My first foray: Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2

morkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy new year everyone!
I just placed the order for my first saltwater aquarium, and I am super excited!

With some negotiations with the boss lady, I was permitted space for a new 36" aquarium in the living room. This only cost me an Ikea bookcase, so I would say that is a win!
After much thought I decided to go with the RS Reefer XL 300 G2. I picked the deluxe edition for the bundled pair of ReefLed 90 lights.
This a 80g system with 65g display and 15g sump. Being my first reef tank the simple included plumbing is probably what won out. I was also considering the IM Int 75 as an alternative.

I plan to stock with mostly softies and LPS, but want the option of adding SPS in the future if I desire.
In terms of fish this is still to be finalized. I will add an initial pair of Ocellaris Clownfish once the cycle is complete. I would also like to add a pistol shrimp / Goby pair down the road, and probably a Wrasse and Firefish.
Feel freed to provide any recommendations.

Below is my full equipment list broken down into sections with some thoughts on each...

Water mixing station:
BRS 7 Stage RO/DI.
2 x 44g Brute Trashcans for RO/DI storage and saltwater mixing.
Sicce Ultra Zero utility pump.
Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 powerhead for mixing.
50ft Python for filling / water changes.
Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt.
BRS Refractometer
Aquatec Booster Pump kit
Booster Pump pre-filter

I have well water where I am and I am not sure if the water pressure will be sufficient for the RO/DI system. If not I will add an Aquatec booster pump and a pre-filter.
The reason for choosing the 7 stage RO/DI was because I ran a SafeHome lab test in Feb 2022 and the report found I have 15.4 mg/L of Silica in my water. I am hoping the DI resin will last a bit longer with the 7 stage. Incidentally the report also said my TDS out of the tap is only 35.7.

Tank and equipment:
Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2
2 x ReefLED 90 lights with brackets.
RSK-300 Skimmer
ReefMat 500 Fleece Roller
Reef Octopus Varios 4 return pump
2 x Maxspect Gyre XF330 flow pumps
HYDROS WaveEngine v2 Pump Controller
HYDROS WE connector leads for the Maxspect and Varios
Red Sea Cabinet Slide-Out Mounting Panel - 60
Innovative Marine Helio PTC Smart Heater - 400 Watt

Up until the last minute I was debating on if to use the Red Sea ReefWave or the Maxspect Gyre flow pumps. The Maxspect combined with the Hydros wave engine controller won out in the end as it fits into the Hydros eco-system, which leads onto...

Monitoring / Control:
HYDROS Control X4 / XP8 PRO Pack
HYDROS Rope Leak Sensor
HYDROS Water Level Sensor
HYDROS Skimmer Sensor
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit

I will add other test kits down the road once I have started to add corals. Probably this bundle is what I will get.
Hydros vs Apex, that is a debate that will last the ages with the pro's and con's of both. I went with the Hydos being the newer player, plus they can be mounted nicely and look good IMO.

Misc:
3 x CaribSea Aragalive Reef Sand - Special Grade
Marcorocks Shelf Scape 50 Kit
10 lbs - Marcorocks Reef Saver Shelf rock
25 lbs - Marcorocks Reef Saver rock
E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Mortar Complete Kit
8oz Dr. Tim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria

I have a bottle of ammonia chloride I use for cycling my freshwater tanks. There should be around 75lbs of rock in total which I hope with allow some flexibility for when I aquascape.

Updates with picture to follow once items start arriving.

UPDATES:
Update 1 - RO/DI and tank news
Update 2 - Long overdue

Last edited:
OP
OP
morkin

morkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 1: RO/DI and Tank news

Earlier this week I received a stack of boxes from Bulk Reef Supply. This was my RO/DI system, salt, and other bits needed for the salt water mixing station.

