My experience with H2O2; or "Why i don't think H2O2 works as an algicide"

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small rock with some zoas that are bothered by hair algae growing amongst them. great candidate for a H2O2 dip. I first plucked as much algae as I could with my fingers and tweezers. Then I did a dip in 50% tank water, 50% 3% H2O2 for 5 minutes followed by nearly 100% 3% H2O2 dip for another 5 minutes.

At first the frag looked great. The Zoas took a bit to come back to bloom, but the algae was withered and dead

Two weeks later - algae is back full force.

H2O2 did not kill the algae

The end

Happy Reefing

Last edited:

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine is not an algaecide either yet people attempt to use it as one in there pools and yes the algae comes back there too. It's a disinfectant and so is hydrogen peroxide.

My petty semantics quibble out of the way, I find peroxide works better at stifling algae if you don't remove it first. Algae seems to be more damaged if the whole organism is there. It takes longer to recover but I assume also releases more of its trapped nutrients back into the water.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try thouroghly scrubbing the rock and rinse in water change water. Something about killing it at surface level really sets it back and deters it to grow. Clean around zoas the best you can. Ive done this without losing zoas and shrooms. Just have to be careful.

I look at it like wacking weeds and doing yard work. You can weedwack sometimes daily if enough rain and water is applied for them to grow. Or you can destroy them at root and surface level and keep up on maintenance and plant nice things until something good grows. In my case. Coraline algae took over and turf algae began to dissappear.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is the algae on the frag. I got it that way.
Always remove frags from their plugs when/if possible. Also if it’s a zoa I’ve done plenty of h2o2 dips at 100% strength of 3% on all my zoas usually opened again wishing a few hours and algae dies within 2 days.

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always remove frags from their plugs when/if possible. Also if it’s a zoa I’ve done plenty of h2o2 dips at 100% strength of 3% on all my zoas usually opened again wishing a few hours and algae dies within 2 days.

Interesting, didn’t work this time. I’ll post a pic.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back