My first reef tank is a Crystal Dynamics 250 gallon build.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish update, both quarantine tanks are full again. One has four Blue Reef Chromis and the other has four Pajama Cardinalfish.

Once again not the best photos so I have ordered a proper filter for the Canon. With a tripod and filter I should get better pictures. No more iPhone photos. :)

Blue Reef Chromis - 1.jpg

Pajama Cardinalfish - 1.jpg

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished reading your build. What an inspirational set-up and perfect timing as I am waiting (patiently) for my CD tank. Last I heard it will be sometime in Nov. and your build only makes it harder to wait! The only thing good about the 3 month wait is it give more time to save the $$$ to pay the final installment.

I cant wait to see how your tank progresses.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a tough week; I have lost my four Blue Reef Chromis while they were in QT. They had made it three weeks before they came down rapid breathing and darting. I started treating with Furan 2 and PraziPro. Apparently this was the wrong combination or I didn't catch things soon enough because the end result was I lost all four of them. They certainly were lovely fish.

Then one of the Pajama Cardinals came down with fin rot and a bit of fuzz on the mouth. I started treating with ParaGuard and that seems to be working. The other three had the fuzz on their mouths that showed up a day later but no fin rot.

A 50% water change was done as well. I needed to clean up the detritus that was collecting and figured I might as well go for a large water change.

I have decided to upgrade the UV sterilizers that I have on each tank. I know that's not a cure but if I can prevent or slow down the bad stuff I figure that's worth the cost.

My question is, what's the best way to clean the QT where the Reef Chromis were? Everything is coming out, the pumps will sit in citric acid, and the rest of the removable stuff will be in vinegar. So, I am wondering if I should just wipe the tank down and then fill it with RO/DI and let it run for a couple a days and then repeat wiping and refilling or should I also run something in the RO/ID?

MatsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a tough week; I have lost my four Blue Reef Chromis while they were in QT.

My question is, what's the best way to clean the QT where the Reef Chromis were? Everything is coming out, the pumps will sit in citric acid, and the rest of the removable stuff will be in vinegar. So, I am wondering if I should just wipe the tank down and then fill it with RO/DI and let it run for a couple a days and then repeat wiping and refilling or should I also run something in the RO/ID?

Don,

Sorry about losing the Chromis.

When cleaning a QT tank I clean it out with a very diluted bleach/water solution. Like a 5% bleach. Then I rinse with tap water. After that I blast all equipment with a heavy duty fan for a couple days until I know everything and I mean everything is absolutely dry. As far as I know the drying is the key part. I’ve only dealt with ich and did TTM then QT so that’s the extent of my experience.

Enjoying reading this thread and seeing your progress. Also glad to read about your family reconnections.

Mathew

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don,

Sorry about losing the Chromis.

When cleaning a QT tank I clean it out with a very diluted bleach/water solution. Like a 5% bleach. Then I rinse with tap water. After that I blast all equipment with a heavy duty fan for a couple days until I know everything and I mean everything is absolutely dry. As far as I know the drying is the key part. I’ve only dealt with ich and did TTM then QT so that’s the extent of my experience.

Enjoying reading this thread and seeing your progress. Also glad to read about your family reconnections.

Mathew

I had wondered about using bleach and I like your approach so I will give this a go.

Thanks for your kind words.

MatsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don,

Since I didn’t remember to mention it before. Make sure to use plain old bleach. Nothing with any flowered scents or other agents.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your build coming along?

I moved my second set of fish out of quarantine last week :)

I am cleaning and restarting the QT systems but I will hold off getting any more fish until after the holidays. At least that's what I am telling myself right now. I almost believe it...lol!

How's your setup doing? Did you get the coral tank and the rest of your hardware?

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my second set of fish out of quarantine last week :)

I am cleaning and restarting the QT systems but I will hold off getting any more fish until after the holidays. At least that's what I am telling myself right now. I almost believe it...lol!

How's your setup doing? Did you get the coral tank and the rest of your hardware?
That’s awesome, there are some good deals on fish right now

added some corals, fish are huge, still need parts ‍♂️

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little plumbing today to get the Versa hooked up. I am doing some testing to see how three heads on the Versa compare to the PMUP. So far it looks like the Versa is moving a lot more water which I find interesting. I wasn't expecting this.

The next item on my list is to figure out some way to fill my ATO automatically so I can stop dealing with it.

Versa Hooked Up - 1.jpg

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little plumbing today to get the Versa hooked up. I am doing some testing to see how three heads on the Versa compare to the PMUP. So far it looks like the Versa is moving a lot more water which I find interesting. I wasn't expecting this.

The next item on my list is to figure out some way to fill my ATO automatically so I can stop dealing with it.

Versa Hooked Up - 1.jpg
just got mine in today

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Versa Hooked Up - 1.jpg
Wait a minute, are you using 3 versa pumps to do one task? That's insane! Hehe... what do you need so much flow for? Or was that just to test it out?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back