My first reef tank is a Crystal Dynamics 250 gallon build.

PANONHAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning everyone. I also have a CDA aquarium with a Trigger System 44 Triton. The tank is basically silent once I adjusted the valves on the overflow side. The 3 overflow pipes are submerged in the water. I am sure if you do that it will be fine.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone. I also have a CDA aquarium with a Trigger System 44 Triton. The tank is basically silent once I adjusted the valves on the overflow side. The 3 overflow pipes are submerged in the water. I am sure if you do that it will be fine.

Thanks for these encouraging words. I did leave my emergency overflow above the water so I will know instantly if something has gone haywire.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to see some updates of your aquascaping! ;)

I am trying to get the tank running before I post any pictures of the aquascaping because it deserves to look it's best! :)

This week has been a bit of a trial dealing with a solar system that has been offline for many months, a non-responsive vendor and my Lovely Woman's car needing a windshield replaced because of road debris that punched a hole in the passengers side. I am hoping to refill the tank on Friday and get things running again.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my lights in from BRS so I will need to come up with some DIY hanging for them.

Lights - 1.jpg

eran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The work bench, and shelving unit for the quarantine tanks are in place. Time to start looking into setting up the QT's.
Fish Room Build21.jpg

The quarantine tanks got to be very involved, far more than just 25 gallon glass box. I wanted to experiment with a smaller body of water before forging ahead to my main tank. This has worked out exactly as planned. I made a bunch of mistakes while setting up the QT’s and I have not regretted the complexity I built into them.
Coral QT Tank Equipment .jpg

Being a retired sysadmin I must have my controller and toys, err, modules. I went with the Classic to just get my feet wet with this stuff. It worked out well for me.
QT Apex Build.jpg

Finally the QT's are up and running!
QT Running1.jpg

I started researching a reef tank by reading books, a bunch of books, and discovered that nearly every author had the best way to setup a reef tank. I would need to be careful about what system/information I would chose to follow.

I came across the Red Sea systems and was impressed with them. At the time the largest tank was the Max S-650. I did a YouTube search on the tank and came across such a variety of other videos. I was overwhelmed. In that collection of videos I ran across this channel called BRS, Bulk Reef Supply. They had just started a series called “52 Weeks of Reefing” and it was extremely informative. A side note, it’s been a pleasure watching Ryan change from the stiff, non-animated presenter, to the live stream host he is today.

Sometime later I came across Tidal Gardens. Than’s presentations were a joy to watch with a great deal of helpful information. More books were read, more videos were watched and more research on tanks.

Along the way Red Sea came out with XXL 750 and that was my new tank of desire. I put together an extensive equipment list and cost analysis based mostly from the BRS site. I really like the idea that they were reefers and sold stuff they would use on their personnel tanks. Ok, I was a little biased because they are located in my home state and rather enjoyed hearing the MN accent. Another aside if I may, riddle me this; why is MN my home state when I haven’t lived there for more than 40 years? Both my wife I have still have the majority of our families there so we always smile when we call MN our home. Back to the story…

Enter MACNA 2018. This would be my first MACNA and since Las Vegas is only a 6 hour drive from our current home My Love and I thought it would be a great road trip. An excellent chance to see more of this amazing state of Utah. Yet another side note, there are areas here in Utah where the only sign of humanity is the Interstate road we were on. There were no fences, no power lines, no billboards, not a single indication of humanity for as far as the eye could see. That was a first for me! Even in northern MN there would be powerlines running along the road when there was nothing else but trees.

I was blown away by what I saw there; amazing stuff, everywhere! Here is where I came across the tank and sump of my dreams. While more expensive than the XXL 750 a custom tank from Crystal Dynamic (72x30x27) and a sump from Geosreef (46RD-PRO-AFR) were the setup I had been looking for. The order was placed several months later and I took delivery of this system the 11 January 2019.

The gorgeous sump!
Geosreef1.jpg
Geosreef2.jpg
Geosreef3.jpg
Geosreef4.jpg

The tank is HERE!
Tank HERE!1.jpg
Tank HERE!2.jpg
Tank HERE!3.jpg

With the help of family and great friends the tank is being moved downstairs!
Tank Move1.jpg
Tank Move2.jpg

Here the beauty sits. I really can't believe that this is my tank!
Tank w Doors On.jpg

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per dca22anderson request, here is the aquascaping he created.... :)

When we moved to Utah and I started looking into this hobby I had no idea the incredible resource that was available to me just up the road from us. Dave is an amazing support and a real encouragement. This aquascape is but one of the many things he has helped me with.

Aquascape - 1.jpg
Aquascape - 2.jpg
Aquascape - 3.jpg
Aquascape - 4.jpg
Aquascape - 5.jpg
Aquascape - 6.jpg
Aquascape - 7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making incremental improvements each day. Today I got all the the Apex probes installed and calibrated. It's the geek in me that really feels good about this...lol!

The Seneye should get installed tomorrow and I will start work on getting my lights installed.

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help buddy! You had the final say on the rock and we brought it all together to, IMHO, look amazing!! Can't wait for you to start growing corals all over it!!

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This afternoon's fun was playing with my second favorite tool; making big pieces into smaller pieces.

We have a neighborhood cleanup day coming next week and that gives me the opportunity to get rid of all the tank and stand shipping crates.

In case you were wondering what my favorite tool is, well, it's a hammer because if it breaks it needs replacing. ;)

Sawzall Work - 1.jpg

Sawzall Work - 2.jpg

Sawzall Work - 3.jpg
Sawzall Work - 4.jpg
Tank HERE!2.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back