1   0   0
Tried to give ya a heads up.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw you have Foxface on your list. I would check out the Magnificent Foxface. Beautiful fish, a little tough to find sometimes, and not as common as the regular yellow variety but has the same body.

I was looking for one for 8 months and then ended up with 2 within a month. You're not supposed to have more than 1 per tank, btw, or they'll fight. I worked some magic with a lot of luck to get them to play nice.

I would skip the Cardinals, imo. Most boring fish ever, unless you like them for some reason.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw you have Foxface on your list. I would check out the Magnificent Foxface. Beautiful fish, a little tough to find sometimes, and not as common as the regular yellow variety but has the same body.

I was looking for one for 8 months and then ended up with 2 within a month. You're not supposed to have more than 1 per tank, btw, or they'll fight. I worked some magic with a lot of luck to get them to play nice.

I would skip the Cardinals, imo. Most boring fish ever, unless you like them for some reason.

Yea I really love the shape of the foxface fishes how they extend their spines is interesting looking. But I'm not thrilled about them being venomous. It's more of a maybe at this point. The cardinals I think are interesting looking and I like that they always seem to be out. Granted, not doing much but they're out there. Here is my ever changing stock list as it stands now:

Acquired:
Tailspot Blenny

Possible Future Acquisitions:
Neon Blue Goby
2-3 Zebra Barred Dartfish
2 Banngi Cardinal
2-3 Blue/Green Chromis <-- Maybe
Hi Fin Red Banded Goby and Red Banded Snapping Shrimp
Long Tentacle Anemone
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
Hoeven's/Melanurus Wrasse and Red Coris Wrasse and/or Potter's Wrasse (I need to read up on wrasse compatibility to be sure these are good options to be together)
Coral Banded Shrimp and Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Green Mandarin Dragonet <-- Maybe
Foxface <-- Maybe
Azure Damsel
Dwarf Flame Angel or Coral Beauty Angel
Yellow Eye Kole Tang and Yellow Tang (Might try a Powder Blue Tang also)
Tridacna Clam
2 Schooling Bannerfish
Blue Throat Trigger

Clean Up Crew:
-As Needed-
Trochus Snail
Cerith Snail
Nassarius Snail
Peppermint Shrimp
Emerald Crab

Corals:
-First-
Zoas
Hammer
Frogspawn
Torch

-Later-
Birds Nest
Montipora
Other Acropora
Probably a bit of everything.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I really love the shape of the foxface fishes how they extend their spines is interesting looking. But I'm not thrilled about them being venomous. It's more of a maybe at this point. The cardinals I think are interesting looking and I like that they always seem to be out. Granted, not doing much but they're out there. Here is my ever changing stock list as it stands now:

Acquired:
Tailspot Blenny

Possible Future Acquisitions:
Neon Blue Goby
2-3 Zebra Barred Dartfish
2 Banngi Cardinal
2-3 Blue/Green Chromis <-- Maybe
Hi Fin Red Banded Goby and Red Banded Snapping Shrimp
Long Tentacle Anemone
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
Hoeven's/Melanurus Wrasse and Red Coris Wrasse and/or Potter's Wrasse (I need to read up on wrasse compatibility to be sure these are good options to be together)
Coral Banded Shrimp and Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Green Mandarin Dragonet <-- Maybe
Foxface <-- Maybe
Azure Damsel
Dwarf Flame Angel or Coral Beauty Angel
Yellow Eye Kole Tang and Yellow Tang (Might try a Powder Blue Tang also)
Tridacna Clam
2 Schooling Bannerfish
Blue Throat Trigger

Clean Up Crew:
-As Needed-
Trochus Snail
Cerith Snail
Nassarius Snail
Peppermint Shrimp
Emerald Crab

Corals:
-First-
Zoas
Hammer
Frogspawn
Torch

-Later-
Birds Nest
Montipora
Other Acropora
Probably a bit of everything.

The only time you have to be careful is when handling the fish in a net, that's all. Seriously, the spines play absolutely no role in an aquarium setting. They're more for in the wild.

So don't let that be a decision maker for you because they're awesome fish, with a couple of nice looking color varieties.

It seems you're looking at mostly small fish, aside of the Trigger & Tangs. One of the cooler looking ones that's cheap, and captive bred, is a Splendid Dottyback. Give it a Google and a few images pop up. Awesome looking fish.

The Yellow Tang won't be available much longer, or any Hawaiian fish for that matter, because of Hawaii closing off ornamental fish catching. So you should get any Hawaiian fish now or you'll pay a fortune, if you could even find one. The last Hawaiian licenses expire very shortly, like a month or so. Just an fyi.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time you have to be careful is when handling the fish in a net, that's all. Seriously, the spines play absolutely no role in an aquarium setting. They're more for in the wild.

So don't let that be a decision maker for you because they're awesome fish, with a couple of nice looking color varieties.

It seems you're looking at mostly small fish, aside of the Trigger & Tangs. One of the cooler looking ones that's cheap, and captive bred, is a Splendid Dottyback. Give it a Google and a few images pop up. Awesome looking fish.

The Yellow Tang won't be available much longer, or any Hawaiian fish for that matter, because of Hawaii closing off ornamental fish catching. So you should get any Hawaiian fish now or you'll pay a fortune, if you could even find one. The last Hawaiian licenses expire very shortly, like a month or so. Just an fyi.

