My first impression of Hybrid MH/T5

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello everyone ,
1 monty ago I switched my lighting, from giessmann Aurora V8 to Hybrid MH/T5.
That is the best decision that I made !
I installed 2 bulbs of 400w + 6 T5 bulbs.
The par is excellent ,spread is amazing and the shimmer....is insane !
My tank will be SPS dominate tank , its 2.5 months old .
yesterday I added some SPS "starter's" frags , right now they seems to be very happy .
I'm in reefing hobby for the last 15 years , tried almost all lighting fixture in the market , and the MH/t5 is the best so far !

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only everyone that decided to change would come here to testify without any fear, like you!!
Thank you very much for actually opening a thread to express your experience!
This hobby will be much better if a lot of people would do just do what you did!!!
Yes, MH/T5 is the very best we can offer to our reefs!
Your corals will love you forever!!
Sun in the house!!
Post more pictures of the corals now... you will see as those frags start to grow and colors start to come out!! Haha!! It will be amazing!!!

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only everyone that decided to change would come here to testify without any fear, like you!!
Thank you very much for actually opening a thread to express your experience!
This hobby will be much better if a lot of people would do just do what you did!!!
Yes, MH/T5 is the very best we can offer to our reefs!
Your corals will love you forever!!
Sun in the house!!
Post more pictures of the corals now... you will see as those frags start to grow and colors start to come out!! Haha!! It will be amazing!!!
you are so right !
I had a lot of doubts about MH ....but since I installed them ,all of my fears are gone !
I will update about electricity bills (right now it is the same like hybrid LED/T5) , the heat is handled with 2 strong and quiet fans ...
the progress of the frags will be the proof for my thoughts.
Also - my tank is only 2.5 months , sps frags is not spoest to thrive in such young tank.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are so right !
I had a lot of doubts about MH ....but since I installed them ,all of my fears are gone !
I will update about electricity bills (right now it is the same like hybrid LED/T5) , the heat is handled with 2 strong and quiet fans ...
the progress of the frags will be the proof for my thoughts.
Also - my tank is only 2.5 months , sps frags is not spoest to thrive in such young tank.
I do not have any MH, but was running only LED bars and added 4 T5 and I hate myself for not having T5 over my tank from the first day I put coral in it

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced with few led's and T5 fixture....the better results was with t5 as main source of light and leds as supplements

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced with few led's and T5 fixture....the better results was with t5 as main source of light and leds as supplements
how many t5 you think would provide 'main' if I'm runnin 3 or3 48" bars, two in front one behind fixture.

If I were to start over I would have just bought an 8 light T5 fixture and called it a day but I already spent the $$ on the LED's so I'll be danged if I don't use them lol

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many t5 you think would provide 'main' if I'm runnin 3 or3 48" bars, two in front one behind fixture.

If I were to start over I would have just bought an 8 light T5 fixture and called it a day but I already spent the $$ on the LED's so I'll be danged if I don't use them lol
At my current system, I have started with giesmann aurora , its 8 T5 + 4 leds clusters .
The gaps between the Aurora t5 hybrid , to the MH t5 hybrid is simply unbelievable ,at all parameters.
in your case , I would install 2 MH bulb , 250w with 4 t5 bulbs.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do not get caught in the "confirmation bias"!!!! Life is short. It is always better to sell the LEDs for less now and get the right deal then waste time of your life dealing with confirmation bias!!!
If you decide to go with T5 only cover the entire surface are of your tank with them! Or get a halide/T5 system.

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also , the cost of MH ballast, bulb and reflector is much cheaper then LED's.
in fact, the new MH/t5 system cost me 75% cheaper from T5 hybrid.
the only thing I regret , is that I didn't installed MH/t5 since day 1.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone ,
1 monty ago I switched my lighting, from giessmann Aurora V8 to Hybrid MH/T5.
That is the best decision that I made !
I installed 2 bulbs of 400w + 6 T5 bulbs.
The par is excellent ,spread is amazing and the shimmer....is insane !
My tank will be SPS dominate tank , its 2.5 months old .
yesterday I added some SPS "starter's" frags , right now they seems to be very happy .
I'm in reefing hobby for the last 15 years , tried almost all lighting fixture in the market , and the MH/t5 is the best so far !
This needs clarifying.. Geisseman led pucks are 85 Watts on full.
Example:

AURORA HYBRID 4 x 80 Watt + 4 x 85 W LED - 1500 mm​

You replaced 4 @ 85W with 2 mh's at 400 watts...
I'd guess you didn't run the pucks 100% either.
That's 340w vs 800 watts.............
Tube count the same?

