My first impression of Hybrid MH/T5

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics and similar vendors all run MH on the SPS grow out thanks and honestly, I can't keep up with the growth on some of my SPS, in particular Montipora. I end up having to throw bit in the trash every few weeks, or donate to the LFS (not keen on selling coral as a side hustle). I go away for 2 weeks and come back having to prune.

I think it's a matter of selecting the right supplementary lighting for you reef to have "your look". I'm using Reefbrite, it works, but I prefer T5, or old school VHO (but not going to happen)

Years ago I had a 75G with x2 150W 10k MH, and PC Actinic bulbs (coralife fixture). Super easy to maintain and the looks and growth was amazing. I wish I would have kept the fixture.

The hardest thing I've found is acclimating some SPS frags to MH as they've been grown under LED (generally)... takes some times to get the frags comfy, then they get blasted with light and are A+
@TopShelfAquatics uses metal halides? I always see Radions or other LED’s fixtures over their tanks in the shop.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TopShelfAquatics uses metal halides? I always see Radions or other LED’s fixtures over their tanks in the shop.
DISPLAY vs growth.. 2 totally different things in commercial applications.
That's the catch as I see it.
Going by the odds of where their "product" will end up.
Commercial farming has a completely (well very ) different set of "rules" that they go by.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DISPLAY vs growth.. 2 totally different things in commercial applications.
That's the catch as I see it.
Going by the odds of where their "product" will end up.
Commercial farming has a completely (well very ) different set of "rules" that they go by.
I don’t recall articles or videos of their farms showing metal halides, so that’s why I was surprised to see the claim that Top Shelf uses MH to grow coral ‘behind the scenes’ and not display it anywhere. Why hide that?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall articles or videos of their farms showing metal halides, so that’s why I was surprised to see the claim that Top Shelf uses MH to grow coral ‘behind the scenes’ and not display it anywhere. Why hide that?
Good question..
Well they did actually..

Last edited:

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is a flash back… this is like when I ran straight T5s back in the day when the MH gang pretty much said the same thing. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MH, T5, and LEDs….. ALL are proven.

The one thing I do notice is LEDs are far less “standard”, with so many options and designs, it is hard to compare apples/apples. And they are still changing rapidly. Someones budget setup will be nothing like a proper setup of G5s.

With MH and T5s, the setups and bulb choices are pretty easy/safe. I think it is much easier to mess up LEDs and have poor coverage, poor setting choices, or just bad units, period.

Last edited:

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah you know the old supplemental halides trick :grinning-squinting-face: Why not just burn 20A of MH for 6 hours to support the true work horses?

Regardless of the lighting all the tanks looks phenomenal but that statement just cracked me up!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good question..
Well they did actually..

Thanks! So to put @Turd Ferguson (love that handle name by the way) quote in context

“Top Shelf Aquatics and similar vendors all run MH on the SPS grow out thanks..”

Yes, they are using MH to supplement the primary lighting of LED’s Radion G4’s. The quote is misleading is all I was getting at.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So to put @Turd Ferguson (love that handle name by the way) quote in context

“Top Shelf Aquatics and similar vendors all run MH on the SPS grow out thanks..”

Yes, they are using MH to supplement the primary lighting of LED’s Radion G4’s. The quote is misleading is all I was getting at.
Ahhh understood. From the vid and assuming the LEDs are driven @ 100% they are pumping, at times, 2000 watts of photons. 800 of which are from the LEDs.
Considering a lot of pigments are formed as photo protection color is not surprising.
Running the LEDs at 100% is a big assumption though. They are run longer though.
Anyways it is never just lights afaict .
Reef Hobbyists have been trained all their lives to wage war on nutrients and to keep nitrates as low as possible but the fleshy polyps and vibrant colors of TSA’s SPS corals, especially Acropora and Montipora, is undeniable. Despite our best efforts to actually feed our own fish and corals to boost nutrients in our own tanks, we’ve also resorted to actually dosing nitrates and the increased health and growth of our corals has really opened our eyes to the benefits of measurable NO3.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot take: the use of real live rock will positively impact coral growth early on far more than lighting tech choice.

Water quality is more important.

Also…..the infomercial comment. Spot on. Be cautious of any cloyingly sweet review of something someone has had their hands on for only a few minutes.
I totally agree with this.

While I do run metal halides, and think there are special qualities about them, live rock is much more important in my opinion to a healthy system. Starting with live rock will save you many headaches early on and it is so often overlooked these days.

I do believe it’s the main reason people have so much trouble with Dino’s, GHA, coral health these days in their dry rock systems.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But this forum isn't about live rock... it's about the lights.
If everything else will be discussed, then we will need to bring the whole package here...
And this thread is about the first impression of the use of MH/T5.
Best light ever to many coral farmers and famous authors is metal halide.
IMHO MH/T5 is the best for the results I look for.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have to say is that the results I get from metal halides, and specially with the T5s, are not the same under any LEDs, and I prefer those results, no matter what chemistry is applied, no matter what organisms are kept, no matter what products one uses. Seen so many different tanks under LEDs, not what I look for, and some people in this thread tend to prefer what I prefer. I'm totally fine whith those who like the results from LEDs. They are just different lights and e used yo keep corals. The results aren't the same, but like I've said many times... any light will allow you to keep corals when applied correctly. It's just under halides they grow profusely and very healthy!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have to say is that the results I get from metal halides, and specially with the T5s, are not the same under any LEDs
Which leds did you use? How long? What intensity? What "color"?

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Contrary to what the interviewee states - I would argue that Primary lights are the Metal Halides, and tha LEDs are secondary, supplement lighting, allow for a longer light cycle at lower intensities, adjustable to help mimic natural reef settings (as much as one can do.) The MH provides the boost, replicating midday in the reef.

My 40G - I've a 250W 14k MH running for only 5 hours, the rest of the 11hr light cycle is Reefbrite LED strips.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1664555464027.png

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,some updates :
i added few frags of SPS.
they feel excellent !
Also I installed 2 OR3 led bars for sunrise/sunset and extra "pop" (Orphek)
And finished the control cabinet !
happy reefing everyone !
20221015_171031.jpg
20221015_171031.jpg

20221015_183530.jpg
20221015_183545.jpg
20221015_183610.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back