My first reef tank! 32 biocube

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re able to return it I recommend a Red Sea or water box tank. Larger than 100g. I don’t recommend smaller tanks and or/nanos for new reefers. You have a very novice set up. I recommend looking into higher end equipment. That coral life skimmer doesn’t do anything. I would get a real salinity tester like a refractometer. I also recommend you try and obtain actual live rock that’s been sitting in an established tank for at least a year.
I think in the past the recommendation to go larger for people new to the hobby made sense, but the old adage that nano tanks are harder just isn’t true anymore. Biocubes are not the most advanced setup, I wouldn’t say it’s a beginner’s setup, it’s a simple setup, but they are a beginner, so… Plus, Biocubes are almost infinitely upgradable/modable. Biocubes are just about perfect for someone just starting out. You’re right that the coralife skimmer isn’t great, but if water changes are kept up, a protein skimmer isn’t necessary. I currently have a Nanocube, which is similar to a biocube, and I’ve had tanks of all sizes and have kept reef tanks for over 20 years, and I can tell you with certainty that the Biocube is a great, maybe even the best, choice for someone just starting out in the hobby. They’re easy to upgrade and easy to sell if you want to graduate to a larger tank. I guess I just don’t understand how it’s helpful to tell someone to return a tank they’ve already put water in and to buy a tank at least 4 times larger at over 4 times the cost. It’s elitist and unnecessary.

I do agree with you on the live rock though, at this point they’ve already got a tank full of rock, so I’d recommend adding a pound or two of quality live rock.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa whoa whoa slow down. You just set this up. Don’t go putting fish and coral in there just yet

I think in the past the recommendation to go larger for people new to the hobby made sense, but the old adage that nano tanks are harder just isn’t true anymore. Biocubes are not the most advanced setup, I wouldn’t say it’s a beginner’s setup, it’s a simple setup, but they are a beginner, so… Plus, Biocubes are almost infinitely upgradable/modable. Biocubes are just about perfect for someone just starting out. You’re right that the coralife skimmer isn’t great, but if water changes are kept up, a protein skimmer isn’t necessary. I currently have a Nanocube, which is similar to a biocube, and I’ve had tanks of all sizes and have kept reef tanks for over 20 years, and I can tell you with certainty that the Biocube is a great, maybe even the best, choice for someone just starting out in the hobby. They’re easy to upgrade and easy to sell if you want to graduate to a larger tank. I guess I just don’t understand how it’s helpful to tell someone to return a tank they’ve already put water in and to buy a tank at least 4 times larger at over 4 times the cost. It’s elitist and unnecessary.

I do agree with you on the live rock though, at this point they’ve already got a tank full of rock, so I’d recommend adding a pound or two of quality live rock.
Wow a logical person thank you so so so much very detailed and great awnser way better then mine lol

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the op I really do like what you have e done so far it looks fantastic stick with it and you will be amazed at how great this Hobbie can be there are alot of extremely helpful people on here read each awnser and make up your own mind have fun and can't wait to see how it goes

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly do want larger tank but wanted to get my feet wet an the biocube fit my budget and size constraint until the new house is built then I’ll be looking into a 180+ gallon with sump am much better equipment. I test water everyday, I’ve researched a ton an read atleast 3-4 hours a day on as many topics I can. I hope that keeps me going in the right direction with a few questions asked here an there

Thank y’all for the support an info!

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly do want larger tank but wanted to get my feet wet an the biocube fit my budget and size constraint until the new house is built then I’ll be looking into a 180+ gallon with sump am much better equipment. I test water everyday, I’ve researched a ton an read atleast 3-4 hours a day on as many topics I can. I hope that keeps me going in the right direction with a few questions asked here an there

Thank y’all for the support an info!
Welcome to the hobby, you’re doing great! What’s great about reef keeping is you’re always learning something new.

I love how you set up your nano and you already have plans for a big tank in the future!

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I’m starting the ugly stage! I believe this is little specs of diatoms starting to appear….
25A0791F-489D-46D3-B4F3-AF454B2A1F4D.jpeg

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the addiction! I have had my bio cube for almost 4 years and I absolutely love it. You have come to the right place for knowledge and help with anything you may need. I upgraded my pump to a Sicce Syncra 2.0 and added two random flow generators to spread out the return flow. I upgraded my lights to Steve’s LEDs and have not looked back!

