My first reef- 5 gallon marine land tank

ImpendingSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long but I wanna share my progress as a first timer in keeping a 5 gallon reef tank, also new to the whole build thread thing

This is so far about 1 month and 6 weeks of progress with 1st salt water tank. Nitrates are 5 or 10 or less not much as for ph is 8.0 and as for alk, calcium, mg, and I have not gotten the test kits because I am trying to save up money but I do about a water every week half way of tank and do only about 2.5 gallons of water.

I had a clown but jumped in the middle of the night and what sucks is that the lid only had an opening of a finger nail. But some how with no light he jumped at the right angle and boom dried up and died. Coral wise they are all good and open. The pic is about 2 weeks ago so not recent but it looks somewhat today except the the brown went away and have started to notice last Sunday green spots on the rocks so I think I'm going to get hit with green hair algae but I have snails and hermits so it should be good.

As for the new fish I got, I got the goby/shrimp pair. the goby is yellow watchman and yes I KNOW its bad to keep it in a 5 gallon or less but. For the most part I only see him sit and watch while the shrimp does all the work he does not move at all. Like nothing he only keeps on watching as the shrimp moves the sand everywhere which is cool but he already covered my zoa and mushroom which I had to stick my hand in and remove the sand but overall its really fun to watch them both do their thing. The goby size is actually really really tiny he is about as long as a air pod pro case so very very tiny.

I have notice white tiny tiny specks on the glass. I looked it up and it seems like its copepods which I have no idea how they got there in the first place. But I guess from what I seen/read is that they are good. But water has turn some what milky white which I have no idea why since my tank has been running a month or so but yea. Dry rock went from light brown to white and now I think I am getting hit with green hair algae. So whish me luck. but but here is my question.

Is it possible to put 1 cleaner shrimp in the tank. I have one fish and thats all I'm getting but would it be possible to keep a shrimp since its an invert??

Plz let me know and thank you for reading I will try to do my best with updates. Also the glass is just blurry because I'm lazy to clean the glass tank ( inside yes ) outside eh. but thank you for reading this far
IMG_2250[1].JPG

IMG_2250[1].JPG

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long but I wanna share my progress as a first timer in keeping a 5 gallon reef tank, also new to the whole build thread thing

This is so far about 1 month and 6 weeks of progress with 1st salt water tank. Nitrates are 5 or 10 or less not much as for ph is 8.0 and as for alk, calcium, mg, and I have not gotten the test kits because I am trying to save up money but I do about a water every week half way of tank and do only about 2.5 gallons of water.

I had a clown but jumped in the middle of the night and what sucks is that the lid only had an opening of a finger nail. But some how with no light he jumped at the right angle and boom dried up and died. Coral wise they are all good and open. The pic is about 2 weeks ago so not recent but it looks somewhat today except the the brown went away and have started to notice last Sunday green spots on the rocks so I think I'm going to get hit with green hair algae but I have snails and hermits so it should be good.

As for the new fish I got, I got the goby/shrimp pair. the goby is yellow watchman and yes I KNOW its bad to keep it in a 5 gallon or less but. For the most part I only see him sit and watch while the shrimp does all the work he does not move at all. Like nothing he only keeps on watching as the shrimp moves the sand everywhere which is cool but he already covered my zoa and mushroom which I had to stick my hand in and remove the sand but overall its really fun to watch them both do their thing. The goby size is actually really really tiny he is about as long as a air pod pro case so very very tiny.

I have notice white tiny tiny specks on the glass. I looked it up and it seems like its copepods which I have no idea how they got there in the first place. But I guess from what I seen/read is that they are good. But water has turn some what milky white which I have no idea why since my tank has been running a month or so but yea. Dry rock went from light brown to white and now I think I am getting hit with green hair algae. So whish me luck. but but here is my question.

Is it possible to put 1 cleaner shrimp in the tank. I have one fish and thats all I'm getting but would it be possible to keep a shrimp since its an invert??

Plz let me know and thank you for reading I will try to do my best with updates. Also the glass is just blurry because I'm lazy to clean the glass tank ( inside yes ) outside eh. but thank you for reading this far
IMG_2250[1].JPG

IMG_2250[1].JPG
Great looking tank!

OP
OP
I

ImpendingSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was from 2 weeks ago he looks the same. I do get worried if he died but every now and then I see him pop out which is nice here is pic. Sorry if pic is bad but that’s the best I could do. If I had gotten any closer he would just dip into his cave with the shrimp
A30B7A19-F19C-4E68-8F14-0BB9A1B5C0BB.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back