My first reef scape, feedback appreciated.

Kuzurí

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank, Red Sea Reefer 170 (43gal). I've had it setup and running for just over 6 months with Softies and LPS corals. I'd like any opinions on how I aquascaped it, perhaps ideas for improvement. Thanks in advance.

Here is a 360 video of the tank:

I'm considering moving the rock (circled in yellow circled)...
20200629_183220.jpg

... Maybe rotating 45° so it's the top arc, like so:
20200629_183142.jpg

Perhaps also breaking up the rock (circled in blue) and using it around the tank or just putting in the sump for now.
20200629_183201.jpg

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the front view. Hate the side view lol. What’s your plan for corals? The blue circled rock is pretty high up in the tank, leaving little room for coral growth.

I vote remove big blue, and take yellow across the top like you have it “drawn” in Pic 2.

OP
OP
Kuzurí

Kuzurí

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the front view. Hate the side view lol. What’s your plan for corals? The blue circled rock is pretty high up in the tank, leaving little room for coral growth.

I vote remove big blue, and take yellow across the top like you have it “drawn” in Pic 2.

Thank you for your feedback @Mfield16. Yes, I agree there is very little room at the top of the tank. I didn't think about it and noticed it when I was doing a water change that much of the rock was exposed, which would mean I can't put coral there easily and as you mentioned doesn't really offer much for vertical growth. I plan to keep softies and lps corals, but I'd like to eventually have all of the rock covered, most at least.

Regarding the side view... What is it that you don't like? Any recommendations?
The left side does have some rock piled up that I was going to remove (it's the smaller white rocks wedged in the corner). The reverse "L" shaped rock may need to stay, due to my firefish and watchman goby created a cave under it that they call home.

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't feel natural to me, personally. Maybe the open space is throwing me off. The fish will create a new den

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs more variance and negative space imo. It's tough with such large pieces compared to tank size though. Consider breaking up some big pieces into smaller ones.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks great! Much better with that space added underneath. Less like a pile of rocks and more like a deliberate scape. Nice work.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most recent setup is definitely the way to go. That's a beautiful Toadstool shaped Rock and you have it placed nicely.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could see what it looks like now.
never mind. for some reason the pic wasn't showing up when I viewed with my phone.

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I preferred the old version to the new. with the addition of a rock or two the pump could have been hidden.(always a priority with me)

the rock sticking out of the water during water changes is a non-issue. I have 3 BTA's and a mini blasto colony that are above water for 20-30 minutes with no ill effect.

the thought process that "it's too high with little room for growth" comes more in to play with SPS.
blasto's, acans, favia, zoas, mushrooms, polyps are all low growing so could be placed towards the top of your scape covering all of the rock.

just another opinion.

happy reefing.
:cool:

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your rock-scape. Removing that first piece in yellow would be good too thought. I like the negative space that would be left behind and the ease it would allow for you to clean in that area. You are going to have issues placing coral along that top but you may be able to add shelves along the face for better placement of certain types of coral.

OP
OP
Kuzurí

Kuzurí

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the piece resting on the overflow glued down? That would make me a little nervous.
Not yet, but it will be. I like to let things sit for about 2 weeks before I glue. It's actually wedged in pretty good, so it will hold great until I glue it down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back