My favorite aquascaping videos - a curated list! Share your favorite videos as well!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I've been doing a LOT of research lately on aquascaping, I've been watching a TON of videos on YouTube. I decided to make a list of the ones that I found to be most helpful. :) So now I want to share this video list with you guys in hopes it may be helpful for you as well. I found that each of these were beneficial to me and contributed some information/instruction/inspiration that I may not have found in the others.

If you want the full effect, I do recommend watching all of them. As I created this list, I was aiming to get a full understanding of aquascaping concepts, so I tried to include some representation of diverse styles in aquascaping. While I learned from all of these, I don't necessarily prefer all of the styles reflected, but even the ones I probably won't imitate still taught me things that will be useful in my understanding of aquascaping.

So here's my list (found in posts 1, 2, and 3 of this thread):
  1. Simple Ways to Create the Perfect Aquascape. - BRStv
  2. Is Habitat Based Aquascaping the Future? - BRStv
  3. Top 23 Aquascaping Mistakes. - BRStv
  4. Top 10 Mistakes Aquascaping with Marco Rock - BRStv
  5. Aquascaping and Planning Ahead - ReefBum
  6. Rock Structure Design - Queen of Reef
  7. Designing a Balanced Aquascape - Queen of Reef
  8. Iwagumi 2.0 Aquascape Tutorial - Mikeymikemike
  9. Marine Aquascaping with Tigahboy (Dennis) and Queen of Reef (Stephanie) - Jeff Senske of Aquarium Design Group
  10. How to NSA Scape - BRStv
  11. 10 Questions That Guarantee a Healthy, Beautiful Aquarium Aquascape - BRStv
  12. Aquascape Tutorial: Aquascaping a Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula - Riptide Aquaculture
  13. Aquascape Tutorial: Aquascaping the Tidal Gardens SPS Show Tank! - Tidal Gardens
  14. Aquascaping Glue - Tidal Gardens
  15. Aquascape Adhesives: Aquarium Aquascape Bonds That Rock! - BRStv
  16. Aquascape Adhesives Buyer's Guide - BRStv
  17. Aquascaping Pukani Dry Rock - BRStv
  18. How to BUILD your DREAM Reef Aquascape (A tutorial using pond foam) - The Sealed Reef
  19. HNSA (Habitat Negative Space Aquascape) Discussion: Is There a Better Way to Aquascape? - BRStv
  20. How To HNSA Saltwater and Reef Aquariums: Can You Build a Habitat Based Aquascape Like This One? - BRStv
  21. Reef Aquascaping Rectangular Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus
  22. Reef Aquascaping Peninsula Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus
  23. Reef Aquascaping All Cubes - Alfredo Reis Deus
  24. Reef Aquascaping Small Cubes - Alfredo Reis Deus
  25. Reef Aquascaping Corner Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus
  26. Reef Aquascaping Tanks with a Center Overflow - Alfredo Reis Deus

This first set of videos are more focused on design tips and instruction IMO (although, they don't neglect practical how-to-build points either).

1) Simple Ways to Create the Perfect Aquascape. - BRStv

This video by @Bulk Reef Supply is great as a general overview on aquascaping. He addresses things like the rule of thirds and other design ideas, and also hits some really practical points.

2) Is Habitat Based Aquascaping the Future? - BRStv

This video by BRS on the concept of habitat is an important one IMO. This aspect of aquascaping is one of the freshest conversations happening right now. It's actually a revival of a concept that has (IMO) been pushed to a footnote in previous trends in aquascaping, so I'm glad to see it returning to the forefront of the conversation. There are 2 additional longer videos on HNSA by BRS at the bottom of this list that I highly recommend:

3) Top 23 Aquascaping Mistakes. - BRStv

The next video I'm including here is a BRS list of top mistakes in aquascaping. Sometimes we learn a lot by seeing what NOT to do:

4) Top 10 Mistakes Aquascaping with Marco Rock - BRStv

Here's another what NOT to do video that I found helpful:

5) Aquascaping and Planning Ahead - ReefBum

Here's a helpful video by @ReefBum on aquascaping. His take is a bit different than some of the other videos I'm including here, and I found his perspective helpful in giving me another viewpoint from an exceptionally skilled reefer:

6) Rock Structure Design - Queen of Reef

Here's a couple of videos by @Queenofreef that are helpful on Aquascape design. I appreciated her use of artistry and balance concepts applied to aquascaping:

7) Designing a Balanced Aquascape - Queen of Reef

8) Iwagumi 2.0 Aquascape Tutorial - Mikeymikemike

Here's an aquascaping video and design that I REALLY like a lot. This is something different that I wanted to be sure to include. I found it inspiring and helpful:

9) Marine Aquascaping with Tigahboy (Dennis) and Queen of Reef (Stephanie) - Jeff Senske of Aquarium Design Group

For a longer conversation around aquascaping design concepts, here's a podcast style discussion with Jeff Senske of Aquarium Design Group, @Tigahboy, and @Queenofreef. This discussion dives into concepts and questions that I found really helpful.

