OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent most of the day filling the tank and I think I overfilled it a bit, as the water is slightly above the inlet pipe and it is a bit noisy. More noise is made by the return pump though, but the manual does mention that it should settle in and become silent. Or maybe one of the rubber legs is wobbly - I'll check tomorrow.

Also installed the Radion G5 XR15 lights - the Mobius app took a few tries to connect to both, but finally, I think, they're both up and running. I'll see if they're on tomorrow morning.

Waiting for it to heat up overnight (it's at around 20 degrees celcius at the moment), so that I could do final adjustments to salinity and then start breeding some bacteria :)

20200402_155630.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update (no photos yet, as the dry cabinet is a bit of a mess) - day 6 into the fishless cycle, probably a week till I get first residents into the tank.

The 2 MP40s have been acting up since I got them installed yesterday night, so took them back to my LFS and they're being investigated with Ecotech, as something is definitely amiss (and both too!). Apart from that, everything is looking on par and I'm eagerly awaiting the moment the cycle is done - trying to be patient... :)

Oh yes, need to raise the skimmer about an inch, so will go look into some hardware tomorrow.

So far, I like the quality of the tank and the stand - getting used to having a sump and trying not to adjust too many things at once.

Will post again soon with some photos!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed reading your journey of setting up your aquarium. I’m looking forward to seeing the journey forward and feeling your excitement. Take it slow and steady. Always ups and downs along the way. Hopefully more ups.

Rangachick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your journey. You are clearly someone who values a good project and look to be doing an amazing job! We are fairly new to the hobby (and also live in Oz) so would love to follow along with your build progress and the welcoming of new inhabitants :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your journey. You are clearly someone who values a good project and look to be doing an amazing job! We are fairly new to the hobby (and also live in Oz) so would love to follow along with your build progress and the welcoming of new inhabitants :)

No pressure @dvlpr ! ;)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed reading your journey of setting up your aquarium. I’m looking forward to seeing the journey forward and feeling your excitement. Take it slow and steady. Always ups and downs along the way. Hopefully more ups.
Thank you! Yes, the FW tank has taught me patience... or at least I thought it did :) There are some things here that are pushing that to the limit, e.g. adjusting the water level in the weir using the super-tight RS knob (which tends to jump 3-5mm each turn, instead of a finer adjustment). I can spend hours sitting there and turning it left and right :) and then I remember I have work to do...

Thank you! If you're in Melbourne area, I can recommend an excellent LFS ;) Working out some final bits for the dry cabinet, so will post back with photos once I'm done (I'm mostly going Bunnings way, so nothing fancy). Or maybe some time before that for progress-sake...

No pressure @dvlpr ! ;)
Lol :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I spent a bit of time at a local hardware store (Bunnings for Aussies) and couldn't quite find anything that I would see working as a solid way of lifting up the skimmer a couple of centimeters. So, I got back home and ordered a couple of egg crates on eBay, but the problem is that they'll be here in a few days (up to a week?), but I want that skimmer lifted now...

So, the temporary solution was to grab some of my daughter's Lego bits and then put on my creative hat :) The result is below - with good flow throughout too (no solid walls)!

20200409_131125.jpg

... and the skimmer is now in 21cm of water, as the manual asks.

20200409_131343.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... the tank is still cycling, but in the meantime I realized that I made a planning mistake in the sump. Initially I placed the ATO container on the left, giving me free access to the return pump, but in hindsight this was a silly thing to do and I lost 1/3 of open sump space because of that. My dry cabinet is getting full (and I don't want to overcrowd it anyway) and this left me with no space to put the doser and its bottles (whenever I get around to getting one that is, but planning ahead!).

Moving the ATO to the right...
20200414_150013.jpg

...opens up plenty of space to put in a couple of shelves for a doser and its bottles and also there's more space in the sump to put in a reactor if I need one (I probably won't).

20200414_150029.jpg

Lesson learnt - even if you don't have all the equipment bought upfront, think ahead and write your plans down (and then don't forget to read them when starting to play around with the tank).

Oh well, back to waiting for the cycle to finish and trying to encourage the nitrifying bacteria to grow quicker :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went down to the LFS today to confirm my water testing results - as expected, he got a different result using his own API kit (I also have API) and then we tested using a digital tester he has (I forgot the name) and got a third result, which is pretty much in the middle. We're trusting that one :) The cycle is still going.

The 2 MP40s have been acting up since I got them installed yesterday night, so took them back to my LFS and they're being investigated with Ecotech, as something is definitely amiss (and both too!).

When I just came into his shop, he said he was about to call me, as he received 2 new MP40s for me from the distributor. He didn't get any explanation on what was wrong with mine, but they simply replaced them (he sent my and his own videos of them misbehaving to the USA office). Oh well, I guess I got "lucky" in getting 2 faulty units in one go. Thankfully all is well, service worked out well and the new MP40s are not misbehaving so far :) They are *very* powerful. I have them at about 40% and they're still shifting sand a bit. Probably will move them once the tank is cycled and I can properly evaluate where they should go. At the moment they're both on the back wall (and ideally I'd like to keep it that way). No idea yet on best placement...

