My First Coral and Fish in my 180Gallon Tank

Canan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
After running my tank for 1 month with live rock and sand (after having the cycle completed), I decided to add the below live stock (as per to the suggestion of my LFS who had built my tank)

1. Cinnamon Clown x2
2. Toadstool leather
3. Waving hand anthelia
4. Hermit x5
5. Snails x15

It had been 1 week since I have them. The anthelia started to open its polyps just today, the toadstool is not happy so far. I couldn't see any improvement with the toadstool yet. I would require some support on how I can make him feel happy.
Also, the cinnamon clowns look to be too shy to show themselves. Though the tank is 180 gallon (such a huge area for them), they are alway hiding behind the rocks and don't swim at all. They become active once I feed them only. Is this normal for a cinnamon clown or do I need to be concerned with them?
Below is the chemistry of my water;

pH 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
Calcium 140ppm
KH 125.3ppm (7dKH)
Phosphate 0ppm
Salinity 1.028

Since the last week, I am changing 5 gallons of water every day with direct RODI water (my initial salinity was 1.036 and trying to reduce to 1.026 via this practice, hope this is right).

I would appreciate all the input so that I can make my fellows happy and start to add more neighbors and friends :)

Below are some pictures from them;

08v8IBo9Rn6AdFxGgqrnEQ.jpg
mSlWC106St+7WYJnxuV15g.jpg
Tqr6irxySlWh3PWapMza9w.jpg
gajWi12PSIq6My70lckcSQ.jpg
dIug8O%xTe+OMkUALuOE1A.jpg
SlATCvgwTfKA1S2YQguOQg.jpg
DbA0EO80RiadfQMkR4j0iw.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toadstool will stay covered up until he sheds ...not uncommon...pretty likely when switching tanks. It's self-cleaning. Make sure he's getting a lot of flow and just have patience. :)

If you're doing anything to "force" that zero PO4 reading, stop doing it.

If you're seeing that NO3 number continue to climb, then you know there really is zero phosphate in your water.

Phosphates are crucial for many things in a reef. So having none availble is not good in a brand new tank as it can lead some critters to starvation – critters such as dinoflagellates, which have all kinds of bad behavior to get into when they think they're starving. On top of that, the good microbes and algae that you're trying to encourage really are starving. And their strategy is pretty much just to die.

For now, just make sure you are feeding the tank regularly so there's at least a regular input of food-based nutrients. (It's not going to help the issue immediately.)

But if the days keep rolling by without you seeing any PO4 in your tests (or at least some nice green algae!!!) and NO3 is still high, I'd very strongly consider dosing the tank with a little bit of phosphate fertilizer to try and balance things sooner than later. (Dissolved nutrients will help immediately with the issue.)

If you end up doing this fertilizer, you won't have to dose very much or for very long. So don't worry too much about it. :)

OP
OP
C

Canan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toadstool will stay covered up until he sheds ...not uncommon...pretty likely when switching tanks. It's self-cleaning. Make sure he's getting a lot of flow and just have patience. :)

If you're doing anything to "force" that zero PO4 reading, stop doing it.

If you're seeing that NO3 number continue to climb, then you know there really is zero phosphate in your water.

Phosphates are crucial for many things in a reef. So having none availble is not good in a brand new tank as it can lead some critters to starvation – critters such as dinoflagellates, which have all kinds of bad behavior to get into when they think they're starving. On top of that, the good microbes and algae that you're trying to encourage really are starving. And their strategy is pretty much just to die.

For now, just make sure you are feeding the tank regularly so there's at least a regular input of food-based nutrients. (It's not going to help the issue immediately.)

But if the days keep rolling by without you seeing any PO4 in your tests (or at least some nice green algae!!!) and NO3 is still high, I'd very strongly consider dosing the tank with a little bit of phosphate fertilizer to try and balance things sooner than later. (Dissolved nutrients will help immediately with the issue.)

If you end up doing this fertilizer, you won't have to dose very much or for very long. So don't worry too much about it. :)

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your response.
Well, I am not doing anything besides changing the water 5 gallons everyday to reduce the salinity.
However, I was always having the concern that I am removing the salty water along with the nutritions inside (especially the calcium and the phosphate) and adding fresh water only. I think the calcium level is also low (as per to what I read on different threads here).
What do you think about the clowns behavior?

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, when i first got into the hobby about 2 years ago i bought 2 clowns (still have and love the buggers) however what they dont tell you about clowns are 2 things. 1) they bite... 2)they tend to pick a spot "host it" and hang out there forever.

Good Luck and remember do lots of reading and asking questions, best way to learn!

OP
OP
C

Canan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is further update.
After making further water changes to reduce the salinity, I have noticed that both toadstool and anthelia are happier now.
Here is the new condition of my tank, (running for 2 months only).

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Calcium 360ppm
KH 125.3ppm (7dKH)
Phosphate 0.25ppm
Salinity 1.027

There is big decrease on nitrate level (80ppm to 20ppm) and increase on calcium (140ppm to 360ppm) and phosphate level (0ppm to 0.25ppm).

I would appreciate all your views, comments and suggestion on the current situation and what I need to do further for increasing live stock in my tank.

Thanks

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is further update.
After making further water changes to reduce the salinity, I have noticed that both toadstool and anthelia are happier now.
Here is the new condition of my tank, (running for 2 months only).

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Calcium 360ppm
KH 125.3ppm (7dKH)
Phosphate 0.25ppm
Salinity 1.027

There is big decrease on nitrate level (80ppm to 20ppm) and increase on calcium (140ppm to 360ppm) and phosphate level (0ppm to 0.25ppm).

I would appreciate all your views, comments and suggestion on the current situation and what I need to do further for increasing live stock in my tank.

Thanks

Water parameters look about perfect now.. One thing. You shouldn't be doing 5 gallon water changes every day to get salinity down. If your Salinity is too high, then you should be taking saltwater out and replacing with freshwater. If you change too much water too soon you'll remove a lot of the tanks newly established bio-filter and your tank can re-cycle. I'd keep checking your water parameters for the next couple weeks and make sure you don't get any spikes.

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed your tank is 180 gallon so 5 gallon water changes shouldn't really hurt it depending on how many you did :]

OP
OP
C

Canan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters look about perfect now.. One thing. You shouldn't be doing 5 gallon water changes every day to get salinity down. If your Salinity is too high, then you should be taking saltwater out and replacing with freshwater. If you change too much water too soon you'll remove a lot of the tanks newly established bio-filter and your tank can re-cycle. I'd keep checking your water parameters for the next couple weeks and make sure you don't get any spikes.

Thanks HexaReef,
I was doing exactly the same way you described - taking out saltwater from the tank and replacing with fresh RODI water, but 5 gallons a day (considering the tank is 180gallons, around 3% a day).
I also don`t want to go too fast on increasing the population inside the tank, so will continue testing once a week. What shall be the trend on the test results that I need to be looking for so that I can increase the livestock?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than a specific target, I would suggest confirming that the numbers are stable for a week. Stable within acceptable ranges which yours seem to be. Calcium may be a hair low, but probably not much demand in that young of an aquarium.

Once the system is stable it can handle small additions. Then wait again until stability resumes to add more.

OP
OP
C

Canan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than a specific target, I would suggest confirming that the numbers are stable for a week. Stable within acceptable ranges which yours seem to be. Calcium may be a hair low, but probably not much demand in that young of an aquarium.

Once the system is stable it can handle small additions. Then wait again until stability resumes to add more.

OK!!!
I will run 1 or 2 tests within next 1 week to see the trend and hopefully they will be stable.
What is your view on the salinity, shall i target for 1.025?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back