My First Plumbing! need Helps, Tips, and Ideas( please see the pictures)

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My First Plumbing! need Helps, Tips, and Ideas( please see the pictures)

Hi guys

hope everyone doing well these days.

I'm gonna start with the story about my stand first.

I visited my local fish shop to buy some snails and end up buying that stand ( I'm sure you all have those moments) cause I really liked how modern and shiny was it. came back home, assemble it the next day and after a couple of houres found I did a huge mistake!

that stand designed for freshwater with canister firster due the divided 4 fit stands to 2x23 inches and it was almost impossible fits any sump for 75-gallon tank on it.

unfortunately, I already set up the stand, so no chance to return it so I stuck with that wrong decision and was feeling like an idiot!

I start to searching online for sumps and finally find a sump i can fit it there.

i got Fiji cube 20 and manufacture recommended for any tank between 60 to 100 gallons.

that sump costs me 500 Canadian dollars after shipping and import taxes!

i got my 75-gallon tank, pain it in a way that i like ( white frame and black background) and put it on top of my stand. bingo! looks good. it looks like read sea white setup that i really like it but can't afford to get one.fr

I was feeling a little bit better and decide to move my sump inside the cabinet and boom! faced to the new problem!

the sump was wider than the cabinet door! i was like u gonna be kidding me!

the sump is 20 inches wide and i got 23 inches but the cabinet door is only 17 or 18 inches!

i moved the tank, opened the stand top, and move the sump inside them and screw the top again.

( please wish me luck nothing happen to the sump in future cause cant move it out)

ok its plumbing time

as you see i have very limited space in my cabinet. decide to hire a guy to do plumbing for me due i never done that before but he canceled on me the last min and left me with a bunch of plumbing part. i couldn't get anyone to get that job for me due to coronavirus stuff so I decided to do it myself.

i tried to do best i can and following you can see what I've done. ( please ignore so many holes at the back of the stand. i didn't have any tool to cut it and everywhere was close so i drilled big holes to make it work)

i didn't glue it yet and just wanna make sure if i didn't do any mistake then glue it.

I'm just wondering, can you please let me know if i missed anything or anything i need to change or remove?

I was thinking to add a ball valve on the back of the tank for return pump but didn't cause not sure if it is necessary

I really appreciate any tips or idea can help me to get this job finally done cause it put too much pressure on me during the past few days.

thanks again and stay safe!

20200424_022549.jpg 20200424_022341.jpg 20200424_022415 copy.jpg 20200424_022504.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks good to me.
The only thing I dont like is the ball valve on the middle drain line.
The cheap ones tend to fail when you need to use them.
I would replace it with a better one.

OP
OP
Crystal.Clear

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks good to me.
The only thing I dont like is the ball valve on the middle drain line.
The cheap ones tend to fail when you need to use them.
I would replace it with a better one.
Thanks
that's for second drain, not the main one but I can definitely replace it before I glue it if that necessarily. just not sure if I can fit any union there.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchase a schedule 80 TRUE UNION ball valve.
Problem solved.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a check valve, and if you use a DC controlled pump for flow control I dont think you do.
But better to have and not need than to need and not have.
If I were to put valves on the return I would install two.
One just before each tank entry point.
That way you could have different flow left and right.
Just give you more options down the road.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess for pump maintenance yes I would put one in right above the check.
Check valves can fail and you dont want the return to become a syphon and flood your sump to the point of overflowin it.

OP
OP
Crystal.Clear

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got DC pump. but i wanna make sure i do max security i can due i live in condo and saving few box now might cost me a lot more in future.
might go with 2 ball-valve on left and right just in case.
also as you see i dont have space to add any ball valve inside to cabinet. have to add it on back of tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back