096A16DA-3390-4B87-B4DA-BD9E148F1791.jpeg 9DA2D92F-3BBA-4D05-BF9E-9CE8EC5435D4.jpeg

Last edited:

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn't agree more!

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update….still seeing some spots pop up of diatoms (I’m still assuming). They don’t go away or move at night an I even ran with lights off for 2 days an no change. Plan on picking up some snails this week sometime as my lfs was closed this weekend. Only running small bag of chemipure elite an filter floss as of now.

Did first 5 gal water change Wednesday also. Might not have even needed it as phosphate or nitrates was not high (0-0.25phos based on api 5-10ppm nitraye

Started the skimmer up an it’s been a fight with tuning it in, it just fills the cup with water most the time, I’ve adjusted the height and the air bleed screw over an over. I know it’s pretty chintzy skimmer so I’m debating just ditching it an either going with the tunze 9001 (out of stock everywhere) or skimmer less and picking up the intake fuge basket an grow light with some chaeto.

Planing on ordering the Hannah nitrate an phosphate checkers if my lfs don’t have them in stock when I pick up some snails. I like the idea of more accurate testing.

Here is some pics as of today of the tank an it’s state.
B3172F32-8106-4BA0-94E1-703B02928064.jpeg
0F494A47-3F73-4334-9204-AA6C02338E51.jpeg
4B4764C1-F9FB-409A-948B-1B92C085CDC3.jpeg

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a semi local coral shop about 40 min away that was open today. Decided to go check it out and ended up with 6 snails and a small green tip hammer frag! Got them all acclimated an dipped an sent the snails to cleaning an the hammer frag only took about 30 min to start opening back up. And of course the pics! Don’t mind the micro bubbles….still fighting the skimmer adjustment
81D402EA-4551-43EB-80F1-2D726CCCE43D.jpeg
8E5612EA-AFF0-4667-90D5-AD92ADD4F976.jpeg

74B82F7E-FB59-4177-9ADE-5B2F279D5BA5.jpeg
3499BC35-F104-4AB6-A8CF-0514428A06B2.jpeg

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks starting to mature ! Those diatoms are sure signs . Cuc loves to gobble them up

Skimmers on these smaller tanks really don't have a big following , I planned to add one..then after reading tons of posts here chose the cheato basket. That worked really well, almost too well. If your planning to run GFO , be very mindful of your nutrient levels that can easily bottom out .
Keep up the water changes and enjoy the growth

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update.
Still in the ugly phase, the snails have cleaned the rock work up some an I did a water change as I gravel vac’d the bed, although doing that did cause a little nitrite spike. Panicked at first but changed another 5 gallons out an dropped it down to around 1ppm.
My Hanna ULR phosphate checker and HR nitrate checker should be in this evening. Calcium has stayed around 380 based on api test, looking at changing my salt mix to something with more mag, calc in it. Just used up the two little fishes mix I had previously purchased for setup an few water changes.
Been running the little v2 skimmer an finally got it somewhat broke in, still occasionally get pretty wet skimage with about half the cup being water but it is nasty looking water so I guess it’s doing some good.
The little hammer frag is looking healthy as well. Opening up nice, don’t looked bleached or anything. Currently he’s on frag plug in the sand bed in lower corner so not to get to high of flow or light. Gona give him few weeks down there an maybe move to a bottom rock.
219A1720-88A2-431F-96FB-EA07E541F649.jpeg

