tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the good the bad the ugly!!
So yesterday I was back from MACNA and realized that while bouncing around traveling the day before I had inadvertently turned off my alk doser! So it was a little low and dropped below 8. Rather than Manually dose 30 ml I was in my office and turned on the doser through my apex. Got distracted ...phone call, grandson, amish patient with hip necrosis. At 5 pm I was getting ready to move some coral around and checked my trident readings and realized that the last reading at noon was 12 I checked the current level with my Hanna and got a 15.7!!!! Panic mode set in....turned off alk, did 40g water change, called Steven @dantimdad, turned off fuge light for the night. Cussed myself out for hours.

Noon alk 12.5
5pm. Alk 15.7 salinity 32.5 ph 8.9
7pm alk 12.7 ph 8.7
6am alk 11.5 ph 8.2.

So far all look well. Torch and frog spawn bigger then ever and waving in the flow! Yikes I’m an idiot!!!! Grrrr!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got to go to MACNA. Next year...

Also glad we talked about the emergency. Now it's under control and just one more water change and wait and see.

I love the fact that from hundreds of miles apart we can text and ask "Got a minute?" and help each other out.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the good the bad the ugly!!
So yesterday I was back from MACNA and realized that while bouncing around traveling the day before I had inadvertently turned off my alk doser! So it was a little low and dropped below 8. Rather than Manually dose 30 ml I was in my office and turned on the doser through my apex. Got distracted ...phone call, grandson, amish patient with hip necrosis. At 5 pm I was getting ready to move some coral around and checked my trident readings and realized that the last reading at noon was 12 I checked the current level with my Hanna and got a 15.7!!!! Panic mode set in....turned off alk, did 40g water change, called Steven @dantimdad, turned off fuge light for the night. Cussed myself out for hours.

Noon alk 12.5
5pm. Alk 15.7 salinity 32.5 ph 8.9
7pm alk 12.7 ph 8.7
6am alk 11.5 ph 8.2.

So far all look well. Torch and frog spawn bigger then ever and waving in the flow! Yikes I’m an idiot!!!! Grrrr!

Maybe they liked the alk high? Hopefully they weren’t hung over in the morning? Maybe more like carb loading before a race? Fingers crossed for you.

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they liked the alk high? Hopefully they weren’t hung over in the morning? Maybe more like carb loading before a race? Fingers crossed for you.
Haha!!! Yes I like the way you think!!! I’m going with that!! Thx

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here goes the ugly
whew...been a rough patch in Reefing this week. The Alk thing was bad enough but fixable and in the end didn't impact any coral. In the meantime, the Scribble looked like he had two grains of sand dangling off his tail... which i am inclined to think is lymphcystis. But wait read on it gets worse way worse!! :(:mad:

58966387376__BEC622DA-23B3-4DCC-BF37-DF1C1460FB20.JPG

IMG_3506.jpg

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo...after getting home from Alabama i notice a single white spot on the tail of one of the cardinals. Not out of the ordinary after a sand sweeping so I went about the tank maintenance feeling good that the Alk was down under 9 and the corals were doing well. But by the morning all heck broke loose. And here i am looking at going fallow and this after what i thought was doing everything by the book without a lot of money and forethought thrown into the book. So discouraging and sleep sucking.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back