My first build110g acrylic!!!!! Yaya BUDDY.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add another wrinkle or two. About using the plumbing for water changes..it is nice to have a dedicated "out" line or t but in reality, you usually vaccum up stuff while doing a water change.

One thing that I never see done but is a great idea.. got it from the fresh water guys. Is to T off your main return line (from the Pump to the tank) and run the line directly to your filter sock chamber. When you want to clean your sump you just close the return line to the tank and open the line to the sock chamber. Then you just scrub a dub dub with the water running and all the crud in your sump runs through the filter socks and can be removed from the system (and does not get pumped to the tank).

Just an idea but it does work wonderfully. Congrats on the new tank!
I like that idea maybe something I’ll do in future. Ya I figured every other water change I would be vacuuming the bed I’m actually making a siphon that will have a filter sock on the end so I can vacuum and get crap in sock while letting the water recirculate back into sump. Figured that would be easiest and quickest way.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few things, with the drains set up the way you have them, they are going to burp, I prefer the Bean Animal set up...virtually silent and its set and forget. Looks like your trying to run a Herbie style drain? If so, yo need to modify it some, nothing too major though...you need to add a second piece of pvc into the bulkhead that doesnt have any in it, in your overflow box. It needs to be taller than the other pipe in there, essentially you want 1 siphon and 1 emergency drain. Next, you need to add a valve to your siphon drain, I prefer gate valves here for ease of adjustment, but a ball valve will work. Need this to control your siphon, otherwise its just going to to keep burping. Next...your return pipes are not equal in length, you may need to add a ball valve on the shorter side and valve it off a little bit to even out the flow between the 2 outlets. AND FINALLY (probably not but we'll call it that for now ;) ) You should only be running about 5-7x you capacity...10x max, you have a 110 gal, so at the 800 gph that @fishguy242 estimated, you're not far from where you need to be. Dont rely on your return for the flow in your tank, thats what power heads, wave makers and closed loop systems are for.By my calculations, I am running right at 700 gph through my sump on my 75 gal tank, 400-500 of that is going through my refugium the rest is dumping straight into my skimmer chamber. ANd I still feel like I have too much going through, but my pump is on the next to the lowest setting ;Jawdrop
Ok awesome I actually already put a piece of pipe in the other slot I I’ll run to the hardware store for 2 gate valves when wife gets home and reconfigure both of those pipes. The gate valve I’ll be putting on the drain pipe should it be located on a horizontal piece of pipe or the vertical part of pipe?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
don't think matters but ball not gate on overflow

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work but a gate will allow for easier and finer adjustment ;) and no, it does not matter if its horizontal or vertical, just put it close to the sump
Well we getting balls they didn’t have any gates darn it and they call themselves a hardware store lol

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't think I've ever found gate valves at home depot or lowes. I typically get mine from Amazon...usually have them next day
Thing is Home Depot has them when I was there yesterday and I’ve seen them at this hardware store but couldn’t find any this time around. Got it all fixed though and she’s ready to move tomorrow after I clean out the room of course. Moving my pc from 3rd floor to main room den/study and turning that into my gaming/fish room. Boy I’m screwed if the tank ever floods lol.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well gents water is going in I have one piece of rock that’s being transplanted from other tank. But I think I will grab a few more pieces of rock to build it a little higher for sos when I finally get into them. But here are some pics.

8BB2E589-B7F7-4028-ABE7-7471F00279F4.jpeg FF1C60B5-876B-4E45-90D6-CDB92F628915.jpeg

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well gents water is going in I have one piece of rock that’s being transplanted from other tank. But I think I will grab a few more pieces of rock to build it a little higher for sos when I finally get into them. But here are some pics.
8BB2E589-B7F7-4028-ABE7-7471F00279F4.jpeg FF1C60B5-876B-4E45-90D6-CDB92F628915.jpeg
Was wondering if you were OK, or if you were pinned under the tank from trying to move it in...was afraid you might have gotten tangled up in your pajama pants and tripped over a slipper or something ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if you were OK, or if you were pinned under the tank from trying to move it in...was afraid you might have gotten tangled up in your pajama pants and tripped over a slipper or something ;Hilarious
Well you know the possibility of that happening was far greater than we can imagine lol. I was slacking a bit just because I had order sand and well today petco cancelled my order probably due to not having stock so I just went to petco and grabbed what they had hence the Hawaiian black sand and the other sand but I think it looks cool got a play ground for go gobies and other sifters. Still waiting on my heater to show up my other gyre 2k as well more salt and my reactors. But other than that tomorrow I’m going to be installing the auto topoff and routing cords to where I like em making it look pretty all but my stupid hanging lights. But I’m happy for at least the next year or 2 until I want bigger.

3CBB70B3-3532-4B95-B38D-3DD8759A0AB0.jpeg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking good ,yellow watchman going to really pop ,with the black sand :cool: n yep i see approx 4 more feet of width there;).......8' er..lol

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good ,yellow watchman going to really pop ,with the black sand :cool: n yep i see approx 4 more feet of width there;).......8' er..lol
Oh dude I could definitely add another 4ft and probably have about 3 inches on each side left. I think I would have to shore up the floor for that one.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg the wait is terrible seems the longer I wait for cycle the more money I spend. Now looking at adding a third ai light wether it’s a another 26 or a 52 idk yet. But I do know I am adding a 5gal ATO reservoir that way it will give me enough room for my dual reactor and dosing kit in the future. Get my rails for light on Friday so those will be installed and on cycle. Started a few initial tests. I tested
10.5 on alk
1200mag
350 calc
ph8.4
Ammonia .5
Nitrite.25-.5
Nitrate 0

It’s getting there hopefully another week and she’ll be ready for a few mates.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well after picking up my light lastnight I got a bit excited and started to check my parameters for water. and everything was spot on
ph 8.4
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10

also double checked number this morning and everything still good. which is a good things because I got to excited lastnight and purchased a few fish since my parameters were good. but I got powder blue tang mimic tang yellow watchman lawnmower blenny and 6line wrasse coming primarily cleaners fish as I dont have a CuC yet. started seeing a bit of diatom this morning. so I went out and pick up a piece of live rock and some more sand and set up my refugium so when I order my CuC I can get some chaeto everuything smooth sailing next step will be tank transfer ina few weeks.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,did you put these fish in new tank?

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not yet they coming in tomorrow got them from saltwaterfish.com they had the best deals going on and theyre one of my trusted sites to purchase.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no qt..not worried during cycle?? is your skimmer running?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back