10) How to NSA Scape - BRStv

This is BRS' video on NSA aquascaping. It explores both what NSA aquascaping is as well as how to go about it:

11) 10 Questions That Guarantee a Healthy, Beautiful Aquarium Aquascape - BRStv

Here is a video on 10 common questions about aquascaping from BRS:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Moving into some more practical how-to type videos, these are really helpful for the actual building process IMO, but you'll also find some more design helps here too.

12) Aquascape Tutorial: Aquascaping a Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula - Riptide Aquaculture

Here's a helpful video from @RiptideAquaculture on putting together an aquascape. They walk you through their experience with building an aquascape for a RedSea Reefer Peninsula 650 using Real Reef Rock and Stone Fix by AquaForest.

13) Aquascape Tutorial: Aquascaping the Tidal Gardens SPS Show Tank! - Tidal Gardens

Here are a couple of very helpful videos by @Tidal Gardens on aquascaping techniques and the second is specifically on types of glue:

14) Aquascaping Glue - Tidal Gardens

15) Aquascape Adhesives: Aquarium Aquascape Bonds That Rock! - BRStv

Speaking of types of glue, here's a video by BRS comparing adhesives strengths:

16) Aquascape Adhesives Buyer's Guide - BRStv

And this is a Buyer's Guide on adhesives:

17) Aquascaping Pukani Dry Rock - BRStv

Here's a BRS guide on aquascaping with Pukani, and it has some good tips in general:

18) How to BUILD your DREAM Reef Aquascape (A tutorial using pond foam) - The Sealed Reef

Here's a video tutorial on aquascaping using pond foam. This is an interesting video from both technique and design aspects:

19) HNSA (Habitat Negative Space Aquascape) Discussion: Is There a Better Way to Aquascape? - BRStv

Here is BRS' videos on Habitat NSA Aquascaping. These are longer videos, but extremely helpful and well-worth watching:

20) How To HNSA Saltwater and Reef Aquariums: Can You Build a Habitat Based Aquascape Like This One? - BRStv

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are some interesting design concept videos from @Ardeus that I found really helpful (each of these is between 1 and 3 minutes long):

21) Reef Aquascaping Rectangular Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus

22) Reef Aquascaping Peninsula Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus

23) Reef Aquascaping All Cubes - Alfredo Reis Deus

24) Reef Aquascaping Small Cubes - Alfredo Reis Deus

25) Reef Aquascaping Corner Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus

26) Reef Aquascaping Tanks with a Center Overflow - Alfredo Reis Deus

@Ardeus also has some other aquascape videos showing examples of aquascaping that are helpful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So...this is my curated list of favorite aquascaping videos! Share yours below!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are there any videos with tips to add to your existing scape underwater?
I have not found any on this, but that's a great idea! Maybe @Bulk Reef Supply or someone else would take that project on. That's definitely one I would add to my list.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great videos

but don't use insta set on the glue that stuff is highly poisonous

I use it for models

Instead use a water bottle and spray alittle water on the glue that will do the same as insta set does

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any videos with tips to add to your existing scape underwater?
Video 3 touches on this I belive number 12 or 13 was adding to exsiting aquascape

The basics of what they said was use super glue and branching type rock to add new real estate in an existing tank

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a fantastic thread! I’m in the verrrry early stages of planning a new 6’ tank so this curated list of videos will be super helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've been doing a LOT of research lately on aquascaping, I've been watching a TON of videos on YouTube. I decided to make a list of the ones that I found to be most helpful. :) So now I want to share this video list with you guys in hopes it may be helpful for you as well. I found that each of these were beneficial to me and contributed some information/instruction/inspiration that I may not have found in the others.

If you want the full effect, I do recommend watching all of them. As I created this list, I was aiming to get a full understanding of aquascaping concepts, so I tried to include some representation of diverse styles in aquascaping. While I learned from all of these, I don't necessarily prefer all of the styles reflected, but even the ones I probably won't imitate still taught me things that will be useful in my understanding of aquascaping.

