died because my ammonia level has never gone up. I have decided to just stop looking for him tho. I figure he'll show back up at some point. I believe I'm going to get another one because I loved watching him. I believe I'll get a female with the hopes that if he does show back up, maybe they won't fight.

Miclo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still missing. I really do not believe he has died because my ammonia level has never gone up. I have decided to just stop looking for him tho. I figure he'll show back up at some point. I believe I'm going to get another one because I loved watching him. I believe I'll get a female with the hopes that if he does show back up, maybe they won't fight.
Did you emerald crab showed up? i havent seen mine for about 3 weeks and im worried. TIA

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an emerald crab I added over a year ago. LOng thought he died, as I haven't seen him in that year.

The other day I was looking really closely at my rockwork, and low and behold, the little crab was munching away at something on the rock. Haven't seen him since either. lol Elusive little buggers thats for sure.

Reefstick555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I a bad person for not liking emerald crabs? I had one pop up in my show tank, he ate half the coraline algea off my rock scape in three days. I actually went a little crazy and tore the tank apart to catch him. There is no record of what happen after I caught him...

Attachments

• Crab.JPG.jpg
    Crab.JPG.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 53

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reefers do not like them as crabs are very opportunistic. Meaning they will pretty much eat anything that will fit in their claws. Be it that prized zoas you just got, or that new tiny goby, or that patch of algae.

Most of us put up with them because they are a great part of the CUC, and one of the few things that love to munch on bubble algae.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naa no need to hang your head in shame. Many reefers will do just about anything to get them out, and not put them in their tanks.

There was a poll a while back about crabs in your reef, and the majority here thought they were a bad idea.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back