I think I have to add the smaller fish first don't I? If I can't get em I'm sure I'll find a replacement.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170920_174741.jpg

Made a stand for the other barrel to match the one that come with them. Eventually I'd like to use the external pump to plump these two together and get a submersible for the tank and then I could switch to a larger sump I already have. As well as reduce noise under the cabinet.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the smaller fish, you put the most aggressive in last.

How early in my list could I be adding a yellow tang and yellow eye kole tang? I think I've for sure got to have the dartfish and gobies in first right?

Last edited:

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How early in my list could I be adding a yellow tang and yellow eye kole tang? I think I've for sure got to have the dartfish and gobies in first right?

Did you make sure all of the fish on the list are compatible with each other? I don't know enough about those fish to say. But at this point in time, I would focus on the Hawaiian fish first because in a matter of weeks they're not going to be available or the prices are going to be through the roof for what's left.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make sure all of the fish on the list are compatible with each other? I don't know enough about those fish to say. But at this point in time, I would focus on the Hawaiian fish first because in a matter of weeks they're not going to be available or the prices are going to be through the roof for what's left.

Yea I read about them all except for the wrasses I still need to read up on. But I know the peaceful fish need to be in first. If I can't get the fish I want or have to wait than so be it. But I don't want to have issues with aggression because I added a yellow tang right away. I wish I hadn't sold the 60 gallon I had. Then I would just put them in there for now. Maybe I can find a cheap tank so I can grab those two tangs while I still can. But on the other hand, I heard the ruling isn't likely to stand long term. We will see.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that center over flow. I would be glueing montis and zoas to it.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I read about them all except for the wrasses I still need to read up on. But I know the peaceful fish need to be in first. If I can't get the fish I want or have to wait than so be it. But I don't want to have issues with aggression because I added a yellow tang right away. I wish I hadn't sold the 60 gallon I had. Then I would just put them in there for now. Maybe I can find a cheap tank so I can grab those two tangs while I still can. But on the other hand, I heard the ruling isn't likely to stand long term. We will see.

Another option I found works VERY well is using a type of large isolation/breeding box. This is how I got 2 similar Wrasses to stop fighting, 2 puffers, and 2 of the same Foxface.

By placing the victimized fish in the isolation box, inside the display tank, while the aggressor roams free, it allows the fish to be introduced to each other without contact. It enabled the aggressive fish to go up to the isolation box and try to attack the other fish, but couldn't, and after a day it went from attacking to just checking out, then after 3 days the aggressor lost interest and the new fish was set free. There was still slight aggression at first, but lasted maybe a day and wasn't constant at all. Then if you witness the aggression, feeding kills it right away. Even if they're compatible, some fish will just want to establish a hierarchy.

So if you ever run into that situation, or just want to cautiously introduce a new fish without the other fish all overwhelming it at once, the box works great. It's basically an introduction box, lol. Something good to have on hand just in case you need to separate fish for whatever reason.

This is the one I got, made by Crystal Zoo. Is made of Acrylic with a lid. Not available on Amazon anymore, but was like $10.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that center over flow. I would be glueing montis and zoas to it.
Thanks! I was already thinking that, but because it's all scratched up. Lol

Another option I found works VERY well is using a type of large isolation/breeding box. This is how I got 2 similar Wrasses to stop fighting, 2 puffers, and 2 of the same Foxface.

By placing the victimized fish in the isolation box, inside the display tank, while the aggressor roams free, it allows the fish to be introduced to each other without contact. It enabled the aggressive fish to go up to the isolation box and try to attack the other fish, but couldn't, and after a day it went from attacking to just checking out, then after 3 days the aggressor lost interest and the new fish was set free. There was still slight aggression at first, but lasted maybe a day and wasn't constant at all. Then if you witness the aggression, feeding kills it right away. Even if they're compatible, some fish will just want to establish a hierarchy.

So if you ever run into that situation, or just want to cautiously introduce a new fish without the other fish all overwhelming it at once, the box works great. It's basically an introduction box, lol. Something good to have on hand just in case you need to separate fish for whatever reason.

This is the one I got, made by Crystal Zoo. Is made of Acrylic with a lid. Not available on Amazon anymore, but was like $10.

For sure I was planning on just making one. Or make an acrylic fish trap so I could use it for either. Currently searching local forum and craigslist for a cheap 40-60 gallon.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just read some more about the Hawaii fish ban and it's a ban on renewing permits, so there should still be people with valid permits for up to a year. Also both the tangs on my list are found in places other than Hawaii.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those are going to make a great home for your little guy!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When are you going to put him in the tank? BTW let your film algae grow on at least a section of your glass for him. You'll like watching him eat.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you going to put him in the tank? BTW let your film algae grow on at least a section of your glass for him. You'll like watching him eat.

I've got him up to .5ml/l of copper now so about 30 days still! Frustrating but I'd rather be safe than sorry I guess. I'm going to be as careful as possible with the stocking. Corals and inverts are going to get a 76 day QT. The coral and invert tank will hopefully be cycled in a week or so. Maybe less. Then I'll get some softies and snails/shrimps in the 10 gallon.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back