So here's my list (found in posts 1, 2, and 3 of this thread):
  1. Simple Ways to Create the Perfect Aquascape. - BRStv
  2. Is Habitat Based Aquascaping the Future? - BRStv
  3. Top 23 Aquascaping Mistakes. - BRStv
  4. Top 10 Mistakes Aquascaping with Marco Rock - BRStv
  5. Aquascaping and Planning Ahead - ReefBum
  6. Rock Structure Design - Queen of Reef
  7. Designing a Balanced Aquascape - Queen of Reef
  8. Iwagumi 2.0 Aquascape Tutorial - Mikeymikemike
  9. Marine Aquascaping with Tigahboy (Dennis) and Queen of Reef (Stephanie) - Jeff Senske of Aquarium Design Group
  10. How to NSA Scape - BRStv
  11. 10 Questions That Guarantee a Healthy, Beautiful Aquarium Aquascape - BRStv
  12. Aquascape Tutorial: Aquascaping a Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula - Riptide Aquaculture
  13. Aquascape Tutorial: Aquascaping the Tidal Gardens SPS Show Tank! - Tidal Gardens
  14. Aquascaping Glue - Tidal Gardens
  15. Aquascape Adhesives: Aquarium Aquascape Bonds That Rock! - BRStv
  16. Aquascape Adhesives Buyer's Guide - BRStv
  17. Aquascaping Pukani Dry Rock - BRStv
  18. How to BUILD your DREAM Reef Aquascape (A tutorial using pond foam) - The Sealed Reef
  19. HNSA (Habitat Negative Space Aquascape) Discussion: Is There a Better Way to Aquascape? - BRStv
  20. How To HNSA Saltwater and Reef Aquariums: Can You Build a Habitat Based Aquascape Like This One? - BRStv
  21. Reef Aquascaping Rectangular Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus
  22. Reef Aquascaping Peninsula Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus
  23. Reef Aquascaping All Cubes - Alfredo Reis Deus
  24. Reef Aquascaping Small Cubes - Alfredo Reis Deus
  25. Reef Aquascaping Corner Tanks - Alfredo Reis Deus
  26. Reef Aquascaping Tanks with a Center Overflow - Alfredo Reis Deus

This first set of videos are more focused on design tips and instruction IMO (although, they don't neglect practical how-to-build points either).

1) Simple Ways to Create the Perfect Aquascape. - BRStv

This video by @Bulk Reef Supply is great as a general overview on aquascaping. He addresses things like the rule of thirds and other design ideas, and also hits some really practical points.

2) Is Habitat Based Aquascaping the Future? - BRStv

This video by BRS on the concept of habitat is an important one IMO. This aspect of aquascaping is one of the freshest conversations happening right now. It's actually a revival of a concept that has (IMO) been pushed to a footnote in previous trends in aquascaping, so I'm glad to see it returning to the forefront of the conversation. There are 2 additional longer videos on HNSA by BRS at the bottom of this list that I highly recommend:

3) Top 23 Aquascaping Mistakes. - BRStv

The next video I'm including here is a BRS list of top mistakes in aquascaping. Sometimes we learn a lot by seeing what NOT to do:

4) Top 10 Mistakes Aquascaping with Marco Rock - BRStv

Here's another what NOT to do video that I found helpful:

5) Aquascaping and Planning Ahead - ReefBum

Here's a helpful video by @ReefBum on aquascaping. His take is a bit different than some of the other videos I'm including here, and I found his perspective helpful in giving me another viewpoint from an exceptionally skilled reefer:

6) Rock Structure Design - Queen of Reef

Here's a couple of videos by @Queenofreef that are helpful on Aquascape design. I appreciated her use of artistry and balance concepts applied to aquascaping:

7) Designing a Balanced Aquascape - Queen of Reef

8) Iwagumi 2.0 Aquascape Tutorial - Mikeymikemike

Here's an aquascaping video and design that I REALLY like a lot. This is something different that I wanted to be sure to include. I found it inspiring and helpful:

9) Marine Aquascaping with Tigahboy (Dennis) and Queen of Reef (Stephanie) - Jeff Senske of Aquarium Design Group

For a longer conversation around aquascaping design concepts, here's a podcast style discussion with Jeff Senske of Aquarium Design Group, @Tigahboy, and @Queenofreef. This discussion dives into concepts and questions that I found really helpful.

10) How to NSA Scape - BRStv

This is BRS' video on NSA aquascaping. It explores both what NSA aquascaping is as well as how to go about it:

11) 10 Questions That Guarantee a Healthy, Beautiful Aquarium Aquascape - BRStv

Here is a video on 10 common questions about aquascaping from BRS:

So proud to be included in this!! Appreciate this list, time for me to rebuild my scape after my move so going to go through these

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So proud to be included in this!! Appreciate this list, time for me to rebuild my scape after my move so going to go through these
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of design with us @Queenofreef! I really found the application of artistry principles that you applied to aquascape to be very helpful.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's another video that I found very helpful from @Queenofreef on coral placement! Definitely one to check out!

ozzy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love working with Dragon Stone. I like the way it looks and the holes that you can glue anubius nana petitte (my favorite plants, at least one of them). I think their perfect for a "montain" scape. There isn't much that I don't like about it. what do you think about it?

SixlineRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have anything specifically on branch rock? I found out my lfs has live branch rock and am thinking I may give that a go instead of Marco rock (I've always liked branch rock).

I did watch the reefstash video above which was rad!

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone have anything specifically on branch rock? I found out my lfs has live branch rock and am thinking I may give that a go instead of Marco rock (I've always liked branch rock).

I did watch the reefstash video above which was rad!
Thanks for the love, I’m all about branch rock. In the process of a new frag build and will be giving Marco rocks a go. Here’s the branch rock scape before all of the coral went in and after..,

IMG_8148.jpeg

IMG_4092.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back