My first experience with breeding the Banggai Cardinalfish in my home tank.

Erick Camargo

View Badges
Reaction score
I would like to share with you guys, my first experience in breeding cardinal Banggais in my home tank.

I have had a cardinal banggai (female) for over 4 years and I had never managed to get him a pair. Because it is difficult to identify the sex of those who are younger and here in my city it is not so common to find a cardinal banggai with adult size so that it is possible to identify the sex. I was only able to identify sex clearly after his second year of life. Well, I saw a friend selling a cardinal banggai with about 3 years of life and decided to go to his house to see to try to identify the sex, because he was not able to make good pictures. It really wasn't as visible as I could see it on my fish, but I decided to take a chance.

The female accepted the new colleague very well, but I saw some fighting at night in the aquarium. However, after 1 month together ... I could see the long-awaited, mating dance that the female does.

I was sure it was a couple of banggais.

After 3 months together, eating together and sleeping on top of a Long Tentacles anemone that I had, I realized that the mouth of one of them was much bigger than the other banggai. I decided to take my camera and try to take some photos with higher resolution.

I was very happy with what I saw:

extra pic ;)

Then I notice the male eat some food that I offered to the other fishes in the tank after 15 days from these pics that I took.
Sad history, the eggs was eaten by male.

I bought a book just to make sure I have all basic information that I saw on the internet from expert breeders.

Yes, I had it.

So, I just wait for another lucky night to see male carrying more eggs.

BINGO!
After 2 weeks (I guess) I could see the same movie again: The eggs on male's mouth!

I started to feed the other fish with less quantity to avoid that the male could feel like eating and ended up eating the roe again.

After 20 days I noticed that the male's colouring was more opaque (lighter) and I was sitting there in front of the aquarium looking at the animals when I noticed that there were 3 baby banggais swimming close to my carpet anemone, (see the video):

I ran to be able to capture them and take them to a safer area, a box of nets to protect them.

So,
I started looking for more survivors ... hahaha
I found another single banggai swimming in the middle of the euphyllias.
And that was it ...
Only 4 babies Banggais were found.

I noticed that there were more chicks in the male's mouth and they were very agitated inside his mouth ... I ran to the fridge to get mullet roe to try to feed them (thanks Michel Deniz for the roe) ... And I already got my kit hatching brine shrimp and put it to work in order to obtain nauplii of brine shrimp as soon as possible.

Brine Shrimp Hatching kit (from AliExpress lol)

I researched some techniques to make the puppies less stressed, after all, they would be in the box without any shelter / hiding place.
I found a really cool post here by colleague @35ppt (thanks pal) he shows his fake sea urchins made of epoxy and zip tie clippings.

Than I tried to build my own fake sea urchin:

This is the last update from Banggais babies (today - few minutes ago).

I will get it another alternative of food to them this evening from 3D fish (Brazil) - Phytoplankton to feed the brine shrimps and Rotifers for the babies banggais.

Thanks @MarceloVaz for all support and products you provided.

For now: That's it

So far so good.
Hope get back to this topic with more good news.
I'm really excited to see these little banggais growing.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Erick Camargo

Erick Camargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Unfortunately one banggai died. I have no idea what happened with that, but the bigger one.
The others 4 are eating 3 times per day and just brine shrimp. Already tried to feed using Frenzy Coral 0.5mm food, but they just ignore, just accepting live brine shrimp.

here is a video made before the loss.

Trying to relax, I painted a canvas in neon paint... it’s almost the same one that I saw in the internet, but I changed some details...

Attachments

• E1F154A9-B89C-4019-BE96-D1F311650730.jpeg
    E1F154A9-B89C-4019-BE96-D1F311650730.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5191.MOV
    82.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 978E20DC-4AD4-47DC-99FF-174EE916764B.jpeg
    978E20DC-4AD4-47DC-99FF-174EE916764B.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 37

Lovelydrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Congrats. I will be following. I think this is a pretty good resource so far. Mine just started breeding and I think this will be the 3rd time. I haven't taken the time to catch any of the fry, but I noticed my male's mouth open and him not really eating. I'm thinking about setting up another tank just for them, but I'm not sure if I have the time :(

Corals.com
OP
Erick Camargo

Erick Camargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Congrats. I will be following. I think this is a pretty good resource so far. Mine just started breeding and I think this will be the 3rd time. I haven't taken the time to catch any of the fry, but I noticed my male's mouth open and him not really eating. I'm thinking about setting up another tank just for them, but I'm not sure if I have the time :(

I don't think this is really important or necessary thou...
Maybe a fish breeder box like the same one that I have in my tank can help.

But, I would not move banggais from the main tank to the fish breeder box...
If you saw male's mouth with eggs, wait 19 days and try to see (I use a zoom camera) if the fry already hatched. And check every day... then, close to 21 days, wait for lights off and try to get the male and put in breeder box. It's possible the male just spit the fry. And prepare a brine shrimp reactor to feed the fry in the second day.

I will try to make a movie tomorrow feeding my little banggais.. they are growing super fast. I'm really excited with that.

Cya!

Maxout

Reefer58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Congrats! I am looking forward to seeing your progress on them :). The babies are adorable and I also liked the fake urchin idea!

When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?

• A week ago

Votes: 130 29.1%
  • A few weeks ago

Votes: 87 19.5%
  • A few months ago

Votes: 35 7.8%
  • It's been 6 months or more

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • It's been over a year

Votes: 13 2.9%
  • It's been several years

Votes: 11 2.5%