My experiences treating rapid tissue necrosis in multiple SPS species with doxycycline and amoxicillin

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really still think Cipro would be the ideal choice for treating RTN:

From the CDC's website:

cdc_cipro_VV.png

If it's good enough for the CDC to take note perhaps it's worth a try for this?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this thread while searching for ways to stop rtn. Are any of these products readily available or do they need prescriptions?

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this thread while searching for ways to stop rtn. Are any of these products readily available or do they need prescriptions?
You can order from chewy with no prescription. Jury is still out on my 2 frags which is a good thing.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated photo 2 weeks later. Not sure if the frag on the left has any life left, but pretty sure the right has polyps in the center yellowish section as i saw them a couple days ago. That was the frag that went first and appeared completely gone for like a week before amox.
20210302_185933.jpg
Photos taken after lights out.

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my amoxicillin frags : all appear 100% loss. ICP results came back today with zero abnormalities (consistent with previous results besides previous zero iodine and strontium that are now detectable)

Convinced my losses are bacterial, Thinking I'll go ahead and try Cipro as I've lost about 5 more pieces probably 20 total in 2 months. No pests identified in "autopsy" with heavy pest dip.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached a recent paper looking at antibiotic susceptibility of saltwater Vibrio Harveyi and related species. Doxycycline, ciprofloxacin and florfenicol are great, whereas most strains are resistant to amoxicillin.

Attachments

• SciRep2020_Vibrio Antibiotic Susceptibility.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 198

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all fine and dandy but what about people who have stn on corals that all encrusted onto the rock work? How would treat it then? Is there no way to slather the base of an encrusted coral with some kind of antibiotic without having it spread through the tank?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached a recent paper looking at antibiotic susceptibility of saltwater Vibrio Harveyi and related species. Doxycycline, ciprofloxacin and florfenicol are great, whereas most strains are resistant to amoxicillin.
That is an interesting study but, unless I missed it, nowhere did they mention drug dosages, durations, and route of administration. Seems like that would be rather important to mention when discussing their conclusions. (It would have also be helpful to us if they had given some guidelines as to how the fish were treated).

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all fine and dandy but what about people who have stn on corals that all encrusted onto the rock work? How would treat it then? Is there no way to slather the base of an encrusted coral with some kind of antibiotic without having it spread through the tank?

The solution is exactly what you think it is. Drastic. You'll have to break it off the rock.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a possible in tank treatment regimen using cipro. The disease being treated is different, and I have not tried this myself, but it could apply in this situation if you are confident that you are dealing with a bacterial infection. The study above shows, many species of Vibrio are susceptible to cipro. Unfortunately without a culture or some type of diagnostic test, its hard to confirm which bacteria may be causing the infection, but this is one possible in tank treatment approach. The author, @AquaBiomics, also shares the impact on the tank's microbiome.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/exper...iotic-treatments-for-brown-jelly-disease.791/

Last edited:

Enigma84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what amount of Doxycycline per amount of tank water and time are people having success with? More so for the author of the thread.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro! That stuff nearly killed me. Affected the QT rate of my heart causing me to black out and nearly die and gave me joint pain forever after. Wouldn't mess with it in a tank.
Well your corals don’t have a heart let alone a QTc interval, and also don’t have tendons to worry about so you might want to relax lol

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found expired in 2020 amoxicillin. Mix 1000mg pil in 250ml of tank water.

Will see. I'll bath them 5-15 min a day.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back