20210103161109.jpg
the glare from the windows makes for a difficult photo

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change 100 if you want. Everything you worked for is on your substrate and the water column is waste. I cycled in a brute then just took the rocks out and didn’t have a single issue throwing all my critters in at day one

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change 100 if you want. Everything you worked for is on your substrate and the water column is waste. I cycled in a brute then just took the rocks out and didn’t have a single issue throwing all my critters in at day one
Yeah thought so was going to do a large one. Only issue i have is I'm going away for 3 days on friday till Sunday, so weighing off i should do a WC weds or wait till Monday.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thought so was going to do a large one. Only issue i have is I'm going away for 3 days on friday till Sunday, so weighing off i should do a WC weds or wait till Monday.
Unless you add inhabitants it doesn’t really matter. You are cycled. I would do a WC then add critters

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good mate, interesting to see what others have done with their waterbox's.
Are your rocks premade or did you set it up that way?
If they're fixed, how did you manage it?

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good mate, interesting to see what others have done with their waterbox's.
Are your rocks premade or did you set it up that way?
If they're fixed, how did you manage it?
Used $280 worth of rock. Broken up some large pieces and stacked ontop of each other got 3 or so rocks sitting together before I used some aqua epoxy from bunnings its in a tube works really well.. then I use the reef cement from ocean reef marine to really cement the base together.. if you were to turn ut all upside down the bottom would look almost grey.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle has completed and with a WC 120L done today, surprisingly it didn't take me long at all to haul 4 x 30L buckets in.

Attachments

• 20210106_084905.jpg
    20210106_084905.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210106_101408.jpg
    20210106_101408.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like the skimmer is up and running, no overflow dial set to maximum will reduce as it breaks in.

Will be adding life this week so stay close and watch this space. Any suggestions for first coral and fish?

Have 2 hermit crabs and snails to be picked up this week also.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do today is the day, adding life to the tank, (other than the live bacteria) waterchange out in the morning 20% levels are stable, LFS tests show nitrate is 10-12. Will reduced with another WC hopefully that is the red sea test kit, funny because my salifert test reads 50.. how 2 tests are different. Alkalinity did go down to 6.9 after waterchange but no concerns for now.

Anyways a handful of snails to kick start the CUC.

Lights have been off only switched on for photo, trying to limit the light to keep any algae bloom to take off.

20210113_130830.jpg

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Envy you for starting earlier and getting yours cycled haha.
Can't wait to start adding things!
I've heard about leaving the lights off to limit a bloom. Don't know how long I could last with that though haha.
Maybe a month or two I guess lol

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Envy you for starting earlier and getting yours cycled haha.
Can't wait to start adding things!
I've heard about leaving the lights off to limit a bloom. Don't know how long I could last with that though haha.
Maybe a month or two I guess lol
I kept my light off until I was ready for some fish. After adding fish, I ran my light at 10% just to give it some life. I have a small diatom bloom, but that’s where a cleanup crew comes in. I don’t think you will have a bloom unless the tank is cycled. But then again, there’s no point in having your lights on if the tank does not have any inhabitants for you to look at lol.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at putting in some coral tomorrow maybe bubble coral, Zoanthids, not sure yet some easy corals. Just don't know how long I can keep the lights off.. maybe I should just wait another week:rolleyes:

Back