My first reef tank is a Crystal Dynamics 250 gallon build.

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome build you have my attention! I’m looking to do a similar build to this within a year or so, any insight or information you can provide would be a great help! What books did you read? How did you go about choosing your equipment? I’m thinking about putting together a spreadsheet for equipment and stands I will need to purchase/make. I follow the BRS YouTube channel and Tidal Garden, they are great channels!

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome build you have my attention! I’m looking to do a similar build to this within a year or so, any insight or information you can provide would be a great help! What books did you read? How did you go about choosing your equipment? I’m thinking about putting together a spreadsheet for equipment and stands I will need to purchase/make. I follow the BRS YouTube channel and Tidal Garden, they are great channels!

Thank you for your kind words, I hope you will enjoy the ride.

I have read nearly every book available for Kindle and iBook, read Mr Saltwater articles, BRS videos, Tidal Garden, FishofHex, Mad Hatters Reef, REEF2REEF (of course) and anything else I could find.

I started researching Red Sea Reefers until I saw the Crystal Dynamics tank in the Neptune booth at last years MACNA. After that I stopped by the CD booth and talked to the folks there. I was so impressed with the tank that I decided to go with them instead of Red Sea. Since I now needed a sump, Geosreef was a couple of booths down from CD and with the built in Roller Mat and the outstanding workmanship that settled it for my sump.

I choose the Lifereef protein skimmer based on what I read in several forums.

I have not regretted a single choice I have made but be warned, this is an expensive build!

Last edited:

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your kind words, I hope you will enjoy the ride.

I have read nearly every book available for Kindle and iBook, read Mr Saltwater articles, BRS videos, Tidal Garden, FishofHex, Mad Hatters Reef, REEF2REEF (of course) and anything else I could find.

I started researching Red Sea Reefers until I saw the Crystal Dynamics tank in the Neptune booth at last years MACNA. After that I stopped by the CD booth and talked to the folks there. I was so impressed with the tank that I decided to go with them instead of Red Sea. Since I now needed a sump, Geosreef was a couple of booths down from CD and with the built in Roller Mat and the outstanding workmanship that settled it for my sump.

I choose the Lifereef protein skimmer based on what I read in several forums.

I have not regretted a single choice I have made but be warned, this is an expensive build!

I have yet to read any books but I follow and watch all of the YouTubers you listed. My current set up is two 40 breeders. I got glass cut and turned one into a sump and the other I installed a Euro brace on. I’ve had this setup up and running for almost a year now. I’ll be moving out late next year and am starting to plan out what this new build will look like. It will mostly be based off of your set up. A lot of the equipment I purchased for my breeders were oversized for the inevitable upgrade to a larger tank. However, there is a lot I still need to get for this large setup. The hardest part to the build I think will be finding the perfect stand and canopy combo and then mounting the lights I end up choosing. I’ve always wanted to try the LED and T5 Bulb setup. Anyway, I love your build so far and can’t wait to see the live stock you chose!

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more fish to quarantine tanks; Firefish and Scissortail Dartfish. I have a Royal Gramma on order as well.

I think I need to get a filter for the phone...

Firefish-Scissortail Dartfish - 1.jpg

Scissortail Dartfish - 1.jpg

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... do we have some fish in the display??

Not yet, I am dealing with low ph so I would like to get that in a better range before adding the fish. That’s probably a silly reason but I would rather mess with the chemistry with no fish in the tank.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent yesterday, Friday, driving to three local LFS, that last one was 120 mile round trip but worth it, Aquatic Dreams. Aquatic Dreams was the shop that I picked up my next set of fish for quarantine which are the Blue Reef Chromis. Lovely, lovely fish! I was very happy to find these guys locally because I haven't seen them at any of the other shops and I figured I would have to get them online.

My second QT is going to house four Pajama Cardinalfish which are from ORA. I don't mind a couple of dollars more per fish to get tank raised fish. It's the first thing I looked for when putting together my fish list, as well as looking for additions to the list.

(This picture does not do them justice so I will be working on getting a better shot)

Blue Reef Chrpmis - 1.jpg

Aero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice build thread! Crystal Dynamics makes some excellent quality displays!! Next custom build will definitely go with them.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back