I was happy that BRS did a good job of packaging their RO/DI system and it came pre-assembled.
PXL_20230104_174711671.jpg

I have installed the system into my utility room and hooked up the water supply and drain line.
PXL_20230106_154300634.jpg

Unfortunately as expected my well water has low PSI, so I have ordered a booster pump to compensate. 24 PSI is not going to cut it.
PXL_20230106_154308105.jpg

While I wait for this to arrive, I will be working on the plumbing for the RO/DI water storage and salt water mixing next.
I picked up 2 x 44 gallon Brute trashcans from Lowes which included the lids. Unfortunately I was not paying attention and they gave me lids for the 33 gallon cans so I need to go back and swap these out for the right ones.

My reef rock and a few other items should be delivered tomorrow. Fishtanksdirect have done a great job with keeping me updated with detail of the items I ordered from them, including the tank. They expect all the Red Sea items to be shipped out from Texas next week, and it will probably take another week to get to the distribution point in NJ.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the tank. I bought the slightly smaller Red Sea Reefer G2 250. Good looking tanks. Initially I found the black background a little gloomy, but now the filter mat has cleared the water things are looking much better. Initial diatoms and algae now gone/going fast. I had planned to work only with filter socks and no skimmer, but I fell for the skimmer and filter mat which meant I had to cut out the sock/media basket tray. The 250 has only a single return pipe nozzle, so ordered a Y-splitter today to spread the return flow a little…..

tsharpe129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks Like you’ve got everything well thought out, welcome and congrats on the new system!

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the tank. I bought the slightly smaller Red Sea Reefer G2 250. Good looking tanks. Initially I found the black background a little gloomy, but now the filter mat has cleared the water things are looking much better. Initial diatoms and algae now gone/going fast. I had planned to work only with filter socks and no skimmer, but I fell for the skimmer and filter mat which meant I had to cut out the sock/media basket tray. The 250 has only a single return pipe nozzle, so ordered a Y-splitter today to spread the return flow a little…..
Did yours not come with the Y splitter?

OP
OP
morkin

morkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: Long overdue

Well it has been a awhile and thing have progressed fast. With life and work getting in the way I have not found the time to update you all on the progress.

Last time I was having RO/DI pressure issue and still waiting for a bunch of the equipment to be delivered. I am happy to report that everything is now here and the aquarium is cycling.

First an update on the RO/DI. I added the booster pump and pre-filter and it is working out great. I am about half way though the Anion DI resin, but the Cation resin does not seem to be getting used. This seems to justify my choice for going with the 7 stage system.

1675028125146.jpeg

The Marco reef rock did arrive and I ended up with a good selection of pieces with very little breakage..
1675028463200.jpeg

I used all of the base and shelf rock on my aquascape and have some pieces left over that I broke down and put into the sump.
All the other equipment arrived in another couple of shipments. Then the big day arrived.

On a cold and rainy New Jersey morning a 40ft delivery truck backed up a hill that meets my driveway. This was as close as the driver could get to make delivery.
1675028937058.jpeg

Unloading using a pallet jack at on this downward angle with a floor that is slowly getting more and more slippery due to the rain was no easy task. But he got there in the end and the aquarium was delivered safely.

Then began the task of putting the stand together.
1675029419338.jpeg

1675029435951.jpeg

1675029456538.jpeg

It took a while to get everything else in and connected. But here is how it looks now..
1675029694546.jpeg

I am not an artistic person, but the family says I did a good job for my first attempt.

1675029708348.jpeg

The cables are a rats nest that I plan on finding a way to clean up.

I picked up the Red Sea reef mature starter kit on a whim and have been following this to cycle the tank I am currently on day 7.

I really like the Hydros Controller and Wave Engine, although there are a few thing I wish it could do.

The RS ReefMat seems to be doing it thing.
The RSK 300 Skimmer on the other hand I have been trying to get setup correctly. I think at present, probably due to the ReefMat, it does not have much to skim. Therefore it at the moment it is only adding micro-bubble to the display and nothing else.

On day 10 of the reef mature starter I am supposed to add the CUC, but as there is no algae yet I will probably wait until after I add the first fish.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good job! I also have a RS G2 300 XL my God this build is taking for ever for me. I have had it a few months now and still not even wet. ha

yeah nice job on the scape.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back