My First 29 Gallon Saltwater Tank

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CE23FD7B-9FD6-4C72-A752-359B80EAD3D3.jpeg

2 month update

First I want to say thank you for everyone who’s helped me get this set up. I’d been contemplating saltwater for like 13 years but was alway too intimidated to attempt. This forum has helped me immensely! anything I need to know is mostly searchable and not that many condescending people on here. Also thanks for listening to how poor I am.

Bought this 29 gallon stand and tank from my LSF. I was SUPPOSED to be just going to check things out LOL. it came with a cheap filter, heater, florescent light hood. I’ve upgraded the heater to a 13’’ 150 Watt Eheim Jager heater. Will be upgrading the filter to a Tidal 55. Sump will have to be my next build. Was too eager to get this drilled I’m using only filter floss and sponge in my current filter.

I bought a pair of powerheads for $15 and i’ve upgraded 1 to the Hydor Koralia Nano 425. i’m contemplating removing the cheap one and just sticking with the Koralia

Cycled with live sand and betta food for 2 weeks and then switched to Microbactor XLM & Quikstart for 2 weeks, and 30 lbs of dry rock.

I added my first clownfish today. it seems like they’re getting blown around by the powerhead, which is why I’m contemplating taking the cheap one out, but I’m not sure if they’re getting blown around or just backing up being cautious in the new environment LOL we’ll see. I plan on making a DIY ATO. LFS gave me that little chunk of purple rock. Just the color coralline I wanted.

I plan on stocking 4, perhaps 5 fish altogether. my next will be my Yellow Watchman Goby & Peppermint shrimp. was going to add that today instead of the clowns but my LFS didn’t have one. Next I will add a royal gramma and then maybe Orchid dotty back if i can maintain parameters with no problems. I’m hoping that Tidal with allow me a 5th fish. I’ll have to use all crabs and shrimp as CUC. i’ve been told that snails will die in black sand. I was told this by someone selling me something though so if you have black sand please confirm.

I will definitely be trying out coral and maybe a nem (is that considered a fish????) after I get a light. thinking about Finnex stingray 2 or finnex Planted 24/7 LED. if anyone has a 29 gallon and is using either please comment! I’d love to know how you like it and if it sits flush on a 29 gal (30’’ width)

Last edited:

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails should be fine with black sand. Welcome to salt water. Say goodbye to your wallet! Start with easy to keep corals and progress from there. I'd hold off for about 6 months for an anemone as you want your tank to mature before you put one in for best chances of survival.

Welcome to R2R!

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking great! I doubt those 2 power heads are too much for your clowns. I have a 29gal with a jebao SLW20, maxi jet, and a return so about 1200 gph minimum at any time. I’d be wary about a dottyback going with a royal gramma, they might get aggressive with the purple (I was contemplating a dotty back with my gramma and was told not to by multiple people). Anemones are inverts and as the other guys stated wait until the tank is pretty mature and params are stable. But overall you’re off to a great start! Feel free to check out my build thread of how I got my 29 up and goin :)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Congrats on the new setup!

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails should be fine with black sand. Welcome to salt water. Say goodbye to your wallet! Start with easy to keep corals and progress from there. I'd hold off for about 6 months for an anemone as you want your tank to mature before you put one in for best chances of survival.

Welcome to R2R!
Thank you! I will not be ordering 1 thing from him!

It’s looking great! I doubt those 2 power heads are too much for your clowns. I have a 29gal with a jebao SLW20, maxi jet, and a return so about 1200 gph minimum at any time. I’d be wary about a dottyback going with a royal gramma, they might get aggressive with the purple (I was contemplating a dotty back with my gramma and was told not to by multiple people). Anemones are inverts and as the other guys stated wait until the tank is pretty mature and params are stable. But overall you’re off to a great start! Feel free to check out my build thread of how I got my 29 up and goin :)
yeah, they were definitely just in there letting the wind blow through their hair LOL! They barely pay attention to it now. Going to go check it out now
Congrats on the new setup!
Thank you!