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping this updated.
Got the Hanna checkers in and of course had to try them out. Easy an simple steps makes it nice, just got to remember to set a timer an check before they shut off. I almost forgot them as I started making up some more RODI water. Snails made some headway on cleaning the rock work up but have mostly been hanging on the glass up by the top. Im assuming most the time they get active at night.
Fast forward to today I went to the lfs an picked up some Red Sea black bucket salt ( coral pro) and a nice Conch to add to the CUC. Got him home and let him float awhile for temp acclimation, while he floated I moved the little hammer frag up on the rock work so he didn’t bulldoze it, it closed up slightly but has opened up an colored up beautifully in the new spot so it most likely will reside there a few weeks an I’ll look at maybe getting it off the frag plug an attached.
Tank parameters have been pretty steady with no real wild swings other then the little bit of nitrite showing up after sand bed cleaning. Been keeping up with them on aquatic log app.
Looking at getting a few more Hanna checkers. Maybe alk next as I feel it’s one of the more important ones to be accurate with. Any suggestions? I have the Hanna salinity/temp, UL phosphate, and HR nitrate. Rest I’ve been using api so I know I need better for sure.
Current pics….sorry for the blues as I got them later in the evening.
81F0191E-7721-44AF-825C-A4F8DC4E8FC7.jpeg
5950D9E4-376A-4471-B62E-8C4E07A17591.jpeg
6C2A9715-B5A4-41F0-80D9-A89D546FC96E.jpeg
B2F67C8A-A241-4190-A4A4-430CE7B819C6.jpeg

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update even tho not getting much feedback lol.
Snails and conch have done great with clean up, did 5 gal water change today around noon then tested about 2 hours after. Using Red Sea coral pro salt so I expect after few water changes for calcium to come up some as well as alk. Going to pick up the Hanna alk an mag checkers this week to add to my test supplies. Maybe the PH one as well just so I have all of my bases covered and all same brand so hopefully keep some consistency.
Pic of the tank right before water change and parameters ~2 hours after change.
8A585974-DD09-49E0-BEA6-7FF0DAE3553F.jpeg
E4C5F852-7257-47EE-B26E-2D06374BB752.png

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update…ordered Hanna alk, calcium, and ph checkers, and salifert mag pro test kit. Should be in Friday. Havnt tested this week yet but will on Friday since I typically do water change on sat or Sundays.
The snails an conch have really done some work last few days on clean up! Really been doing some hard looking at corals online lately an looking forward to adding some more in. Might wait another week an make sure don’t get any other blooms pop up but so far so good.
BD8A6712-B15B-41F7-89BC-4513A57D24B8.jpeg

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real big update, just watching parameters an observing the tank as much I can when home. Did remove the hammer from its plug an glue to rock since he seemed real happy in that spot. Will be testing all parameters tomorrow with the new Hanna checkers an have 5 gal of water mixed for Sunday water change.

Planning on watching the POTO Halloween sale tomorrow an would love to pick up 1 or 2 corals. I could be wrong but I think I’m ready to add some more. No problems with parameters or keeping them steady so far. What do y’all think?

3E02A690-515B-4055-96D5-E62CB9A4D394.jpeg
B50007DA-2FA2-4C8C-BFB8-11201E35E3C5.jpeg
9AEEA745-97D5-42D3-9AC9-C4184FF7D1A3.jpeg

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well another water change day has come, also prepared all my new Hanna checkers to test a few hours after the change. Started out by getting the heater going and small pump in the fresh salt mix bucket going. As it approached 77-78 degrees I scrubbed the glass on the tank and let it filter thru some floss for a bit before starting the siphon and getting as much little particles floating I could (there was hardly any). Then made one last check for temp and salinity in new mix as well as ph. My DT was little low at 7.2 where my new mix was 7.7….so I may need to address what’s causing low ph in my tank as everything else has been good so far. Slowly added the first 2 gallons in by hand pump then poured the remainder in slow as well. Kicked the return pump an heater back on an let it run for 2 hours or so. Initially had some cloudiness but it’s crystal clear now (read that the Red Sea coral pro can mix cloudy so I may need to change my mixing strategy). After the few hours I began checking parameters with all the Hanna checkers and Red Sea mag. Pro kit. As this will now be my benchmark of test and do away with my previous sub par api results.
Here are the results….
CE0D481D-8459-41E9-9488-0FF02BA31380.png

looks like I need to work on getting calcium up some and also maybe alk, and ph as well. This is only second 5 gal change since swapping from the initial 2 little fishes mix to Red Sea coral pro mix, so I hope 1-2 more changes will get me where I want to be.
Oh and also picked up some coral goodies from POTO Halloween live sale . Hopefully they arrive safe and sound an can get them dipped an in the tank Tuesday evening.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try mixing your water change water the day before you put it in the tank and see if that fixes your cloudiness problem. I also put a pump in the bucket with mine and leave it running overnight. Usually after seven hours the water is crystal clear in the bucket.

Back