My first "real" aquascape in 17 years!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on setting up my IM 30L. Today I finally got around to doing the aquascape. I've been dreading it. Aquascaping has always been my least favorite part of setting up a tank.

The last real scape I did was a 75g FOWLR tank I setup about 17 years ago. Like most other things, it seems like aquascaping has come a long way in the 12 years I've been tankless.

I decided to give the sand and (thin) superglue thing a shot so, armed with a hammer, chisel and 35# of Marco rock, I gave it a whirl.

This is how I ended the afternoon...

20210117_203704.jpg 20210117_203837.jpg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on setting up my IM 30L. Today I finally got around to doing the aquascape. I've been dreading it. Aquascaping has always been my least favorite part of setting up a tank.

The last real scape I did was a 75g FOWLR tank I setup about 17 years ago. Like most other things, it seems like aquascaping has come a long way in the 12 years I've been tankless.

I decided to give the sand and (thin) superglue thing a shot so, armed with a hammer, chisel and 35# of Marco rock, I gave it a whirl.

This is how I ended the afternoon...

20210117_203704.jpg 20210117_203837.jpg
Looks really nice!!!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say I’m a big fan of scapes like this. To me, I t’s so unnatural that it ruins the fantasy, it robs you (or at least me) of your (my) suspension of disbelief. There are a lot of important and useful concepts and methods to create dynamic, pragmatic, and believable aquascapes, things like avoiding symmetry, the rule of thirds, the golden ratio (Fibonacci sequence/spiral), proportion, depth, having focal points, and a flow or eyeline (you don’t have to employ all of these, but there are basic concepts for creating aquascapes), but you can sometimes go too far, and it becomes too dynamic, too sculpted, too clearly man-made. For me, the whole point is to create, within a small footprint, an aesthically pleasing, visually dynamic, but natural looking slice of a reef. If the scape is too unnatural or too dynamic, you lose immersion, its uncanny valley territory where its almost unnerving because its almost supernatural or too clearly a creation and lacks the random chaos of nature.

So, for me, this is not a scape that I would want in my tank. That said, that’s just my personal taste, I’m not saying that what I value aesthetically is the only acceptable or valid way to do things. I can appreciate the intention and the artistry that went into this scape (and scapes like it), but it’s just not my taste.

pureconcept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks clearly manmade and unnatural but i disagree about maxtremors appraisal. Like most manmade things it has purpose and intent behind it. It allows room for corals to grow, places to mount coral, plenty of places for the fish to swim around and feel hidden and partially blocked but still be visable for people to enjoy.
I wanted to try this style but im new to this hobby and i was intimidated,my child said she didnt like the look in photos, and rocks are expensive and i was too afraid of smashing them all and commit to thw style. Theres no going back without buying new rocks. That said i give yoi credit for going for it and i think it came out well.
I ended up making my aquascape on my tank look unnatural without breakong my rocks but i get mixed reviews on the style.

Attachments

• 20210419_165556.jpg
    20210419_165556.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 105

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it.

While scapes like this might look unnatural when set up, once corals grow out you see less of the negative space, however the flow is still in between and fish really have space to swim in between. I personally feel there is alot of benefit of having negative space long term..

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the scape looks great. I believe that taking the time to think out and plan your tank is a solid thing to do. Some people are happy just dumping rocks in their tank however they shall fall, ‘cus hey that’s “natural” right? At the end of the day it’s your tank, your money, your time, and your escape and entertainment.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose here is to have a great looking tank. Not necessarily to mimic a true reef. Tbis one looks more like art. I love the ridged and negative space. Something I wish I could think of.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back