My first frag tank

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned in the Welcome section, I'm getting back into the hobby after a few decades off... and I have a lot of catching up to do. I've done reef tanks before but never a frag tank. I dunno, this thing might wind up being a hybrid between a frag tank and a display tank.

I cleared a space in the basement and painted it. I did it with a coral-ish color (which came out lighter than I expected) and now I think it's just too, uh... pink. So I may repaint it something more mannish. We'll see.

Other than that, I have been haunting my LFS and watching YouTube videos like crazy.

So here's what my new tank looks like at the moment. Now that I see how expensive everything is, I'm starting to wonder if that's enough. :thinking-face:

iu

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pile got smaller today. I ordered a 48" x 30" x 15" from Coast to Coast with low iron glass. That set me back $3600... without shipping. Yikes!

less cash 1.jpg
I hope that comes with a stand and sump!
Cant wait to see this build.
Also my 16" tall growout system is only 13.5" from bottom to the waters surface.
Here is my new 48x24x16 frag/ growout system.
And here is my 36x24x12 frag system which has alot of live rock in it.
Just keep adding sea notes to your pile and you will be there in no time.
20220501_093722.jpg

20220429_140548.jpg

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, no stand and no sump and no delivery. $3600 and it doesn't even come with a pallet or planks to move it on. Just... here ya go!

I'm enjoying your pics since that's kinda what mine will look like someday. I can't even imagine how long it's gonna take me to fill it with that much livestock.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, no stand and no sump and no delivery. $3600 and it doesn't even come with a pallet or planks to move it on. Just... here ya go!

I'm enjoying your pics since that's kinda what mine will look like someday. I can't even imagine how long it's onna take me to fill it with that much livestock.
Ouch! My 80g in the pic was $450
And the 45 was $325.
Most frags in my 45 came from my 120 when I broke it down to put the 80g in its place.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! My 80g in the pic was $450
And the 45 was $325.
Most frags in my 45 came from my 120 when I broke it down to put the 80g in its place.

I'm thinking of ways that I can make this as much a display tank of sorts as a frag tank. With that in mind, I'm half tempted to ask him how much it'd be to raise it from 15" to 18". But the price is absurd already, I'm almost afraid to ask.

Or maybe do as you have, make this my display tank and just get a Zoomed Low Boy tank for frags.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of ways that I can make this as much a display tank of sorts as a frag tank. With that in mind, I'm half tempted to ask him how much it'd be to raise it from 15" to 18". But the price is absurd already, I'm almost afraid to ask.
From 30 years of past experience chose one or the other.
I have always had display systems and am moving to growout tanks that are easy to work in.
This is my only display system left a 20g nano cube.
Following your build!
20220429_153101.jpg

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 30 years of past experience chose one or the other.
Let me pick your brain about it then, because I'm sitting here wondering if it's possible to create something that's a combination frag / display. Something with egg crate at the center with some low rock structures encircling it and maybe one or two small rocks on the crate to give it some dimension. I guess I would consider it a frag tank with a little flair.

Ill advised? Too difficult to work with?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating this tank being used as a display tank of sorts (maybe... someday :thinking-face:) I contacted Coast to Coast and asked what the price difference would be if I bumped it up to 18" height. Patrick told me it would be an additional $550, but he'd have to contact his glass supplier right away to change the order. (Apparently he gets the glass cut to order from the vendor).

I told him to hang back, I'd need a day to think about it.

But he checked with the vendor anyway and called me back. Apparently the vendor had an order cancel and he could get the tank at 17" at no additional cost to me.

That boosted my trust in Coast to Coast. He could easily have hit me for another $400 or so but he didn't. So, three cheers for Patrick at Coast to Coast!

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see that tank! Awesome on the size upgrade as well :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Using any rock and sand in this bad boy?!
I'm thinking of going with a minimal sand bottom and Caribsea Life Rock, I like their "table" and "tree" model. The idea is to fill the center area with flat-ish platforms and provide some areas below for sponge to take hold.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temporarily mounted and hung the RODI system two weeks ago, I'll be trying it out for the first time this weekend (hopefully tonight).

Having a few guys come by soon to give me quotes on running electrical and water over to the tank area here in the basement.

RODI initial setup.jpg

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a thousand bucks yesterday on rocks.

Rocks. :expressionless-face:

I am sure I bought more than I need -- but without having them here to play with, I wasn't sure.

But I did find a product from CaribSea I hadn't come across before called Flatz. This will take the place of egg crate in the central area of the tank. In fact, I may even use egg crate as their stand to lift them 6" off the bottom. I won't be stacking them as in the pics.

I may drill a few holes for water flow. Scatter a few small pebbles for some texture.

1652403163018.png

1652403313174.png

Also purchased 2 Liferock Trees, a Liferock Table and a Liferock Base with holes to accommodate the purple 'reef rod' which is used to hold the rock elements together.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back