My first reef tank is a Crystal Dynamics 250 gallon build.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello how thick is your aquarium glass?

1/2 all the way around. 27" tall was the max I could go with 1/2. I had been thinking about 30" tall but that was going to be even more expensive.

Now that I have the tank I am glad I didn't go taller. 27" is entertaining enough. That arms are going to get wet if I have to work on the bottom...lol!

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to dca22anderson who introduced me to the WYZE camera, I can now see what is going on with the DT room, sump and the fish room.

While on vacation in Hawaii it was very helpful to be able to see what's was going on with the tank. The only weakness I see with the Wyze Cam Pan is the depth of field making the wall of the fish room a bit fuzzy. However, the pan function makes up for that weakness.

WYZE Camera Shots - 1.jpg
WYZE Camera Shots - 2.jpg
WYZE Camera Shots - 3.jpg
WYZE Camera Shots - 4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing much to report because all of the tanks are cycling but things are progressing nicely as far as I can tell. The seneye's are showing a decrease in ammonia as well as the API tests. I went with API only for the cycling because the Red Sea test kits did not show a high enough value. Once things drop back into the Red Sea range I will switch back.

I have been looking over my fish list and checking out a LFS, Reef On, to get an idea of what to start with. However my neighbor suggested a Peppermint Angel fish (for a small fee of $30K) as a good start. ;)

Last edited:

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer set up. I will be looking forward to the progression of this beast. I love Salt Lake City and was an Alta pass holder for years. I need to get back to that pass holder status.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer set up. I will be looking forward to the progression of this beast. I love Salt Lake City and was an Alta pass holder for years. I need to get back to that pass holder status.

We are enjoying living here after the many years in San Jose CA. Things are simpler here and the view of the mountains is stunning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending the last several weeks being an irrigation valve repair guy, I found myself with some time on my hands, wondering what I should do with said spare time. It occurred to me that I have several glass boxes with water in them that could use some attention. Having once again discovered them, I set about doing the maintenance that was required. I must admit that the maintenance was a great deal more enjoyable then kneeling on the ground having my head in an irrigation valve box. The outcome of this maintenance was a discovery that all three tanks are nearly completely cycled. I will need to start looking into my fish list and checking with my LFS, Reef On, to see what they have in stock.

We have one more trip this summer to Bismark ND for a nephews wedding as well as a meet up with my last brother who was adopted out. He founds us using one of the DNA search sites, so this should be extremely enjoyable. I was the other brother who grew up in an adopted household. I tracked my family down by making contact with the adoption agency that handled my adoption. It was one of the best things to happen to me. Many of the feelings of abandonment were driven aside once I met my youngest brother for the first time. Shortly after that met up I meet the remaining family members including my mother. That meeting answered so many of the other question I had about my life. I am praying that this meeting will help heal any of the pain this brother had in his life about being an adopted child.

Testing2.jpg

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Don, saw your post on the "how much you spend" thread and figure i check on what you spend those precious dollars...
What a build! Really impressive, i will follow your progress.
I see that we share another interest (post #33), have you tried the glenfiddich 15?
One of my all time favorite.
Just read about your family reunion, happy for you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Don, saw your post on the "how much you spend" thread and figure i check on what you spend those precious dollars...
What a build! Really impressive, i will follow your progress.
I see that we share another interest (post #33), have you tried the glenfiddich 15?
One of my all time favorite.
Just read about your family reunion, happy for you!

Thanks for following along and the encouragement on my build. The cycling portion is taking a lot longer than I had expected but with the different summer travels it hasn't been all bad.

I have indeed had Glenfiddich 15 and found it to be very enjoyable. Living in Utah where the only place you can get good stuff like this is from a state run store has made it more of a challenge but that's the whole idea. It does allow me more funds for the tank however. :)

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following along and the encouragement on my build. The cycling portion is taking a lot longer than I had expected but with the different summer travels it hasn't been all bad.

I have indeed had Glenfiddich 15 and found it to be very enjoyable. Living in Utah where the only place you can get good stuff like this is from a state run store has made it more of a challenge but that's the whole idea. It does allow me more funds for the tank however. :)
Well, in qc i can only buy it from the saq (société des alcools du Québec).
When i go in the states (nh for hiking) i often stop to get a bottle way cheaper then back home.
But as you said, more whisky = less funds for the tank, so moderation have better taste.:D

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank man! Im starting on my Crystal Dynamics 260 build shortly. How is it looking now? I love the plumbing and sump.

Thanks for the kind words. Be sure to poke me when you start your build. I'd love to follow along.

The only thing left to set up is a Kalk Stirrer and the DOS auto water changer. After those are done I should be done with the setup and start adding fish and then corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back