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, photos :) Since almost all the equipment is now in (the only thing missing is a doser, which will live in the sump area), I can start planning on sorting out this mess...

20200415_161232.jpg

Yes, the shelf slides out (got it at Bunnings, for Aussies):

20200415_161308.jpg

Typical control placement on the door :)

20200415_161334.jpg

My thoughts are to buy a plastic box (like this one: https://www.amazon.com.au/Cables-Black-Cable-Management-Organiser/dp/B07BQMHP2S) and attach it to the back wall below the powerboard and then hide all powerbricks in there. I can then organize the wires to run on the right wall and maybe add another small shelf there for something. The other option is to buy two such boxes, put them on the right wall and then run everything through them. Probably will grab one first and then judge what works best.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things have happened since the last post...

First, my sump pump was driving me nuts with its humming noise (I was running a Tunze Silence 1073.060), so my LFS owner was kind enough to swap it over for a 1073.050, which is smaller and is also DC operated. So far it's a bit quieter and I hope it becomes even quieter after the break-in period. Full thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anyone-running-tunze-silence-1073-06.711178/

Second, the evaporation on my tank is at around 6 liters per day and the ATO tank is just under 21 liters, thus lasting 3 days. It's not an issue while most of us are home nowadays, but thinking ahead (e.g. business trips that I usually have are typically 7 days and we do get holidays from time to time too :) ). So, while waiting for the cycle to finish, I thought I might as well install something that would allow me more freedom.

The system I chose is a Tunze Osmolator 3155. The specs say that the water delivery height is limited, but I still extended the hose by about a meter and increased dosage power by a little bit and it works delivering water to about 3 meters high from under the house into the ATO tank.

Now, it looks quite crude - I'm not really a DIY guy :) But I just did an initial run and it works!

That's a 100 liter mini tank being filled in from the hose. I built a small wooden cage around it, so that it's not easily knocked off the bricks that it sits on. The 100 liters should theoretically last me a couple of weeks, but I'll check up on it more often of course.

20200422_154429-sm.jpg

Sensors on the right, hose on the left.

20200422_155506-sm.jpg

After the first run - "level" :)

20200422_161028-sm.jpg

Of course adding yet another device made the dry cabinet's mess even worse, but I still have a couple of pieces I need to add (doser and a fuge light), so no point organizing wires now. Will get to it once everything is in place and ticking along.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update - the ATO from under the house has been working well so far, but with the days here in Melbourne getting cooler and cooler, I've started to notice that the overall tank temperature has started to drop - it was at just 20 degrees celsius in the morning and goes up to only 23 during the day.

This also has a side effect of slowing down the cycle (or at least that's what I assume from reading here and there).

I couldn't put two and two together for a few days, but today it clicked as I put my hand into the ATO reservoir - the water was really cold in there and of course it was feeding into the sump and the heater there was struggling to keep up.

Thankfully I had an old heater (just a small one - 25W) from my daughter's Betta tank lying around and I've dialed it up to 28 degrees and placed into the ATO tank. This way, water coming up from the larger tank will get heated up first, then dripped into the sump, reducing the load on the main heater and hopefully bringing the overall temperature up and let me finally finish this cycle (day 27 now).

20200428_165423.jpg

... fingers crossed! :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 300W heater today (replacing the 200W I had in the sump) and already raised the temperature by about 1.5 degrees to 25.5 (with the aim of being between 26-28). Hopefully this speeds up the cycle.

In the mean time, I realized I really don't like my dry cabinet layout and need to re-think it. Unfortunately some of the cool items are not available down here in Australia (such as DJ power boards, marine cabinet panels, etc...), so I'll need to make do with what I find. Which means more updates and photos as I go along soon :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay - free ammonia read at 0, so first inhabitants can go in! Day 30 of the cycle.

So, what do we have...

3 Cerith snails:
20200501_121203.jpg

5 Nassarius snails:
20200501_121829.jpg

... waiting for food to drop close by - lazy! :)
20200501_130642.jpg

1 Catalaphyllia:
20200501_133441.jpg

... opened up after about an hour:
20200501_142932.jpg

... and 2 Black Perculas (babies):
20200501_151256.jpg

20200501_151445.jpg

A FTS:
20200501_165825.jpg

... and a scotch to celebrate :)

Now need to learn how to take proper photos. All colors are off (too blue).

It's been a long journey to get to this point, but so worth it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice additions. :)
Thank you! I was also going to get a blenny, but the LFS owner they tend to jump, so I'd be better getting a lid first. I'll probably get one anyway, because a lid is still very far away...

Your tank is looking fantastic!
Thank you! Should hit the ugly stage soon though :)

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you were looking for outlet options like a DJ power bar.

I used the Kasa WiFi power strip and love it because I can turn things on and off with my phone. And when I turn my return pumps and power heads off for feeding coral can set everything to turn back on with a timer (prevents me from forgetting to turn back on).

I don’t think the larger 5 plug is available over there, but I see the 3 outlet one on Amazon.AU

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back