My Experience With the Neptune Trident's Calibration: Calibrate with Tank Water?

How do you calibrate your Trident?

• Total voters

scotto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I'm curious out there if anyone has had similar issues. My Neptune trident, out of the box, was testing close to my Hanna checkers. After running the unit until the reagents ran out, that's when the calibration issues started to occur. Magnesium and calcium were very off. I eventually calibrated to the white bottled solution, and still, numbers weren't making sense with my dosing, or Hanna checker numbers.

Eventually, I calibrated to tank water, but I used my Red Sea magnesium test kit as the magnesium input. This maybe was my first mistake. It seems from what little information I can find, that the Trident calculates magnesium and calcium together with a two reagent test. Thus, I assume the measurement of each independent variable may be slightly dependent. This would have potential consequences that if the inputted calibration of one of the variables (calcium or magnesium) was incorrect, there could be an incorrect output for one or both of the measured variables. However, this is all just speculation. I let the trident to keep testing for approximately 1 month before I intervened again.

Recently, I sent off ICP tests of my aquarium. Calcium was 434 ppm, which was close to my Hanna checker measurements that day. However, Magnesium, at 1333 ppm, was much lower than what I was testing with my Red Sea test kit, which was around 1400 ppm. I recently picked up a Salifert test kit, and found to to read near my recent ICP test results.
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 10.34.27 AM.png

I then re-calibrated my Trident to the white bottled solution from the reagent pack, and was still getting calcium readings that were very high, around 470–480 ppm (graph attached, Hanna checker results also shown). The Trident values also showed issues in precision (calcium values showing wide swings). Because of this, I was just about to give up on my trident, but I decided to do one last ditch effort. I performed duplicate testing for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity (in that order) on tank water with my checkers and the Salifert magnesium. I used these values to input into the trident and did a tank water calibration. THIS seemed to fix my issue. I've been testing the trident with several repeated manual tests, and the values are very close to one another (precision) and close to what I expect my tank to be at with Hanna checkers and ICP testing (accuracy).
Trident.png

I hope this helps anyone else. I also hope if anyone can weigh in on the magnesium calcium relationship with the trident, that may help us all as well. I'll also re-post if the unit begins to drift as testing continues.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was showing CA about 100 higher than my other test kits. After the third calibration it started tracking pretty close.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem on my second box of reagents.
I was not sure if it was just a bad or a mislabeled bottle that I got but I had another variable in that instead of using the +\- buttons to change the sample values I just manually typed them in. So at this point I am not sure if it was the calibration fluid or a bug in the software when you type in the numbers. My solution was to just open a new box and recalibrate again with its bottle of cal solution and it worked fine. Unfortunately I am now short a bottle for a box so I am going to have to mix my half bottles together and test them with Hanna etc until I get all the numbers needed to calibrate that last box.

BrianC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I'm curious out there if anyone has had similar issues. My Neptune trident, out of the box, was testing close to my Hanna checkers. After running the unit until the reagents ran out, that's when the calibration issues started to occur. Magnesium and calcium were very off. I eventually calibrated to the white bottled solution, and still, numbers weren't making sense with my dosing, or Hanna checker numbers.

Eventually, I calibrated to tank water, but I used my Red Sea magnesium test kit as the magnesium input. This maybe was my first mistake. It seems from what little information I can find, that the Trident calculates magnesium and calcium together with a two reagent test. Thus, I assume the measurement of each independent variable may be slightly dependent. This would have potential consequences that if the inputted calibration of one of the variables (calcium or magnesium) was incorrect, there could be an incorrect output for one or both of the measured variables. However, this is all just speculation. I let the trident to keep testing for approximately 1 month before I intervened again.

Recently, I sent off ICP tests of my aquarium. Calcium was 434 ppm, which was close to my Hanna checker measurements that day. However, Magnesium, at 1333 ppm, was much lower than what I was testing with my Red Sea test kit, which was around 1400 ppm. I recently picked up a Salifert test kit, and found to to read near my recent ICP test results.
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 10.34.27 AM.png

I then re-calibrated my Trident to the white bottled solution from the reagent pack, and was still getting calcium readings that were very high, around 470–480 ppm (graph attached, Hanna checker results also shown). The Trident values also showed issues in precision (calcium values showing wide swings). Because of this, I was just about to give up on my trident, but I decided to do one last ditch effort. I performed duplicate testing for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity (in that order) on tank water with my checkers and the Salifert magnesium. I used these values to input into the trident and did a tank water calibration. THIS seemed to fix my issue. I've been testing the trident with severali repeated manual tests, and the values are very close to one another (precision) and close to what I expect my tank to be at with Hanna checkers and ICP testing (accuracy).
Trident.png

I hope this helps anyone else. I also hope if anyone can weigh in on the magnesium calcium relationship with the trident, that may help us all as well. I'll also re-post if the unit begins to drift as testing continues.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do your tank water with other test kits and recalibrate based on those results. The trident only sees deviations from whatever is entered into the calibration menu so it can be anything. What I mean is if you have it calibrated to 8.2dkh and your actual water is 8.5dkh, when it tests again it will just see -.2 dkh and plot as 8.0dkh

BrianC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect solution, all issues are gone Trident appears to be working perfectly.

Thank you

Farrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive an old thread, but do you guys just leave the line in your tank when you calibrate with tank water or are you putting some tank water in a separate container and moving the line over to that to calibrate?

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive an old thread, but do you guys just leave the line in your tank when you calibrate with tank water or are you putting some tank water in a separate container and moving the line over to that to calibrate?
I just leave it in the same place it always is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back