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will not be ordering 1 thing from him!

yeah, they were definitely just in there letting the wind blow through their hair LOL! They barely pay attention to it now. Going to go check it out now

Thank you!
Clownfish are great. Periodically mine will swim against the current using all their strength and then give up and fly backwards, it’s hilarious.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a yellow watchman goby and also want a shrimp look into a pistol shrimp to go with him. They have a symbiotic relationship and will create a burrow in your sand and love together. Theyre cool. When you start getting algae in your tank I would go all snails or expect the crabs to eat some of your snails eventually for their shells. There's about a different snail to do everything a hermit crab can do. But if you go with hermits you'll enjoy them as well. I just think snails are less problematic in the long run. Hope the tank is going well. I have a 29g as well and love it.

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a yellow watchman goby and also want a shrimp look into a pistol shrimp to go with him. They have a symbiotic relationship and will create a burrow in your sand and love together. Theyre cool. When you start getting algae in your tank I would go all snails or expect the crabs to eat some of your snails eventually for their shells. There's about a different snail to do everything a hermit crab can do. But if you go with hermits you'll enjoy them as well. I just think snails are less problematic in the long run. Hope the tank is going well. I have a 29g as well and love it.
I actually meant pistol shrimp. Fun you comment today. I went and picked up a pistol shrimp and a cleaner. It was the huge pistol shrimp though. I asked the lady would they be ok together and she said yes. Put the bags in the tank to acclimate and while I was waiting I looked up a video to see how to care for them. First video I saw was that exact pistol obliterating that exact cleaner took the pistol right back and going to wait for the small ones

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually meant pistol shrimp. Fun you comment today. I went and picked up a pistol shrimp and a cleaner. It was the huge pistol shrimp though. I asked the lady would they be ok together and she said yes. Put the bags in the tank to acclimate and while I was waiting I looked up a video to see how to care for them. First video I saw was that exact pistol obliterating that exact cleaner took the pistol right back and going to wait for the small ones
Hahaha I think they would be ok.... ish... the pistol will stay on the ground and the cleaner will be away from him but yeah I would get a smaller pistol if possible. I almost bought a yellow watchman and a pistol today at the store but the yellow goby was really small but the two were already paired up.... I might have to go back. I think they're really cool.

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welp. It’s been about 2 months in and no major problems. I painted my background matte black with acrylic paint. It looks GREAT. I finally got the Tidal 55. It’s super quiet. I love it so much I bought a tidal 35 for my 10 gallon freshwater tank. The remaining power head went out in the salt bucket so I banished the tank cheapo to the salt mixing bucket and and upgraded the display to the Hydor Koralia evolution 550/600. Its HUGE so when the cheapo in the salt mixing bucket inevitably goes out, I’ll get another 425.

After I bought my 2 clownfish, I added the watchman goby, a royal gramma, a 6 line wrasse, a trochus snail, 9 nassarius snails, a cleaner shrimp, and an emerald crab. I’m finally fully stocked with fish! I want more crabs though....maybe a peppermint shrimp.

I then upgraded to an AI Prime 16HD.
Today I ordered my first ATO. You all were right. Manually topping off got old QUICKLY. I bought the AutoAqua Smart Lite and a 5 gallon reservoir. Once I get my 2nd AI Prime, all my upgrading will be finished!

Last edited:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've enjoyed my Tidal 55. Its really quiet only thing you can hear is the waterfalls back in no motor. My skimmer is technically louder than the Tidal. Theres also plenty of room for carbon and other things in the media basket. I cannot say bad things about it.

Aaron Hattan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've enjoyed my Tidal 55. Its really quiet only thing you can hear is the waterfalls back in no motor. My skimmer is technically louder than the Tidal. Theres also plenty of room for carbon and other things in the media basket. I cannot say bad things about it.
Curious as to what you are running for media in your filter? I just started a 29 gal, and am curious!

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what you are running for media in your filter? I just started a 29 gal, and am curious!
i was only using rocks & sponge that came w/ it plus some polyfil. Layered it w/ the blue sponge in the bottom, polyfil on top of that, then the Rick media on top of the polyfil

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I run sponge on the bottom then filter floss then bio balls or matrix for bacteria then chemi pure blue on top and all of it fits in a Tidal 55 no problems. I clean it every other week. Just wash everything out in the old siphoned out water to make sure any grime gets off of it. Replace filter floss as needed. Its a great filter. I also run a Tidal 35 on my quarantine tank with the same stuff minus chemi pure.

Back