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This needs clarifying.. Geisseman led pucks are 85 Watts on full.
Example:

You replaced 4 @ 85W with 2 mh's at 400 watts...
I'd guess you didn't run the pucks 100% either.
That's 340w vs 800 watts.............
Tube count the same?
I have ran the Aurora at 100% all the channels including T5's .got barely 300 par on the top of the rocks.

With ATI power modul hybrid ,it's 600 par.

with MH its 550 to 600 , but the light is a lot brighter, the MH slice through the water like knife through butter...the lumen measurement is a lot higher with Halides.
Also,all of the "UV" channels at the led fixtures....looks funny compared 400w MH bulb real UV radiation.

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where do you even get Metal Halide fixtures/bulbs anymore?
At the beginning when I look for MH products , It wasn't easy task.
But eventually I have found some good and pro shops that sales all type of MH equipment, including bulbs.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran the Aurora at 100% all the channels including T5's .got barely 300 par on the top of the rocks.

With ATI power modul hybrid ,it's 600 par.

with MH its 550 to 600 , but the light is a lot brighter, the MH slice through the water like knife through butter...the lumen measurement is a lot higher with Halides.
Also,all of the "UV" channels at the led fixtures....looks funny compared 400w MH bulb real UV radiation.
Thanks for the info.
The ATI T5 (4, 6, or 8 bulb)/ led(75w each) hybrid and Giessman are practically identical in design. The par difference is err unusual.
Aurora 60" 4 tube par, 100%.

Sorry thought the Geisseman numbers were too low but this confirms it, at least w 4 t5's/ leds

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The qualities/ results of metal halide/T5 are unique and those who aim such results will use them. Period!
People come with the non sense of saving here and there... In reality no one will ever save to get that "trillion dollah" frag, but want to save a bulb or two, or even 6 bulbs... LOL! What a joke! This hobby is expensive...
Get a halide system and you will only need to change bulbs. The fixture and ballast will last your life time! You will have superior results than anyone with LEDs with less effort IMHO!
Unique QUALITIES for a unique RESULT!
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The qualities/ results of metal halide/T5 are unique and those who aim such results will use them. Period!
People come with the non sense of saving here and there... In reality no one will ever save to get that "trillion dollah" frag, but want to save a bulb or two, or even 6 bulbs... LOL! What a joke! This hobby is expensive...
Get a halide system and you will only need to change bulbs. The fixture and ballast will last your life time! You will have superior results than anyone with LEDs with less effort IMHO!
Unique QUALITIES for a unique RESULT!
Enjoy!
That is so true....I wish I knew that few years ago. I spend thousands of dollars on fancy lighting fixture....while all this years the good race horse (MH) was right next to me and i didn't notice him.

NO MORE MONEY TO THE TOILET on ridiculous fancy led's fixture, that need to be upgraded every year.
Since halide technology was launched (i think 20 to 30 years ago) i haven't seen even one time (!!!) that the bulbs starcture, shape and material was changed or upgraded...because it is working great , and don't need to be upgraded !!

Last edited by a moderator:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so true....I wish I knew that few years ago. I spend thousands of dollars on fancy lighting fixture....while all this years the good race horse (MH) was right next to me and i didn't notice him.

NO MORE MONEY TO THE TOILET on ridiculous fancy led's fixture, that need to be upgraded every year.
Since halide technology was launched (i think 20 to 30 years ago) i haven't seen even one time (!!!) that the bulbs structure, shape and material was changed or upgraded...because it is working great , and don't need to be upgraded !!
Do you know how MANY different mh bukbs have come and gone??

How many different reflectors are history?

Every spectrum is a change .

How many ballasts no longer exist?
1990’s

Another major advance in marine aquarium lighting is the electronic ballast. Instead of using conventional heavy transformers that generate a lot of heat, electronic ballasts use circuitry to produce the right voltage and frequency to the light source. The advantages of these new ballasts were increased light output, less heat, and in some cases dim-able operation could be achieved to simulate a sunrise and sunset effect. Once costing $500 or more, electronic ballasts continue drop in cost as they become mainstream and eventually replace the less efficient conventional ballasts that leak tar all over.
:)

Now how about the new ceramic metal halides..

BTW nobody " needs" to upgrade every year.

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how MANY different mh bukbs have come and gone??

How many different reflectors are history?

Every spectrum is a change .

How many ballasts no longer exist?

:)

Now how about the new ceramic metal halides..

BTW nobody " needs" to upgrade every year.
I searched the web for MH equipment...and guess what - i found exactly what I needed.
my bulbs is 14k , but I can order today 5,500k to 20k...same with the ballasts- there is few brands that build very strong and gives me excellent results !
I don't believe all that naysayers that all day and all night keep telling me how MH is old and not good.
No more !
I have big order of bulbs ,and have extra ballasts , for emergency.
There is no problem at all with supplies for my MH fixture.

Back