My First Attempt at the Big Time: WaterBox PP 230.6 Tank Build

OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I love these too! I seriously considered adding one to my wwc order. If you don’t have many bristle worms, will they eat mysis?
Oh he eats any pellets that fall to the ground jumps after mysis and pieces of LRS. Never had worms in this tank...eeeeeeks don’t jinx me!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok the good the bad the ugly!!
So yesterday I was back from MACNA and realized that while bouncing around traveling the day before I had inadvertently turned off my alk doser! So it was a little low and dropped below 8. Rather than Manually dose 30 ml I was in my office and turned on the doser through my apex. Got distracted ...phone call, grandson, amish patient with hip necrosis. At 5 pm I was getting ready to move some coral around and checked my trident readings and realized that the last reading at noon was 12 I checked the current level with my Hanna and got a 15.7!!!! Panic mode set in....turned off alk, did 40g water change, called Steven @dantimdad, turned off fuge light for the night. Cussed myself out for hours.

Noon alk 12.5
5pm. Alk 15.7 salinity 32.5 ph 8.9
7pm alk 12.7 ph 8.7
6am alk 11.5 ph 8.2.

So far all look well. Torch and frog spawn bigger then ever and waving in the flow! Yikes I’m an idiot!!!! Grrrr!

dantimdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Glad you got to go to MACNA. Next year...

Also glad we talked about the emergency. Now it's under control and just one more water change and wait and see.

I love the fact that from hundreds of miles apart we can text and ask "Got a minute?" and help each other out.

https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Coral were full extension today. The ricordia are like crazy as did the rest.
Another 40g water change alk decreased nearly a full point over night and now is at 10.1.

pH staying at 8.2. Too soon to tell but so far so good. Ish

Bleigh

The lich queen
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok the good the bad the ugly!!
So yesterday I was back from MACNA and realized that while bouncing around traveling the day before I had inadvertently turned off my alk doser! So it was a little low and dropped below 8. Rather than Manually dose 30 ml I was in my office and turned on the doser through my apex. Got distracted ...phone call, grandson, amish patient with hip necrosis. At 5 pm I was getting ready to move some coral around and checked my trident readings and realized that the last reading at noon was 12 I checked the current level with my Hanna and got a 15.7!!!! Panic mode set in....turned off alk, did 40g water change, called Steven @dantimdad, turned off fuge light for the night. Cussed myself out for hours.

Noon alk 12.5
5pm. Alk 15.7 salinity 32.5 ph 8.9
7pm alk 12.7 ph 8.7
6am alk 11.5 ph 8.2.

So far all look well. Torch and frog spawn bigger then ever and waving in the flow! Yikes I’m an idiot!!!! Grrrr!
Maybe they liked the alk high? Hopefully they weren’t hung over in the morning? Maybe more like carb loading before a race? Fingers crossed for you.

OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Maybe they liked the alk high? Hopefully they weren’t hung over in the morning? Maybe more like carb loading before a race? Fingers crossed for you.
Haha!!! Yes I like the way you think!!! I’m going with that!! Thx

OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
No big water change last night as I am out of town but I did 3 gal overnight the last two nights and will do a larger change when I get home tonight hopefully. The Alk is down to 9.87 overnight so the coral must be churning it up a bit

OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
here goes the ugly
whew...been a rough patch in Reefing this week. The Alk thing was bad enough but fixable and in the end didn't impact any coral. In the meantime, the Scribble looked like he had two grains of sand dangling off his tail... which i am inclined to think is lymphcystis. But wait read on it gets worse way worse!! :(:mad:

58966387376__BEC622DA-23B3-4DCC-BF37-DF1C1460FB20.JPG

IMG_3506.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

DSB or Deep Sand Beds (check all that apply to you)

• Yes I run a DSB

Votes: 148 21.4%
  • No I do not run a DSB

Votes: 378 54.5%
  • A DSB is a good idea

Votes: 93 13.4%
  • I do not think a DSB is a good idea

Votes: 160 23.1%
  • I have had a DSB in the past

Votes: 179 25.8%
  • I will have a DSB in the future

Votes: 60 8.7%