My first coral, need advice on mounting this blasto

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a "freebie" blasto from IPSF with my mud/sand/etc order. My first coral! I dipped it before putting it my tank.

However, I pictured something on a plug more like what see on websites. This looked more like a candelabra for lack of a better term.

coral1.jpg

It is on a "stem" that is about 1.5" - 2" long.

coral2.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pics, I will be trying to work with my SLR soon to get decent photos. I should have gotten a pic in the dip container but I was dealing with a dozen bags of various things.

I kinda wedged it into a low light area for now. My questions:

1. Is this "open" or, such as pics will allow, looking happy?

2. How should I mount it? Should I cut the stem to the base and glue? If so, how close to the "arms" should I trim it? I am not sure what to do. I had expected a plug I could leave in the sand for a bit. I don't want to stress it. I really didn't expect it to have "arms" and a "stem". I could glue it to a little piece of rock "for now".

thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It will open a little more. Bring it up to the mid tank level and it requires moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3X per week. Its still acclimating, so again will open some more.

OP
OP
ChrisNH

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will open a little more. Bring it up to the mid tank level and it requires moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3X per week. Its still acclimating, so again will open some more.
Its around 60-80 there. I had thought they wanted super low light, I can give it a try some where with a little more par.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its around 60-80 there. I had thought they wanted super low light, I can give it a try some where with a little more par.
mine is a colony and under Orpheks at 180-par

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One point I can tell you from experience is the stim on the bottom of the plug likely won't "cut" well. It can be sawed, but my first frag plug was the same kind and I tried to cut it with a pair of cable cutters not realizing it was made out of ceramic.

The awesome part is after the entire frag plug exploded, I discovered that the corals can be glued directly in place and I like the look of it much better.

I've since started removing all frag plugs from corals I buy.

Happy accident I suppose.

Edit; just realized I completely misread your question.

Anyone noticing a theme here lol.

You should be good cutting it as close to the frag plug as possible. I can usually more or less break them off at the glue.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back