My First Build. 200 gal. Acrylic tank. Here we go.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion keep the rock alive in saltwater and preserve as much life as you can. Do not use bleach or acid for live rock. Save the benefits. Normal reef temperature for you with a heater and some flow. I would water change often. I would take a power head and blow out the rock too. Get it right in the holes and watch the detritus flow out. Best to do this before a decent water change.

Any issues of algae to address on the rock can be done during curing. As your rock is live, it should cycle quickly when it is fully cured.

EDIT: it is essentially cycled, it just needs to process any die off.

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion keep the rock alive in saltwater and preserve as much life as you can. Do not use bleach or acid for live rock. Save the benefits. Normal reef temperature for you with a heater and some flow. I would water change often. I would take a power head and blow out the rock too. Get it right in the holes and watch the detritus flow out. Best to do this before a decent water change.

Any issues of algae to address on the rock can be done during curing. As your rock is live, it should cycle quickly when it is fully cured.

EDIT: it is essentially cycled, it just needs to process any die off.
Thank you. Sorry not to sound stupid but I am new to this. So put it all in a barrel with salt water, heater and circulate it? How long does this need to happen and do I need to put carbon in the water, or will it clean up with water changes?

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the tank and sump cheap, I think.
I was told it was a 180 but measures to be 200. 75” long. 22” deep, front to back. 29” tall.
I plan to build a reef tank. First Saltwater aquarium so I am going very slow. Hope to do as much right the first time so I don’t have to spend money twice. Good thought, right. Lol
Thanks for reading
William

I applaud you William. It seems like your building a whole tank from scratch. Wish I had the knowledge and capabilities to do that lol. Anyways look forward on hearing on the progress following along!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build William, following along...

MR BEAN 2.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Sorry not to sound stupid but I am new to this. So put it all in a barrel with salt water, heater and circulate it? How long does this need to happen and do I need to put carbon in the water, or will it clean up with water changes?

You don't sound stupid at all. With all the members imparting advice in this thread you're looking at probably a couple of hundred years experience total.

Are you continuing to keep it live in the containers as I recall you wanting to buff the acrylic?

Yes on the PH's for circulation or a pump. Also if there is a remote chance of using a skimmer it would be cool.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the rock in a pile (it is now dead rock) it would be good to power wash it (even at a carwash on 'RINSE') let it dry then do a hose rinse before putting in a container of salt water.

You could cure it separately with a couple of pieces of the LR from your existing LR. If you put it in the container with all the LR it could take some time to cure but if you don't mind a couple of month wait you could do that all together.

Please keep us up to date.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the questions coming, that is what we are here for!

So on the rock, you have a couple good options and then a couple options. I would avoid anything that involved a chemical of any kind. Here is what I would do (just did it) and some options within that:

Get a large container, something like a brute can and fill it with cheap salt water. I went and bought regular instant ocean. Take a couple 5 gallon buckets and fill them 3/4 with cheap salt water. Dip, dunk and swish the rock around the in the 5g buckets to clean out the "crud." Once clean, take a look at the rock for algae or pests. If its got either, scrub/remove.

Once "cleaned off," place in brute container with flow that breaks the waters surface. You can put heat on it, and depending on your ambient temperature, you should. I chose not to and the water dropped into the 60's. I didnt have any corals, so i allowed it. Every couple days, siphon out 5 gallons of water and replace with fresh salt water.

This process took my rock from smelling like poo, to being clean and smelling "tolerable" as it removed much of the waste. If you have a nano skimmer, throw it on. If not, dont sweat it.

*Wear gloves!!!!* I didnt the first time and something got me good in the finger. Took about 2 weeks for the sore to go away.

This process will keep your rock cured and alive, while flushing out detritus and other waste. For me, it killed a ton of bristle worms, which was a requirement for the wife. Even though i like them, she does not and i dont want to hear her wonderful voice every time she sees one.

Your progress is still fun to watch and keep enjoying the ride. If you reach a burn out point, take the night off and do something fun. Dont rush and keep posting pics :D

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some people decide to go LR instead of dry rock. Is that just personal preference or is there advantages going with LR?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some people decide to go LR instead of dry rock. Is that just personal preference or is there advantages going with LR?

LR can have many good hitchhikers such as sponges, coral, pods, and much more. But sometimes you have to take the bad with the good...unwanted pests. ;) And more often than not LR most of the time is in pretty decent clean shape.

My preference is the dry rock so I know it to be pest free. (well initially) It takes longer to get the system growing over LR. And to be honest at some point no matter how hard one tries, pests will at some point be introduced.

So it just depends on if you want a tank to cycle faster or not.

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how many pounds there is but I am certain it’s over 200. Paid almost dollar a pound.
I will see what I can do. I don’t have a skimmer yet. He had a HOB but it was for a 90 gallon.

5BF0064A-C05D-4294-A04B-518117AA10AF.jpeg

7DEC7CE2-0EC3-45F7-AC10-A1C570B0DA22.jpeg

94C16E04-DE7E-4507-9B6F-61ED4625BDFD.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As others stated, carbon and skimmer are both useful, but not required. You will know the rock is usable when it tests 0 ppm Ammonia. I like to test Phosphate too to see where it is. If it is very high I may cure longer.

EDIT: every time I added live rock to rocks curing or to the tank I got a noticeable jump in Phosphate, but did not always get Ammonia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting to shop around for a skimmer. Any suggestions for a 200 gal. tank?

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress not. Have not been doing much with the tank this week. I am putting in a family room that I am remodeling. Building an entertainment center at the same time.
It hit me the other morning, I have to lay new carpet before I setup the aquarium. Duh.... 2000ld will not be moving it again.....
Thanks for all the advise.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great PaPa ! You got "plenty" of advice so far so I'm going to add to it all. Look forward to seeing this all come together .

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress not. Have not been doing much with the tank this week. I am putting in a family room that I am remodeling. Building an entertainment center at the same time.
It hit me the other morning, I have to lay new carpet before I setup the aquarium. Duh.... 2000ld will not be moving it again.....
Thanks for all the advise.

Sound busy my friend. It is an opportunity to Cure all that dry rock with LR though. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back