My Favorite Macro Lenses!

Vincent Azzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 23+ years in the Hobby I'm going to break down and get a Macro for my Sony A6500 I took these with an extension tube.

Specifically this tube 16MM

And a Sony lense Specifically this one.

While they all look OK I would like some suggestions on a Better way to take this pic Looking for a Great Macro Camera Lense for my SONY A 6500 Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

rsz_dsc00397.jpg

rsz_dsc00410.jpg

rsz_dsc00385.jpg

Wow incredible colors on those

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not taking pics in 40 yrs. Last Camera I had was a Minolta XG-7. I got good with it but it was stolen and never replaced it and lost interest, That was a while back. I am very interested in picking up were I left off such a long time ago. . I may even take some photography classes.

I have purchased a Canon EOS T8i. Wow , lots of buttons! I am thinking of purchasing a Macro lens. Looking at the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro. Any one shoot one of those? Thoughts?

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not taking pics in 40 yrs. Last Camera I had was a Minolta XG-7. I got good with it but it was stolen and never replaced it and lost interest, That was a while back. I am very interested in picking up were I left off such a long time ago. . I may even take some photography classes.

I have purchased a Canon EOS T8i. Wow , lots of buttons! I am thinking of purchasing a Macro lens. Looking at the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro. Any one shoot one of those? Thoughts?
Hi Jeffcb,
That is the same lens I use and i really like it. I took some shots recently (using a focus rail/slider and stacked the photos). I have attached a few here. Lens is crisp. I read a lot of reviews which helped make my decision on purchasing this lens. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• green and red favia.jpg
    green and red favia.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Ricordea.jpg
    Ricordea.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Duncan.jpg
    Duncan.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 100

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jeffcb,
That is the same lens I use and i really like it. I took some shots recently (using a focus rail/slider and stacked the photos). I have attached a few here. Lens is crisp. I read a lot of reviews which helped make my decision on purchasing this lens. Hope this helps.
Beautiful pics. That is what I want to learn to do. Its quite a chunk of change but It seems to be all about the lens. Well, and of course talent!. No one discounts Canon products but its my birthday month and get 10% off at Best Buy. Just ordered one! :D

What kind of focus rail/slider do you recommend? I have never used one. I guess one needs a pretty heavy duty tripod when using a rail/slider?

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pics. That is what I want to learn to do. Its quite a chunk of change but It seems to be all about the lens. Well, and of course talent!. No one discounts Canon products but its my birthday month and get 10% off at Best Buy. Just ordered one! :D

What kind of focus rail/slider do you recommend? I have never used one. I guess one needs a pretty heavy duty tripod when using a rail/slider?
Well Happy Birthday! :) I purchased the slider from Amazon:

Neewer 4-Way Macro Focusing Focus Rail Slider/Close-Up Shooting for Canon Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Samsung and Other Digital SLR Camera and DC with Standard 1/4-Inch Screw​

It's not an expensive one at all and they are super easy to use! The key is to make small adjustments between each picture. The pics I posted is the 1st time i used the slider .. if I can do it anyone can LOL

The tripod I have is not a heavy duty one but I do notice there is a bit of play. I can get away with it. BUT if you are are going to do a lot of work with it I would invest in a sturdy one.

topazann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is important when chosing a macro lens is the working distance. with a 100mm lens you're at about 30 cm from the sensor when at 1/1 so, that's about 10 cm from the lenshood.

with a 40mm you'll be at about 1-2 cm from the subject to get it at 1/1 and so that's great for non moving things but for fish, it's impossible if they can move.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned my T8i and got a full frame body! Talked them out of the re-stocking fee. Ordered a EF100mm L. They Canon rep happened to be at BB and gave me a Great bundle! I was overwhelmed. Haven't been able to find anything Canon on sale. He called it an instore only mothers day special! I have a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for making this! I want to get into coral photography a little more so this will be very helpful! Thank you!

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned my T8i and got a full frame body! Talked them out of the re-stocking fee. Ordered a EF100mm L. They Canon rep happened to be at BB and gave me a Great bundle! I was overwhelmed. Haven't been able to find anything Canon on sale. He called it an instore only mothers day special! I have a lot to learn.
Check out Canon’s factory refurbished website for good deals. They have like-new lenses and camera bodies and all come with warranties like new. If the one you’re interested in isn’t in stock, check back and check back again...they often go in and out of stock, and they’re run additional discount sales a few times a year as well.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What can I get for cheap?"

I took these over the past couple of days with a vintage Minolta MD 100mm f4 Macro lens on a Sony A7 III body (the Sony isn't cheap but the lens can usually had for US$20-40. I don't have extension tubes yet.

yellow tang by Magnus Hedemark, on Flickr

yellow tang by Magnus Hedemark, on Flickr

kitchen reef by Magnus Hedemark, on Flickr

AndifromGer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m looking to get a cam for tank macros. Ive had quite a few sonys in the past, so i would generally stick to sony.
I want to get a cheap 2nd hand cam and a good lens. Do you think a Sony A58 paired with a sigma 105mm macro could deliver some good shots? I dont know how important the body is since we dont need super fast AF. Thank you in advance!

legendhua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the Olympus ED 60mm F2.8 Macro

This lens is very small and light, and the image quality is not bad.
With the powerful anti-shake built-in camera body(olympus EM1 markII), you can take very clear photos without a tripod.

DIY the Top-Down Porthole
無標題 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P8151474 Acropora Valida by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P8219774 花豹蝦虎 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

PC290324 美國草莓 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P8219804 藍倒吊 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P1055286 清潔蝦 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P3280086 黃三角倒吊 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P1230172 (2) 紅奶嘴海葵 粉紅小丑 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P3270031 瓷蟹(海葵蟹) 橘子 鈕扣 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With the powerful anti-shake built-in camera body(olympus EM1 markII), you can take very clear photos without a tripod.

Those last two are absolutely stunning!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Awesome photos!

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Happy Birthday! :) I purchased the slider from Amazon:

Neewer 4-Way Macro Focusing Focus Rail Slider/Close-Up Shooting for Canon Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Samsung and Other Digital SLR Camera and DC with Standard 1/4-Inch Screw​

It's not an expensive one at all and they are super easy to use! The key is to make small adjustments between each picture. The pics I posted is the 1st time i used the slider .. if I can do it anyone can LOL

The tripod I have is not a heavy duty one but I do notice there is a bit of play. I can get away with it. BUT if you are are going to do a lot of work with it I would invest in a sturdy one.
What tripods are compatible for this rail?

Back